Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Merged: Haloti Ngata

1. -1
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Disappointed in Haloti Ngata

I was REALLY psyched to get a look at Haloti Ngata tonight during the Oregon-Oklahoma game and I just have to say, I'm very disappointed.

Ngata is big. Very big. Not fat, but big. We get that. Supposedly he runs fast in the 40 but trust me when I said he by no means looked like it.

Here are the main points I did not like.

1. He's got NO pass rush. None. Whatsoever. Nada. Zero. Can't penetrate. Larry Chester incarnate.

2. He ties up two blockers but those two blockers can handle him and redirect him. And, toward the second half, he was getting blocked well in SINGLE blocks by Chris Chester.

3. When he gets turned around, he GIVES UP. Just doesn't even continue the play. There's no fight in him whatsoever. He is a LAZY player. He never pushes his position or hustles toward the ball.

4. He was without a doubt the slowest defensive lineman off the ball on the Oregon Ducks defensive line. You could watch each snap and you'd see all three other linemen punch forward quicker than Ngata. THEY got pass rush. THEY penetrated the lanes in run blocking. Ngata only did so when single blocked, and usually ended up falling for a trap block of some sort.

5. At 6'5" he has trouble getting underneath the pads of the offensive linemen that are blocking him...from the nose position. He played pretty much the same position all night that he'd play in Miami's D, and let me tell you in comparing him with Keith Traylor, there's NO comparison. You would think Ngata could look even more dominant there since he's just going against college players where Traylor goes against pros. Not so. When he played traditional nose, straight over the Center's grill, he got handled for the most part. When he played off-nose, like he would in our D, he did ok at times, usually took up a double on run blocking. When he took the 2-tech though, is when he penetrated more against a single guard but was usually susceptible to traps and geting turned around. In other words, in the Pros I think I would project him as a 2-tech guy, not a fit for our defense. Maybe a fit for our OLD defense. At his height if he's going to play nose he'd have to be able to penetrate like Manny Wright can. He can't. And, you can't play 3-tech if you're a crappy pass rusher.

Overall I have to say I walked into this game thinking one thing, and walked out thinking a completely different thing. Ngata seemed lazy, wasn't around the ball, wasn't penetrating or disrupting the pass or the run...only times he made plays were when Peterson came right at him. When I heard about his athleticism I had in mind this Warren Sapp type guy who could penetrate the pocket but he can't do that. He's no Warren Sapp by a long shot.

The most messed up part? Adrian Peterson started getting back on track in the second half while Ngata was in right. The OL started beating down the DL and they scored two TDs. Then Ngata gets injured and sits out the rest of the game...and I swear to god, his replacement was more high-energy (like the rest of the Oregon DL) and they actually started getting a better charge against the run WITHOUT Ngata in the game. They stopped Peterson when they had to and got it to where they basically could have won the game had they not been fielding a Leaf at quarterback (raise your hand if you didn't see that last minute game-losing interception coming from a Leaf in San Diego...I mean, come on).

Overall I'm very down on Haloti after this game. It isn't just a bad game. He was giving up on plays. No hustle. Lazy. I never want to see that even if you're not feeling April Fresh today.

Am I saying he's no longer a first round pick? No. You have to keep in mind the freak factor. He's a freak by the numbers. A freak by the numbers who gets lazy can always end up having a coach rip the mickey out of him and stomp that laziness out of him through good old fashioned butt whupping and conditioning. Or, he can end up being the same player. You don't know. Shawne Merriman disappeared on film a lot too. But right now, I'm not sure I take Ngata with the 15th pick. I might try and concentrate on people that could help us in other positions...like Michael Huff, Laron Landry, Chad Greenway, Demeco Ryans, maybe one of the OTs, of course Jay Cutler (or even Vince Young)...and quite possibly Claude Wroten.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    The Enforcer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Errrywhere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nice post... I think Oregon as a whole looked disinterested to be there.
    Have a nice day, make a new friend...[SIGPIC]
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We dont really need a DT imo anyway with are two young guys coming in next year. We for sure dont need any LAZY players. Imagine what he'll be like when he's gettin paid top dollar. Another problem thats what it'll be.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FuturePhin
    We dont really need a DT imo anyway with are two young guys coming in next year. We for sure dont need any LAZY players. Imagine what he'll be like when he's gettin paid top dollar. Another problem thats what it'll be.
    I'm sure Saban could motivate him not to be so lazy but the question is, for a top 15 guy, do you want to be having to do that? I know Greenway might not fall to us, but I'd rather draft a guy who has the mentality Saban adores.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pass Rusher

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Because of how he played in tonights game I think he has a real shot at falling to us. Although Ngata didn't impress me, I think that if he has any work ethic whatsoever he can become a very good player. He has one thing you can't teach.....SIZE! He's 6'5 350 lbs :eek: and has good speed for his size. I don't think he's an every down player (no need to put him in on 3rd and long) but with that said, I wouldn't mind if we draft him in round 1 because we still need some youth on the d-line.
    Nick Saban (2005-2006)
    "Talked like a warrior, acted like a weasel.'' (LeBatard)
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    "The Sticker Dunk"

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    CK... you think he was injured? I didnt see alot of the game, I was payin attention to the Heat-Pistons game...

I agree with you that he was unimpressive (the parts that I saw, I was switching to that game from the Heat game just to watch Ngata)... but from all I have heard about him, I cant believe that tonight was the norm.

I know I havent got to see this kid play alot, but the guy I saw tonight, and the guy that I have read about in many scouting reports seemed like 2 completely different people... I think he had to be hurt, or sick, or something...
    The Future of Miami

Where there's a will... There's a Wade...

Quote Originally Posted by Wade after Game 3
    You know what is weird? My most confident point in the game was when we were down 13 points. I said to myself 'I'm not going out like this.'

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pass Rusher

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    BTW, any Oregon fans out there that watch him play alot? What do you guys think of him? Was this just a bad game for him or does he usually play like that.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    O Town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    there have been reports about his work ethic before and its been whispers here and there about him being lazy...this is not the first time...if he doesnt step it up he is looking at the second or worse third round
    Follow me on Twitter.. @DSEmpire_BA

For My work http://dynastysportsempire.com/author/brent-antonio/
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    The one and only

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Beaver State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think you hit with the "freak factor" part of it. What George Young used to call The Planet Theory. He'll be selected before we pick, in MY opinion, based on his physical package and potential to be great. Another thing that has been getting so many scouts to focus on him has been the success of the last king sized DL out of Oregon, Igor Olshansky, who has started from the get go for the Chargers.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead
    I'm sure Saban could motivate him not to be so lazy but the question is, for a top 15 guy, do you want to be having to do that? I know Greenway might not fall to us, but I'd rather draft a guy who has the mentality Saban adores.

If he loved the game, nothing would have to motivate him. Saban works wonders with people, yes, but heart has got to be questioned UNLESS he was sick, hurt, etc. If he doesnt have the heart why draft him? He could just say heck with it like D. Underwood.
    Quote Quote