Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Another marriage: Evolution and Creationism

1. -1
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!

Another marriage: Evolution and Creationism

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/11....ap/index.html

To be honest, I can't see how anyone would have a problem with the intent of this, which bascially says: Study evolution for your test(s) but understand that it is okay to believe in God, or something similar.

The standards state that high school students must understand major evolutionary concepts. But they also declare that some concepts have been challenged in recent years by fossil evidence and molecular biology.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    You sit on a throne of lies!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think what you state is fine. I have no problem with the science teacher explaining that the students have to know this stuff but that it is up to them to reconcile it with whatever their beliefs are.

Once we talk about "challenging" evolution with pseudoscience, it crosses a line.

I've got so many lawyers lined up to see me, you'd think I had tobacco leaking out of my breast implants.
    - Jimmy James
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
    I think what you state is fine. I have no problem with the science teacher explaining that the students have to know this stuff but that it is up to them to reconcile it with whatever their beliefs are.

Once we talk about "challenging" evolution with pseudoscience, it crosses a line.
    I agree, I also think that until scienctists rule out "all" possiblities, they should endeavor to include every idea that is possible. You can't rule out the possiblity of a higher power, esp. since evolution would lead to an ulitmate being.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles,CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    to quote Robin Williams"I think Darwin was adopted"........seriously though I would like to see them (educators) simply give the students the facts and let them apply any "belief" they may have.
    thanks for the sig like2god

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena.

This is a sad day. We're becoming a laughingstock of not only the nation, but of the world, and I hate that
    Well gotta agree with that. Well for most of this nation its probably not the case....but the rest of the world is laughing. Next lets tackle math. Mabey we can redefine it as well? God must has something to do with it right?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3
    I agree, I also think that until scienctists rule out "all" possiblities, they should endeavor to include every idea that is possible. You can't rule out the possiblity of a higher power, esp. since evolution would lead to an ulitmate being.
    I don't think you can teach that as science, though. You can neither rule out or rule in the possibility of a higher power -- it is beyond this reality of ours. Science can't test it. I think teaching science needs to start with the understanding that science isn't religion and religion isn't science. If we covered that carefully once, I think it would solve all the problems.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think you can teach that as science, though. You can neither rule out or rule in the possibility of a higher power -- it is beyond this reality of ours. Science can't test it. I think teaching science needs to start with the understanding that science isn't religion and religion isn't science. If we covered that carefully once, I think it would solve all the problems.
    We don't know what the limits are for science, advancements in science may very well allow us to one day discover how far evolution is capable of taking the universe.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3
    We don't know what the limits are for science, advancements in science may very well allow us to one day discover how far evolution is capable of taking the universe.
    That isn't supportable by today's science, though. We can't speculate in science class. I mean, we could learn that science is just one big cosmic joke next Thursday. We can't teach that in science, either.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That isn't supportable by today's science, though. We can't speculate in science class. I mean, we could learn that science is just one big cosmic joke next Thursday. We can't teach that in science, either.
    Right, but my point is that we shouldn't flat out put limitations on science. It is only the scope of our vision that is the limiting factor.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    The Big Zonk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferretsquig
    Next lets tackle math. Mabey we can redefine it as well? God must has something to do with it right?
    Let's start by calling pi, "God's Most Almighty Number"
    Quote Quote