Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Democrats Sell Out Latinos

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

The Democrats Sell Out Latinos

Who killed immigration reform? The autopsy shows it was Senate Democrats.

It's tempting to put a pox on both parties. But it wouldn't be fair. Republicans were tireless in search of comprehensive, and bipartisan, reform. Sen. John McCain of Arizona joined with Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., to draft the guest-worker legislation, and Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter made that legislation central to what his committee sent to the full Senate. Sens. Lindsay Graham of South Carolina and Sam Brownback of Kansas were vocal in their support.

Sens. Mel Martinez of Florida and Chuck Hagel of Nebraska offered a helpful compromise. And Republican Majority Leader Bill Frist showed leadership by reaching out to the other side.
    Too bad you can't say the same for Democratic Leader Harry Reid, who was the villain in this drama.

Hector Flores, president of the League of United Latin-American Citizens, told me that he tried to impress upon Reid's office that it was important to get immigration reform done.

``Apparently, it fell on deaf ears," Flores said.

Reid claims it was GOP hard-liners who killed reform by running roughshod over Frist.

Baloney. The hard-liners had -- by all accounts -- no more than 30 votes, including those of conservative Democrats. On the other side, you had -- according to McCain -- as many as 70 votes.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...t_latinos.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Mad Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not all Democrats..

As the article points out, Harry Reid led the charge in killing immigration reform.

Just like he led the charge in killing Social Security reform.

Just like he tried to kill the Patriot Act.

Ted Kennedy actually stood by the immigration reform proposal and I give him full credit for that.
    Free Tibet

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    The Big Zonk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nonsense. Republicans in Congress are unable to handle the task of getting anything done, and when the base of the Republican Party gets upset about it they try to blame it on Harry Reid just like they blamed their inaction on Tom Daschle before Reid. Do they really expect their base to believe that the Senate Minority Leader is preventing the MAJORITY PARTY from getting anything done? It's a joke.

How long have the Republicans controlled all of Washington? What do they have to show for it? The conservative movement has practically been hijacked by con artists.

You know the old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"? True conservatives would be wise to keep that saying in mind this fall. Or they can vote back in the do-nothing Congress YET AGAIN...
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zachseau13
    Not all Democrats..

As the article points out, Harry Reid led the charge in killing immigration reform.

Just like he led the charge in killing Social Security reform.

Just like he tried to kill the Patriot Act.

Ted Kennedy actually stood by the immigration reform proposal and I give him full credit for that.
    How, assuming all the Pubs stick together can Reid killed all this reform? They control the house and the senate, Im shocked to hear that Reid is the most powerful man in Washington, he must be to kill reform bills all by himself in the minority party. This makes no sense whatsoever.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfansince72
    How, assuming all the Pubs stick together can Reid killed all this reform? They control the house and the senate, Im shocked to hear that Reid is the most powerful man in Washington, he must be to kill reform bills all by himself in the minority party. This makes no sense whatsoever.
    He is the minority leader, he has power. This cannot be news to you.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    You sit on a throne of lies!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall
    He's the *Senate* Minority Leader. That's the important part as long as one party doesn't have 60. He can stop anything he wants to stop at will.

I've got so many lawyers lined up to see me, you'd think I had tobacco leaking out of my breast implants.
    - Jimmy James
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall
    Its news to me how he can have more power than the majority. If the Pubs want a bill passed it will pass. They can point fingers at whoever they want, they have the majority. Last time I checked a majority wins a vote unless this has changed the Pubs can pass just about anything they want. Keep excusing your party for ignoring their promises and doing nothing, keep believing the nonsense they put out about how the Dems stop this or that. The Pubs killed Social Security reform, they were afraid to lose the senior vote, the Pubs killed the immigration reform they saw millions of latinos marching and feared losing the biggest minority group in the upcoming elections.
    Oh thats right, its the lib media that killed it how silly of me.:rolleyes2
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    just a little cattywampus

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    either way, it is almost a no lose situation for Democrats...

why? because they are seen as the party who will offer the most in social spending to the soon to be voting illegal aliens, and therefore stand to benefit when whatever program they shove down our throats is signed by an all too willing President W.

please note: i do not dispute that the Republicans are doing there best to take over that "honor," with their out of control spending, but the probem is that the same Repubs who vote for amnesty (cough, i mean immigration reform ) will have to go back to their districts and win back the 80% who put them in office and are overwhelmingly against this whole fiasco. because if they dont, they wont be re-elected.

so, there campaign rhetoric will go back to "tough on immigration" double speak, thus ensuring the voters they are currently pandering to will turn their backs on them...
    (William H. Bonney, aka Billy the Kid): If a man has 3 or 4 pals, well, then he's got himself a tribe. And there ain't nothing stronger than that.

Rest In Peace Scott Knight, 1968-2007... Pals.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfansince72
    Its news to me how he can have more power than the majority. If the Pubs want a bill passed it will pass. They can point fingers at whoever they want, they have the majority. Last time I checked a majority wins a vote unless this has changed the Pubs can pass just about anything they want. Keep excusing your party for ignoring their promises and doing nothing, keep believing the nonsense they put out about how the Dems stop this or that. The Pubs killed Social Security reform, they were afraid to lose the senior vote, the Pubs killed the immigration reform they saw millions of latinos marching and feared losing the biggest minority group in the upcoming elections.
    Oh thats right, its the lib media that killed it how silly of me.:rolleyes2
    Who said anything about more?
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    you are the nail

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    on shadowfax
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonPhan
    either way, it is almost a no lose situation for Democrats...

why? because they are seen as the party who will offer the most in social spending to the soon to be voting illegal aliens, and therefore stand to benefit when whatever program they shove down our throats is signed by an all too willing President W.

please note: i do not dispute that the Republicans are doing there best to take over that "honor," with their out of control spending, but the probem is that the same Repubs who vote for amnesty (cough, i mean immigration reform ) will have to go back to their districts and win back the 80% who put them in office and are overwhelmingly against this whole fiasco. because if they dont, they wont be re-elected.

so, there campaign rhetoric will go back to "tough on immigration" double speak, thus ensuring the voters they are currently pandering to will turn their backs on them...
    ok. now i want to vomit after reading this post. i hate our politicians. dont they understand? why dont they think for a minute about the cost on the middle class for this junk?!?!?!?!?!
    special thanks to in flames for the avatar and sig

Quote Quote