Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dolphins must not reach for a QB!

1. -1
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dolphins must not reach for a QB!

Word out of San Fran is that last year's 1st Overall pick Alex Smith is a bust in the making.. The guy has 0 TDs and 9 INTs and multiple fumbles. To top it off, it appears his hands are too small which makes it difficult for him to hold onto a NFL regulation football.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

I was very wary of Smith and am very thankful that Saban steered clear of him and didnt do something foolish like many here were suggesting and trade up for him. But this should be a lesson, dont reach for a QB out of NEED because it may end up crippling your franchise. Smith shot up by default, since Leinart stayed in school.

I trust Saban and Mueller though, particularly Mueller in terms of drafting QBs.. But I hope the scouts are dilligent even to these seemingly minute details such as hand size.
    FIRE FAILBIN

**If the Dolphins make the playoffs, this sig will become HIRE PHILWIN**
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Wheres the hookah?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think its too early to call him a bust.. but I too had some uneasy feelings about him. I think Aarron Rogers is going to have a better future.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that the 9ers dumped the bank on Alex smith and well... the rest of that team needs some serious work.

where we are doing it the otherway around.. we are building the team first then installing a QB I like this rout better
    You cant polish a turd into a golden nugget.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Da Dalphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flawda
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin
    Smith shot up by default, since Leinart stayed in school.

although i agree he is not a good QB, and i never wanted to get close to him in the draft. that statement is wrong.

It was Leinart and Smith 1 & 2 before Leinart went back. Infact, even though Leinart is from Cali, word was SF was leaning towards Smith being the #1 before leinart announced his return.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nappy Roots
    although i agree he is not a good QB, and i never wanted to get close to him in the draft. that statement is wrong.

It was Leinart and Smith 1 & 2 before Leinart went back. Infact, even though Leinart is from Cali, word was SF was leaning towards Smith being the #1 before leinart announced his return.
    I dont know.. I remember the situation a little differently. Leinart was the CLEAR number 1 around January.. Smith was mentioned, but more like a mid 1st type QB.. After Leinart stayed, the hype went to Smith and shot him up along with Rodgers.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The small hands issue is something I'm surprised that no one discovered pre-draft and is the only thing about Smith that concerns me.

The mental mistakes and rough play outside of the hands problem are things that I believe Smith is intelligent and talented enough to overcome in time. He has the unenviable job of being a rookie starting for one of the worst NFL teams this year.

I don't think it was ever in Saban's mind to consider a trade up a said as much before the draft (about trading draft picks) but I believe that Saban would have taken Smith if he had fallen to the #2 spot. It's hard to say how he would have fared here.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    too ealry to call him a bust..... remember people were saying the same thing about Eli last year... and he has improved alot this year.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Golden, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We might be better off waiting until 2007 draft for high round qb if bargaining agreement is reworked putting a cap on draftee contracts.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    1st Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree, if you're selecting a QB in the first round just because he's the best QB available in that particular draft... you're asking for trouble.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The guy has only played in 4 games! Not to mention hes 2 years younger than most QBs that come out of college. He will be a good QB in time.

I would have expected a little more patience with QBs from AJ Feeley's number 2 supporter..
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Eli Manning was considered a bust his first year.Everyone knew Smith would take a few years of development before he became a NFL caliber QB.

IMO he was thrown to the wolves too early .The Niners are still one of the worst teams.

There have been other starting QBs with small hands and this apparent impediment can be overcome.

Quote Quote