Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Judge puts the rights of a CHILD RAPIST before the rights of the CHILD

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks

Judge puts the rights of a CHILD RAPIST before the rights of the CHILD

There was outrage Wednesday when a Vermont judge handed out a 60-day jail sentence to a man who raped a little girl many,many times over a four-year span starting when she was seven.

The judge said he no longer believes in punishment and is more concerned about rehabilitation.

Prosecutors argued that confessed child-rapist Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston deserved at least eight years behind bars for repeatedly raping a littler girl countless times starting when she was seven.

But Judge Edward Cashman disagreed explaining that he no longer believes that punishment works.

The sex abuse started when the girl was seven and ended when she was ten. Prosecutors were seeking a sentence of eight to twenty years in prison, in part, as punishment.

"Punishment is a valid purpose," Chittenden Deputy Prosecutor Nicole Andreson argued to Judge Edward Cashman.

But Judge Cashman explained that he is more concerned that Hulett receive sex offender treatment as rehabilitation. But under Department of Corrections classification, Hulett is considered a low-risk for re-offense so he does not qualify for in-prison treatment.So the judge sentenced him to just 60 days in prison and then Hulett must complete sex treatment when he gets out or face a possible life sentence.

Judge Cashman also also revealed that he once handed down stiff sentences when he first got on the bench 25 years ago, but he no longer believes in punishment.

"I discovered it accomplishes nothing of value;it doesn't make anything better;it costs us a lot of money; we create a lot of expectation, and we feed on anger,"Cashman explained to the people in the court.

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4319605&nav=4QcT

Another case of a liberal judge legislating from the bench, not to mention that he has forgotten how to be a judge. Punishment is part a being a judge, if Cashman no longer believes in punishment then he should resign his position because his personal beliefs are obviously interfering with his ability to properly perform his job. It's outrageous that a man that repeatedly raped a 6 year old will only spend 60 days in jail when he destroyed this young girls like. It's ridiculous to put the rights of a child rapist, before the right of the child.

Martha Stewart did more time, and there were no children harmed.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Once again...tell me why some judges have lifetime appointments?
    - "What do we mean by the defeat of the enemy? Simply the destruction of his forces, whether by death, injury, or any other means -- either completely or enough to make him stop fighting. . . . ."-Carl von Clausewitz-
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinPhan1227
    Once again...tell me why some judges have lifetime appointments?
    A judge can be impeached, if this is not a case for impeachment then what is??
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Punishment is the foundation of any justice system. If this judge does not believe in punishment anymore, he should resign immediately. Is there any way to get him off the bench? Can't the governor do something?

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pasadena, MD
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You would think 8 to 20 years in prison would be enough time to try rehabbing the guy. That's a sad day for the judicial system.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    wiley veteran bad spelur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    indian river country
    Thanks / No Thanks
    now the Dad will go to jail for life for taking the law into his own hands.
    18-1 Choke of the Century

Click on VIP badge to Join
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cnc66
    now the Dad will go to jail for life for taking the law into his own hands.
    If that were to happen then the judge should be charged as a conspirator. The judge not doing his job properly put the girls father in a position to seek justice for his daughter.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    But Judge Cashman explained that he is more concerned that Hulett receive sex offender treatment as rehabilitation. But under Department of Corrections classification, Hulett is considered a low-risk for re-offense so he does not qualify for in-prison treatment.So the judge sentenced him to just 60 days in prison and then Hulett must complete sex treatment when he gets out or face a possible life sentence.

Judge Cashman also also revealed that he once handed down stiff sentences when he first got on the bench 25 years ago, but he no longer believes in punishment.

"I discovered it accomplishes nothing of value;it doesn't make anything better;it costs us a lot of money; we create a lot of expectation, and we feed on anger,"Cashman explained to the people in the court.
    More to the story, seems like the judge isnt satisfied w/ his job or what he is seeing so he's trying something new. I think it's a mistake to try this because if it blows up another kid is hurt but I guess in his mind he has a reason for doing what he did.

Another case of a liberal judge legislating from the bench
    Interesting, does it matter that he was appointed by a Conservative Governor? Or did Bill O'Reilly not tell you that part? I dont know if the mans a democrat or not, but I doubt a Rep governor would be appointing someone who is far left. And if they are appointed crazy liberal judges who are legislating from the bench take it up w/ your party.

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4351004

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    God why can't we all just get behind this as one voice that says - No way! This is wrong! - instead of making it into partisan politics reps vs dems. libs vs cons. I don't care who appointed this guy, I don't care who he votes for, I don't care what his voter registration says. This is just wrong.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan7
    God why can't we all just get behind this as one voice that says - No way! This is wrong! - instead of making it into partisan politics reps vs dems. libs vs cons. I don't care who appointed this guy, I don't care who he votes for, I don't care what his voter registration says. This is just wrong.

Because as soon as I saw the title, before i clicked on the thread or read the post I knew there would be a shot taken at Liberals. And why didnt you make this comment to the innitial post I wonder?

Side note. I had a judge that I was interviewing once tell me that the purpose of the criminal system is rehabillitation not punishment. This judge obviously agrees w/ that and is trying to "rehab" the guy, which couldnt have happened in jail. If the guy doesnt do his "rehab" he ends up getting a much stricter punishment actually than what the prosecution was looking for. However it would have been better for the guy to get the years in jail and do rehab while there imo
    Quote Quote