Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does a 2nd Term President care about Approval Ratings?

1. -1
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Why does a 2nd Term President care about Approval Ratings?

Why is the media acting like politics is some sports event? Why should the President even care if his approval rating is 36%.. Its not like he can run for re-election.. If they dont like him so much now, they shouldnt have voted for him in 04.. Its not like he is changed that much from then to now..

And I dont really buy that the President's performance will greatly effect the elections in 08... The GOP candidates can just as easily neutralize the effect by distancing themselves from the Prez.
    FIRE FAILBIN

Joe Philbin, PowerPoint Guru (Not Head Coach Material)
    Philbin ... put it all together in a PowerPoint presentation. Everything about that presentation had to be perfect.

If any PowerPoint slide had a spelling or grammar mistake, any typo, any scheme error, that was my responsibility, just like a teacher, Philbin said.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Mad Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree, I don't really think that the President cares about the approval ratings very much.

It can make it harder to get things done in Congress however.
    Free Tibet

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He doesn't. Bush has said many times that history will judge his performance, and he really doesn't spend much time at all caring about it. He is going to do what he thinks is right.

The media obsess on the poll numbers because they have totally bought into the idea that every President is obsessed about his "legacy" ala Bill Clinton. They can't understand a guy who just does what he thinks is right regardless of whether it's popular, risky, etc.

You'll see some examples of this in the responses you will get, I'm sure.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ....or maybe he is just that bad of a president and is terrible at running the country.
    The shakeups in his admin recently would suggest that he does indeed care about the polls. Could just be coincidence, admins make changes, but does seem awfully convienant timing.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Mad Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yea, 5% GDP Growth, 4.7% Unemployment, record home ownership, record minority home ownership, record median wages, low inflation, low interest rates....

Yea, these are really dark days for the U.S.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zachseau13
    Yea, 5% GDP Growth, 4.7% Unemployment, record home ownership, record minority home ownership, record median wages, low inflation, low interest rates....

Facts and reality, who needs that to spoil the lie?!
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    EXACTLY!!! What does Bush care if his ratings are at 30%....it is not like he can run for a 3rd term, or he will be removed for low ratings. The media just loves to overhype the ratings numbers...I am sure Bush could care less.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah, they don't care. That's why you've got a new press secretary, altered role for Karl Rove, several other recent shakeups and more promised in the near future.

Ken Mehlman said two days ago that the approval numbers had bottomed out. Then yesterday you get a 32% figure from CNN. If they don't care, why even guess where the basement is? Just enjoy the plunge.

As far as how great things are going, check out the right path/wrong path polls on how the country is doing. It's something like 2/1 wrong track, a modern record. Record oil prices and staggering health care costs, and so on. So keep the blinkers on. They're obviously working marvelously. The trainers on the first Saturday in May who use them at Churchill Downs can only hope for similar results.

I will say this: Bush's approval numbers would be somewhat higher if he were up for election this year. Republicans would be much less willing to say they disapprove if Bush were up against a Democrat on the ballot, since the competitive and partisan aspect would kick in. I continue to believe the approval numbers won't impact the November vote as significantly as the media believes. The GOP has great strength in GOTV and the Republicans will show up in great numbers with both chambers at stake.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    you are the nail

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    on shadowfax
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zachseau13

iraq war, outsourcing/globalization, oil prices, immigration....
    special thanks to in flames for the avatar and sig

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    wiley veteran bad spelur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    indian river country
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So keep the blinkers on.

blinders?

health care is a serious issue with me, I have incurred horrible medical expenses these last two years..gettin' old costs money. The boating and travel industries are about to get slammed by gas prices..and they look to get worse. No, I'm sorry, things aren't as rosy as some would have you believe.
    Quote Quote