Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Another marriage: Evolution and Creationism

  1. -1
    Wildbill3's Avatar
    Misery Loves Company

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2001
    Posts:
    24,913
    vCash:
    2094
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!

    Another marriage: Evolution and Creationism

    http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/11....ap/index.html

    To be honest, I can't see how anyone would have a problem with the intent of this, which bascially says: Study evolution for your test(s) but understand that it is okay to believe in God, or something similar.

    The standards state that high school students must understand major evolutionary concepts. But they also declare that some concepts have been challenged in recent years by fossil evidence and molecular biology.

    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    Jimmy James's Avatar
    You sit on a throne of lies!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2003
    Posts:
    21,735
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think what you state is fine. I have no problem with the science teacher explaining that the students have to know this stuff but that it is up to them to reconcile it with whatever their beliefs are.

    Once we talk about "challenging" evolution with pseudoscience, it crosses a line.




    I've got so many lawyers lined up to see me, you'd think I had tobacco leaking out of my breast implants.
    - Jimmy James
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    Wildbill3's Avatar
    Misery Loves Company

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2001
    Posts:
    24,913
    vCash:
    2094
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
    I think what you state is fine. I have no problem with the science teacher explaining that the students have to know this stuff but that it is up to them to reconcile it with whatever their beliefs are.

    Once we talk about "challenging" evolution with pseudoscience, it crosses a line.
    I agree, I also think that until scienctists rule out "all" possiblities, they should endeavor to include every idea that is possible. You can't rule out the possiblity of a higher power, esp. since evolution would lead to an ulitmate being.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    PHINATIC13's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    5,443
    vCash:
    1272
    Loc:
    Los Angeles,CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    to quote Robin Williams"I think Darwin was adopted"........seriously though I would like to see them (educators) simply give the students the facts and let them apply any "belief" they may have.
    thanks for the sig like2god





    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Ferretsquig's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2002
    Posts:
    7,433
    vCash:
    1504
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena.


    This is a sad day. We're becoming a laughingstock of not only the nation, but of the world, and I hate that
    Well gotta agree with that. Well for most of this nation its probably not the case....but the rest of the world is laughing. Next lets tackle math. Mabey we can redefine it as well? God must has something to do with it right?
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Jimmy James's Avatar
    You sit on a throne of lies!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2003
    Posts:
    21,735
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3
    I agree, I also think that until scienctists rule out "all" possiblities, they should endeavor to include every idea that is possible. You can't rule out the possiblity of a higher power, esp. since evolution would lead to an ulitmate being.
    I don't think you can teach that as science, though. You can neither rule out or rule in the possibility of a higher power -- it is beyond this reality of ours. Science can't test it. I think teaching science needs to start with the understanding that science isn't religion and religion isn't science. If we covered that carefully once, I think it would solve all the problems.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Wildbill3's Avatar
    Misery Loves Company

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2001
    Posts:
    24,913
    vCash:
    2094
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
    I don't think you can teach that as science, though. You can neither rule out or rule in the possibility of a higher power -- it is beyond this reality of ours. Science can't test it. I think teaching science needs to start with the understanding that science isn't religion and religion isn't science. If we covered that carefully once, I think it would solve all the problems.
    We don't know what the limits are for science, advancements in science may very well allow us to one day discover how far evolution is capable of taking the universe.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Jimmy James's Avatar
    You sit on a throne of lies!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2003
    Posts:
    21,735
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3
    We don't know what the limits are for science, advancements in science may very well allow us to one day discover how far evolution is capable of taking the universe.
    That isn't supportable by today's science, though. We can't speculate in science class. I mean, we could learn that science is just one big cosmic joke next Thursday. We can't teach that in science, either.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    Wildbill3's Avatar
    Misery Loves Company

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2001
    Posts:
    24,913
    vCash:
    2094
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
    That isn't supportable by today's science, though. We can't speculate in science class. I mean, we could learn that science is just one big cosmic joke next Thursday. We can't teach that in science, either.
    Right, but my point is that we shouldn't flat out put limitations on science. It is only the scope of our vision that is the limiting factor.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Blitz's Avatar
    The Big Zonk

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2002
    Posts:
    8,208
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferretsquig
    Next lets tackle math. Mabey we can redefine it as well? God must has something to do with it right?
    Let's start by calling pi, "God's Most Almighty Number"
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Creationism (sorry)
    By ABrownLamp in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 185
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 05:03 PM
  2. creationism in our schools
    By Alien in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-22-2005, 07:27 PM
  3. Poll: Creationism or Evolution?
    By spydertl79 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 03:34 PM
  4. Wow!!! Creationism on the move in schools; from PA to CA...
    By Wildbill3 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 04:37 AM
  5. Victory for Creationism
    By Wildbill3 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 228
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 06:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •