Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Purpose of D. Barnes

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

The Purpose of D. Barnes

This is just speculation on my part, but I think Darian Barnes was brought in here for one reason -- to create a tougher mentality and identity on offense. We couldn't swap out WRs, QBs, or offensive linemen, so we got a TOUGH player at a position we COULD swap out -- fullback.

Answer me this -- when's the last time you saw ANY player on our offense barking at an opposing defense after a play like Barnes did yesterday?

This has been a key missing ingredient from our offense for YEARS IMO. I don't think Barnes can change that singlehandedly, but I'm glad to see the front office is working on it. That's yet another benefit of having Randy Mueller -- if you've ever read his columns in ESPN.com "Insider," you'll know he thinks along these lines. I think he and Saban are going to be a great mix. Saban wants a tough, physical team, and Mueller is starting to get him the players for it.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Odessa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Patriots Homer
Gift received at 08-12-2014, 07:53 PM from flynryan15
    there was one play where he blocked his man well into the defensive backfield. Very impressive.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finjim
    there was one play where he blocked his man well into the defensive backfield. Very impressive.
    I don't know if it was the same play, but there was one where he basically glued himself to Keith Brooking and drove him all over the field against his will too.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was going to make a post about him. He is a big dude!!! The holes he was creating were big for R&R. I like the way he plays the game...110%
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Birmingham
    Thanks / No Thanks
    just curious, was he a street free agent, or did we pick him up off of someone's practice squad?
    he looked tough yesterday...
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Fin Fan from MD

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah he does throw his weight around and create some holes. he definetely knocked the crap out of Brooking on one drive and they replayed it a couple of times.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miamitd13
    just curious, was he a street free agent, or did we pick him up off of someone's practice squad?
    he looked tough yesterday...
    I think he was a street FA, but he started a handful of games for Dallas last year.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    GA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shouright
    This is just speculation on my part, but I think Darian Barnes was brought in here for one reason -- to create a tougher mentality and identity on offense. We couldn't swap out WRs, QBs, or offensive linemen, so we got a TOUGH player at a position we COULD swap out -- fullback.

Answer me this -- when's the last time you saw ANY player on our offense barking at an opposing defense after a play like Barnes did yesterday?

This has been a key missing ingredient from our offense for YEARS IMO. I don't think Barnes can change that singlehandedly, but I'm glad to see the front office is working on it. That's yet another benefit of having Randy Mueller -- if you've ever read his columns in ESPN.com "Insider," you'll know he thinks along these lines. I think he and Saban are going to be a great mix. Saban wants a tough, physical team, and Mueller is starting to get him the players for it.
    It's good to see some tough guys on the team, I was tired of being the nice guys
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Odessa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Patriots Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by shouright
    I don't know if it was the same play, but there was one where he basically glued himself to Keith Brooking and drove him all over the field against his will too.
    Yeah, that was it. He manhandled him!
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Fluff Girls are underpaid.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This was one key ingredient (over the years) we've been missing to a power running game. It's been a long time since we've had this type of presence at FB. This guy is simply impressive to watch. Once I started watching him, I couldn't stop.

I BELIEVE this is Saban slowly removing some of the play calling from Linehan and changing the playbook to more of his style.

It's still infuriating to watch us run at will only to stop and start running gadget plays.

This is the NFL, when you can run the ball as effectively as we have started to in the past few weeks... you ram it down people's throats.

It's like we are holding the running game back because we are afraid it will work.

I disliked Wanny as a coach. And I hated running the ball EVERY play. But, that doesn't mean abandon all running. It seems Linehan has some learning to do about incorporating a power running game with his offense.

I hope he gets off his horse and realizes what he has on the field.
    Quote Quote