Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Feel Like I'm Not Improving

1. -1
    I don't want a large Farva

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks

I Feel Like I'm Not Improving

Have you guys ever felt like this? I feel like the last two months I haven't gotten any better with photoshop. I don't really know how to describe it it's just like when I'm makin something, I can't think of anything to do so I look at some other sigs I like and try to emulate that, but I always just end up not being able to do it and just making the same old thing.

Anyway that's enough ranting. I don't really know what I hope to get out of this thread, but please don't just tell me stuff like, 'You are getting better' or 'You are good.' I just kinda want to know what I can do to improve, and if any of you have felt like this.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Who Took My Floaties?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinfan2k5
    Have you guys ever felt like this? I feel like the last two months I haven't gotten any better with photoshop. I don't really know how to describe it it's just like when I'm makin something, I can't think of anything to do so I look at some other sigs I like and try to emulate that, but I always just end up not being able to do it and just making the same old thing.

Anyway that's enough ranting. I don't really know what I hope to get out of this thread, but please don't just tell me stuff like, 'You are getting better' or 'You are good.' I just kinda want to know what I can do to improve, and if any of you have felt like this.
    Well, seeing as I answered your comment to my thread with almost the same remarks. I think we may be in the same boat.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitPhinFan
    Well, seeing as I answered your comment to my thread with almost the same remarks. I think we may be in the same boat.
    Looks like it.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Olney, IL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am the same way, and sometimes what I make is worse because I cant think of anything so I just don't care what it looks like.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    d'Artiste

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sydney
    Thanks / No Thanks

your designs are fine... you're doing great!

the best thing I find is to design when you're in the "mood" it always produces the best results :dm:

but if you seriously want to expand your horizons try doing more work with brushes they make life very easy :wink:

The growing Miami Dolphins encyclopedia

Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've been using brushes but that isn't the sort of look that I like to create. Here. I'll show you a sig that I think is just amazing, these are what I want to make.

http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/4973/finals2dz.gif

Here's some other stuff I like:
    http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5224/brees0ad.png
    http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?i...hardson2ln.jpg

None of them have much brushing. It's just lighting and motion lines and blending that I love but I can't do.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    d'Artiste

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sydney
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've been using brushes but that isn't the sort of look that I like to create. Here. I'll show you a sig that I think is just amazing, these are what I want to make.

None of them have much brushing. It's just lighting and motion lines and blending that I love but I can't do.
    ok try working with lots of layers and experimenting with the blending options like "overlay", "screen" and "lighten" etc... fiddle with blurring layers in the background... you have to manually make the lines/squares etc in the backgrounds but there are tutorials for that...

goodluck :wink:
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    S.Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks

That Reggie Bush sig is sweet, nothin wrong with that!! Other then he may not be a Texan!!
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Thank you #54...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Burnaby, B.C., Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks

Not feeling like you are getting better is something everyone goes through. Practice and experimantation is the key.

I feel that way all the time...then I'll run into a tutorial somewhere that is really cool. Find some tutorials you like. When you do, mess with it. Do the tutorial how it is suggested but then change it, make it your own. I do this all the time. When you do this you'll discover the power of some of the tools Photoshop has in it.

Like DM said, mess with blending options, they do a lot more then you'd ever imagine. Blurs are a great tool as well. Mess with brushes. I was afraid of brushes for the longest time. I still don't use them a lot but nothing you do in photoshop is un-doable...just make sure you have a copy of the layer you are messing with.

Use multiple layers as much as possible.

When using text...and here is my hint of the day...work with MASSIVE text. perhaps 5 times larger then you intend to use. Add your lines, color and effects to the massive text. Merge it all together...make sure you can't adjust it anymore. THEN add it to your siggy/avvy/project of choice. When you shrink the merged text it will always remain sharp and the effects will have the intended effect. They won't blur.

As for "emulate what I see elsewhere", we've all done it from time to time. You see something you like and try to create something that looks like it. In the end though you have a style. Stick to it. Go with your strengths while you expand them. Copying other items won't do anything to improve what you are good at already. Use your style and merge the image you saw that caught your fancy into one image. Use the IDEA but make it your own.

Wow...what a rant.

...now...back to killing myself over this Finals project.

Quote Quote  

10. -10

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thanks guys. I think I made some strides for once in the photoshop comp assingment sig.
    Quote Quote