Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bush's Choice To Run The CIA: "The Wrong Person, the Wrong Place, At the Wrong Time"

1. -1
    The Big Zonk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Bush's Choice To Run The CIA: "The Wrong Person, the Wrong Place, At the Wrong Time"

WASHINGTON - Even before President Bush has named his choice to take over the CIA, the Air Force general who is the front-runner drew fire Sunday from lawmakers in the president’s own party who say a military man should not lead the civilian spy agency.

The criticism of the expected choice of Gen. Michael Hayden to head the CIA came from some influential Republicans in Congress as well as from Democrats.

“I do believe he’s the wrong person, the wrong place, at the wrong time,” said House Intelligence Committee Chairman Peter Hoekstra, R-Mich. “We should not have a military person leading a civilian agency at this time.”

Hoekstra said on “Fox News Sunday” that having a general in charge of the CIA could create the impression among agents around the world that the agency is under Pentagon control. If he were to get the nomination, military officers would run all the major spy agencies, from the ultra-secret National Security Agency to the Defense Intelligence Agency.

Hoekstra said “there’s ongoing tensions between this premiere civilian intelligence agency and the Department of Defense as we speak.”

The sentiment was echoed by Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, who said Hayden’s military background would be a “major problem."

Talk of Hayden’s possible nomination has reignited the debate over the Bush’s administration’s domestic surveillance program, which Hayden used to oversee as the former head of the National Security Agency.

Senate Judiciary Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., said he would use a Hayden nomination to raise questions about the legality of the program and did not rule out holding it up until he gets answers. “I’m not going to draw any lines in the sand until I see how the facts evolve,” Specter said on Fox.

White House insiders tried to shrug off suggestions that Hayden’s military experience could become a serious issue. And they said they welcome a fight over the domestic eavesdropping program — an issue that Bush certainly has not shied away from taking on in his effort to take a tough stance against terrorists.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12388117/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    The POFO bully.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cybertron
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hoekstra said on “Fox News Sunday” that having a general in charge of the CIA could create the impression among agents around the world that the agency is under Pentagon control. If he were to get the nomination, military officers would run all the major spy agencies, from the ultra-secret National Security Agency to the Defense Intelligence Agency.

This the part that concerns me the most for some reason.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I find it humorous that people feel coming from the military should disqualify you from running the CIA. Perhaps if he came from Burger King he would be better qualified
    Better than Chris Long and Vernon Gholston
    PHILLIP MERLING
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    The POFO bully.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cybertron
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adamprez2003
    I find it humorous that people feel coming from the military should disqualify you from running the CIA. Perhaps if he came from Burger King he would be better qualified
    No I think it's the fact that the CIA is seperate from the Pentagon, and that keeps checks and balances on either organization.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron
    No I think it's the fact that the CIA is seperate from the Pentagon, and that keeps checks and balances on either organization.
    It's a fair concern but I would think the military gives you the best training to run this type of organization. I would rather have him from the military than the business or political world. Besides prior to 9/11, the big problem was no communication between agencies. Perhaps its better to have evryone from the military running organziations that are meant to protect us from foreign threats. I would assume it would help in the communication and cooperation departments
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Burger King gets a bad rap. Especially here. Burger King is a Miami company. I like Burger King and I love Whoppers. In fact, I'm going to fetch a few right now.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger
    Burger King gets a bad rap. Especially here. Burger King is a Miami company. I like Burger King and I love Whoppers. In fact, I'm going to fetch a few right now.
    Burger King is the best although they used to make much better onion rings. Damn those accountants
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    The POFO bully.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cybertron
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's a fair concern but I would think the military gives you the best training to run this type of organization. I would rather have him from the military than the business or political world. Besides prior to 9/11, the big problem was no communication between agencies. Perhaps its better to have evryone from the military running organziations that are meant to protect us from foreign threats. I would assume it would help in the communication and cooperation departments
    Hey aren't Rummy and Dick from the private sector?
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron
    Hey aren't Rummy and Dick from the private sector?
    Yup but they're in the White House. By the way I hate Rumsfeld but I kinda like Cheney.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    The POFO bully.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cybertron
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yup but they're in the White House. By the way I hate Rumsfeld but I kinda like Cheney.
    That's what I mean how can a civilian run the Pentagon, it's ludicrous.:wink:
    Quote Quote