Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC Mass Transit Strike

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

NYC Mass Transit Strike

Ok, Im a big proponent of worker's rights, normally they'd have my support but damn to strike in the middle of the holiday, er Christmas season just seems so mean spirited. I cant blame the politicians in New York for being upset, the city is going to lose tons of money daily. Seems like a strong arm tactic that is going to backfire. Somehow I cant see this endly well. Anyone in New York here?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Mad Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    From what I had heard the transit workers are looking for something like a 28% raise.

The system is already losing lots of money in NYC and can not afford such an increase.

God Bless the unions.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfansince72
    Ok, Im a big proponent of worker's rights, normally they'd have my support but damn to strike in the middle of the holiday, er Christmas season just seems so mean spirited. I cant blame the politicians in New York for being upset, the city is going to lose tons of money daily. Seems like a strong arm tactic that is going to backfire. Somehow I cant see this endly well. Anyone in New York here?
    Not from New York but I was there for the first time last year. Without the rail and subway system, that Manhatten will shut down. that's the primary means of transportation in NYC
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    The Big Zonk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zachseau13
    From what I had heard the transit workers are looking for something like a 28% raise.
    They were willing to take less than a 6% raise, but the city scoffed at any kind of raise. The strike is going to cost the city about $400 million a day, so my guess is the union will get some sort of pay raise within the next day or two.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How much do these subway/rail workers make?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Would I be a Parcells guy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A_USA_DS
    How much do these subway/rail workers make?
    I'm not really sure, but I'd guess it's more than we'd expect. But, you must also remember that NY is the most expensive place to live, and its only getting worse. The MTA had a huge surplus this year, which prompted the union to demand its share of the pie, before the contract expired 1 week before Christmas.
    It is also illegal for mass transit workers to strike in NY, they will be fined heavily for this. The last strike in 1980 cost twice their daily pay per day for 12 days. The story is that everything they gained during the strike was wiped out by fines.

IT IS SO GOOD TO BE BACK HOME.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a land far, far away
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfansince72
    to strike in the middle of the holiday, er Christmas season just seems so mean spirited.
    to be fair... that's when the contract ends...they really have little control over that....
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a land far, far away
    Thanks / No Thanks
    MTA is grossly mis-managed..... I'm not sure about a "surplus" last year.... I do know it wasn't long ago that they had one, yet I have been under the impression that they've been in the red lately... hence the rate hikes, and diminished manpower at stations, etc....
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisn'WithYour'n
    I'm not really sure, but I'd guess it's more than we'd expect. But, you must also remember that NY is the most expensive place to live, and its only getting worse. The MTA had a huge surplus this year, which prompted the union to demand its share of the pie, before the contract expired 1 week before Christmas.
    It is also illegal for mass transit workers to strike in NY, they will be fined heavily for this. The last strike in 1980 cost twice their daily pay per day for 12 days. The story is that everything they gained during the strike was wiped out by fines.
    well it was my experience when I was there last year that the majority of those who work in new york live outside of the new york area. I rode the NJ Transit from Trenton to NY and the train was PACKED with people riding the train to work.

I'm wiling to bet though that they probably make more money than I do!
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Would I be a Parcells guy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A_USA_DS
    well it was my experience when I was there last year that the majority of those who work in new york live outside of the new york area. I rode the NJ Transit from Trenton to NY and the train was PACKED with people riding the train to work.

I'm wiling to bet though that they probably make more money than I do!
    I live in Long Island and have worked in NY off and on for the last few years.
    The trains are packed riding in from every direction, Conn and LI too. Luckily those trains have a different union, and are running today.
    A lot of people do commute into Manhattan, but the transit workers live primarily in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island.
    They probably do make more than same skilled workers in other parts of the country. But they pay it all to rent, food, and entertainment, all of which is more expensive than anywhere else in the country.
    Quote Quote