Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rookie of the Year ???

1. -31
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Who holds the NFL record for Yards per Carry? One of you "Spock ear wearing geeks who probably never even kissed a girl" may know, but it is not a stat that you can really sink your teeth into. It's not the stat that people are shooting for. It is the stat that fans of the player who didn't get the rushing yardage title love to bring up so they can talk about "what if". It doesn't take the ROTY award to justify our draft pick. TB might have taken Ronnie if they had picked before us. It seems I remember Gruden having a "stiffy" talking about Ronnie and him having the best hands of anyone in the draft including wide receivers. Both backs filled the roles their teams asked them to. I think it is pointless to worry about needing the ROTY award to validate our pick.
    There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who can't.

3 out of 2 people have trouble with math.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Huard for QB!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SCall13
    Oh yeah. IT was unbelievable how Caddy outplayed Ronnie:

Caddy: 1178 rushing yards (4.1 YPC) 6 TDs, 81 yards recieving = total yards 1259 combined yards per touch 4.1 yards.
    Ronnie: 907 rushing yards (4.4 ypc) 4 TDs, 232 recieving yards, 1 TD = 1139 total yards. Combined yards per touch: 4.8 yards

Combined number of opportunities: Caddy = 310
    Ronnie = 239

All things, in the voting, were not considered. Ronnie played better than Caddy and was a more balanced weapon. This while sharing touches with RW.

AS an added note, had Ronnie touched the ball as many times as Caddy, assuming the average per touch had stayed the same, Ronnie would have had a combined 1488 yards. His TD total would have more than likely went up.
    Cadddy had a big advantage going into the season. HE WAS the media favorite from the get go. It couldn't have been more obvious. I don't really argue the fact that Caddy is deserving. What I find harder to comprehend is the overwhelming vote for Caddy over Ronnie, which to me proves he was everyone's favorite from the beginning. They were just waiting to hand it to him.
    I agree with this... Caddy wasn't as efficient as Ronnie. When you consider that Ronnie wasn't far behind Caddy and had only two-thirds the carries it does seem questionable how little votes he received. Caddy received alot more media play than Ronnie which leads to higher popularity... even if it's just a small amount. Caddy is deserving but Ronnie could have been much closer in the votes.

For those of you that say Caddy was more valuable to his team... since when is it called the "Most Valuable Rookie of the Year" award?
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    HI Honorary Member 3am crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Evansville, INDIANA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davster82
    Who holds the NFL record for Yards per Carry? One of you "Spock ear wearing geeks who probably never even kissed a girl" may know, but it is not a stat that you can really sink your teeth into. It's not the stat that people are shooting for. It is the stat that fans of the player who didn't get the rushing yardage title love to bring up so they can talk about "what if". It doesn't take the ROTY award to justify our draft pick. TB might have taken Ronnie if they had picked before us. It seems I remember Gruden having a "stiffy" talking about Ronnie and him having the best hands of anyone in the draft including wide receivers. Both backs filled the roles their teams asked them to. I think it is pointless to worry about needing the ROTY award to validate our pick.
    Randal Cunningham 6.36
    Jim Brown 5.22
    Mercury Morris 5.14

I will have to buy some spock ears I guess.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cadillac broke a 1000 yards with a playoff team. The voters do not look at receiving yards as much with a runningback and Cadillac had more 100 yard games. I think too many of us on this board wanted Ronnie to win to validate our player being drafted ahead of him. If Ronnie had not got hurt at end the story may have been differant but Cadillac had time to shine at a crucial time. The award is just an opinion and maybe the presence of Ricky hurt Ronnie in that Ricky put together a string of two very impressive games right before the voting. I think Caddy not sharing the load like Ronnie probably pulled more weight with the judges being that there is no dropoff with Ricky in the game. Does this definativly mean that Caddy is better , hell no just that people thought he was the best rookie this year. In baseball Tom browning won 20 games as a rookie and still lost to Vince Coleman in rookie of the year. Its all a matter of opinion much like the people that think the 29th rated Qb had a good year this year.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    another MD finfan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MD
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    We picked a good player in the first round. Let's not worry about whether people think he's the best. Let's only worry about what he does for us.
    Best post of the thread!
    Ricky and Ronnie. Best tandem in the league!
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAPEAPE
    Randal Cunningham 6.36
    Jim Brown 5.22
    Mercury Morris 5.14

I will have to buy some spock ears I guess.
    I actually though it might be a receiver and if you don't stipulate a minimum number of carries, I bet it is.
    Last edited by davster82; 01-05-2006 at 02:14 PM. Reason: extra finger
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz
    Cadillac broke a 1000 yards with a playoff team. The voters do not look at receiving yards as much with a runningback and Cadillac had more 100 yard games. I think too many of us on this board wanted Ronnie to win to validate our player being drafted ahead of him. If Ronnie had not got hurt at end the story may have been differant but Cadillac had time to shine at a crucial time. The award is just an opinion and maybe the presence of Ricky hurt Ronnie in that Ricky put together a string of two very impressive games right before the voting. I think Caddy not sharing the load like Ronnie probably pulled more weight with the judges being that there is no dropoff with Ricky in the game. Does this definativly mean that Caddy is better , hell no just that people thought he was the best rookie this year. In baseball Tom browning won 20 games as a rookie and still lost to Vince Coleman in rookie of the year. Its all a matter of opinion much like the people that think the 29th rated Qb had a good year this year.
    It was all about the RBBC...Ronnie will not shine..if Ricky stays. If Ronnie was given 20 carries a game...he would of easily surpassed Caddy's stats.....even a non-homer would predict that if he knows football.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    The Producer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phin
    Did Cadillac get the ROY just because his team made it to the playoffs or was he deserving?

Rushing

Rank---Player-------Team-- Yds--Att--Avg--TDs--Long

13---Cadillac Williams--TB--1178--290--4.1---6----71

20---Ronnie Brown----MIA--907---207--4.4---4----65

Receiving

Cadillac Williams-------TB----81---20--4.1----0----15

Ronnie Brown---------MIA---232---32--7.3---1----38
    wat if his name was jus carnel williams think about that
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    HI Honorary Member 3am crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Evansville, INDIANA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davster82
    I actually though it might be a receiver and if you don't stipulate a minimum number of carries, I bet it is.
    On the search it came up min. 500 carries.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    caddy deserved it... i love ronnie but williams started off the season better than any rookie, got hurt, and still managed to rush for almost 1200 yards. No doubt ronnie would have pulled it out if he wasnt spiltting carries with ricky and had an extra 80 carries like Caddy. But that didnt happen but we improved tremendously. Hopefully we can carry our last 6 games' momentum into next year.
    Quote Quote