Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 25 years ago today America was reborn

1. -21
    MoFinz
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferretsquig
    As I said...the people bought it. You are told what to believe and you just accept it....I just have trouble accepting things without actually trying for formulate a different opinion based on knowledge aquired. But your description is fine....sounds like John Wayne. I suppose its what every American super hero is supposed to be like.

LOL....the liberal elite folks..more intelligent and discerning than the facts. Gotta love 'em.

The day you can pigeon hole me is the day they sell Sno-Cones in Hell son. But you just go along thinking youre smarter or more intellectual than everyone else. Someday your superiority complex will come back to bite ya right in the keister
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a land far, far away
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spydertl79
    Not the best president of the last 100 years, but he was a good president.
    I rank the last centuries presidents like this:
    1.) FDR
    2.) Truman
    3.) Reagan
    4.) Clinton
    5.) Wilson
    Agreed 100%

The order may change slightly... but those top 5 are mine as well.
    The thing is, I tend to look at things more objectively than hard core Reps/Dems... I don't vote along any party lines, nore do I evaluate a president based on his party affiliation.
    I really get tired of the people who just can't seem to see past that Donkey or Elephant
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    The Big Zonk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Top five presidents of the 20th Century:

1. FDR

Led the nation through WW II and the Great Depression. Is responsible for the creation of Social Security. Was elected four consecutive times. No-brainer for the top slot.

2. JFK

Interested millions of Baby Boomers in public service. Top achievement is the Apollo Program, which stimulated numerous areas of technology and disproved the Soviet's assertion of technological superiority. Is at least partly, if not primarily, responsible for the Civil Rights Act of '64 and Medicare, two of the great achievements of the last half century. Inspired and changed the nation like few others, and who knows all of the good he would have done had he not been assassinated.

3. Truman

Made the right move by using a nuclear bomb against Japan. Probably over did it by dropping another one on them, but it did end the war without costing us 1,000,000 American lives, the projected cost of an amphibious assault on Japan. Is responsible for the Marshall Plan and the Truman Doctrine. Arguably responsible for the federal government making the first real steps in the civil rights arena. Key supporter of the GI Bill of Rights, and fought to keep it in place. Actually took responsibility for his mistakes, unlike many who have occupied the White House since.

4. Clinton

Presided over the longest period of economic expansion in American history. Brought back fiscal responsibility to Washington, and managed to achieve welfare reform. Changed the Democrats' image on crime and welfare, two major political achievements that were unthinkable after the Mondale & Dukakis debacles. Signed the Family and Medical Leave Act of '93. Created AmeriCorps.

5. Eisenhower

Gotta give him a spot on the list simply due to his excellent leadership during WW II. As president, he managed to keep the nation fairly united, and in decent shape. Signed the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, which created our current Interstate network (Almost as impressive as Gore's creation of the Internet JK)

------

What Reagan did to PATCO was unconscionable and ultimately worse than Watergate, and that alone keeps Reagan off the list (Not to mention his unsustainable, long-term, structural deficits, Iran-Contra, and his ill-fated decision to basically arm jihadists in Afghanistan) despite his notable political achievements. The prosperity that occurred on his watch is less impressive today than it was fifteen years ago due to the more spectacular prosperity we saw under Clinton. He did deserve to be elected in 1980, though. I will give him that. Like Bush, Carter was an inept president who didn't deserve to be re-elected. Like Kerry, Reagan deserved a shot at the presidency despite many reservations.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Another reason to acknowledge JFK's greatness. He almost single-handedly kept the US generals from starting a nuclear war.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    The Big Zonk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferretsquig
    Another reason to acknowledge JFK's greatness. He almost single-handedly kept the US generals from starting a nuclear war.
    Saving the world like Kennedy did isn't nearly as impressive as busting an entire national union (PATCO) while cutting taxes by about 50% for millionaires like Reagan did

Oh, and that was real funny when conservatives decided to name the capital's aiport after Reagan :rofl3:

I'm surprised they haven't tried to rename Washington, D.C., "Reagangrad"
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Certified Jesus Freak

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hawaii
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My choice for the next great American President.

Hey, one can dream right. :patriot:

Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz
    Saving the world like Kennedy did isn't nearly as impressive as busting an entire national union (PATCO) while cutting taxes by about 50% for millionaires like Reagan did

Oh, and that was real funny when conservatives decided to name the capital's aiport after Reagan :rofl3:

I'm surprised they haven't tried to rename Washington, D.C., "Reagangrad"
    They came pretty close, just about everything in D.C. is called the RR building or something close, it's rediculous for someone who took so much from the middle class and gave it to the rich.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansMojo View Post
    My choice for the next great American President.

Hey, one can dream right. :patriot:
    David Palmer was one bad as$ president.

You guys are ranking the best. I am most curious as to which one would make your bottom five. I have a good guess as to who one of them would be.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In before everyone jizzes their pants over WeVie coming back...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    In before everyone jizzes their pants over WeVie coming back...

Too late dude. WeVie being back is like two week old news bro. lol.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote