Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 19 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush "Said He Went Around The Law, Which Is A Violation of the Law--Which is Illegal"

1. -1
    The Big Zonk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Bush "Said He Went Around The Law, Which Is A Violation of the Law--Which is Illegal"

WASHINGTON - Facing angry criticism and challenges to his authority in Congress, President Bush on Saturday unapologetically defended his administration's right to conduct secret post-Sept. 11 spying in the United States as "critical to saving American lives."

Bush said his authority to approve what he called a "vital tool in our war against the terrorists" came from his constitutional powers as commander in chief. He said that he has personally signed off on reauthorizations more than 30 times.

"The American people expect me to do everything in my power under our laws and Constitution to protect them and their civil liberties," Bush said. "And that is exactly what I will continue to do, so long as I'm the president of the United States."

Often appearing angry in an eight-minute address, the president made clear he has no intention of halting his authorizations of the monitoring activities and said public disclosure of the program by the news media had endangered Americans.

James Bamford, author of two books on the NSA, said the program could be problematic because it bypasses a special court set up by the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act to authorize eavesdropping on suspected terrorists.

"I didn't hear him specify any legal right, except his right as president, which in a democracy doesn't make much sense," Bamford said in an interview. "Today, what Bush said is he went around the law, which is a violation of the law — which is illegal."

"I tell you, he's President George Bush, not King George Bush. This is not the system of government we have and that we fought for," Sen. Russell Feingold, D-Wis., told The Associated Press.

Added Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.: "The Bush administration seems to believe it is above the law."

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051218/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz
    WASHINGTON - Facing angry criticism and challenges to his authority in Congress, President Bush on Saturday unapologetically defended his administration's right to conduct secret post-Sept. 11 spying in the United States as "critical to saving American lives."

Bush said his authority to approve what he called a "vital tool in our war against the terrorists" came from his constitutional powers as commander in chief. He said that he has personally signed off on reauthorizations more than 30 times.

"The American people expect me to do everything in my power under our laws and Constitution to protect them and their civil liberties," Bush said. "And that is exactly what I will continue to do, so long as I'm the president of the United States."

Often appearing angry in an eight-minute address, the president made clear he has no intention of halting his authorizations of the monitoring activities and said public disclosure of the program by the news media had endangered Americans.

James Bamford, author of two books on the NSA, said the program could be problematic because it bypasses a special court set up by the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act to authorize eavesdropping on suspected terrorists.

"I didn't hear him specify any legal right, except his right as president, which in a democracy doesn't make much sense," Bamford said in an interview. "Today, what Bush said is he went around the law, which is a violation of the law — which is illegal."

"I tell you, he's President George Bush, not King George Bush. This is not the system of government we have and that we fought for," Sen. Russell Feingold, D-Wis., told The Associated Press.

Added Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.: "The Bush administration seems to believe it is above the law."

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051218/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush
    Did you find any Rep congressmen quotes like that?

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Maybe they should make him testify to a grand jury then hold his last years as a president hostage. Oh yea, its alright to lie as long as it isnt under oath or about your sex life.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfansince72
    Maybe they should make him testify to a grand jury then hold his last years as a president hostage. Oh yea, its alright to lie as long as it isnt under oath or about your sex life.
    That's because bl*w j*bs in the oval office are news worthy

No, in all seriousness without a house/senate majority the president (Bush II) would never get impeached for just about anything he'd do.
    "It's the Ricky and Ronnie Show!":cpatch:
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    MoFinz
    Think the headline of this thread is a little misleading?

Is there anything you wont stoop to? I mean, besides Gores mule?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    The Man The Myth The Kung Fu Master

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz
    Think the headline of this thread is a little misleading?

Is there anything you wont stoop to? I mean, besides Gores mule?
    Smokescreen tactic #1

Change subject by attacking poster instead of the morally corrupt subject that is the center of the article.

Blow Job apprently again is worse than the deaths of thousands/the conitnued trampling of rights...

No one could tell me where my soul might be;
    I searched for God, but He eluded me;
    I sought my brother out and found all three.

- Poet Howard Crosby

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    wiley veteran bad spelur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    indian river country
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin
    your KILLIN' me here...
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Again the war powers act gives him that right so long as he informed the secret court and the leaders of congress.

At the end of the day this indignation coming from the congress ppl from the left is going to hurt them. They all know how this works because they all had to vote to give him the authority under the war powers act. And if they didn't know this works they need to quit.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall
    Again the war powers act gives him that right so long as he informed the secret court and the leaders of congress.

At the end of the day this indignation coming from the congress ppl from the left is going to hurt them. They all know how this works because they all had to vote to give him the authority under the war powers act. And if they didn't know this works they need to quit.
    I still dont see how the War Powers Act of 73 covers this.

Quote Quote