Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Now even I am frightened...

1. -1
    Cunning Linguist

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Honolulu, HI
    Thanks / No Thanks

Now even I am frightened...

All of those terror warnings over the past year and a half have been total BS, including the orange alert a few weeks ago. But now...as we're ready to invade Iraq, I'm suddenly taking the orange alert we have now seriously. I fear lots of innocent Iraqis will die, which is perfect cannon fodder for retaliatory strikes against us by terrorist groups.

Suddenly, the threat to us all is seriously real. As much as I fear for my own life, I also fear what is going to happen if we happen to go to Red Alert. http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0020312-5.html It's likely we'll lock down into complete martial law/police state mode, which can't be good for ANY of us, especially if they don't let go of their increased power after any attack/threat as abated. Really, I feel like the terrorists are the ones winning the war right now, and our strategy is sending us toward the path of destruction.

If we had let inspections continue and kept up diplomatic pressure, we could have only guessed if another attack would have came. Now that we're going to war, a terrorist attack is certain. I'm pissed as hell, but there's absolutely nothing I can do now but continue to exercise my free speech and prepare for the worst. In exercising that speech, I found a couple links for your reading (dis)pleasure.

http://www.walden3.org/lies-usa2-sm.jpg
    http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0316-08.htm

Seeing as I live a mere 3 miles from the Sears Tower while at school, and routinely use the L, I'm scared out of my mind now. Right now I'm in the suburbs on spring break, but before I go back I'm going to urge my mom to stock up on some extra food, and to make sure all the vehicles are gassed up. If there is an attack while I'm in the city, I don't think I stand a chance, but I definitely want her and my brother to be safe.

Anyway, I urge all of you guys to take this orange alert SERIOUSLY and be ready for anything, especially those of us in major cities.
    Last edited by Kamikaze; 03-19-2003 at 05:52 AM.
    You mustn't think dirty thoughts!
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vacaville, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, personally I work at the primary power plant that supplies electricity to San Francisco, and a "Primary" target for terrorist activity.

Quite frankly, I refuse to let any alert of any color affect me. What will happen will happen, what we are doing over there is the right thing to do. That to me is the bottom line.

You wan't to know how to win the war on terror?

You don't let the terror affect you, thats how.
    My Nomination for dumbest statement of the year.
    Said regarding the 10 commandments statue.

"This isn't about religeon! This is about acknowleging the allmighty god!"
    ~Some moron on talk radio out here.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Cunning Linguist

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Honolulu, HI
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by Barbarian
    Well, personally I work at the primary power plant that supplies electricity to San Francisco, and a "Primary" target for terrorist activity.

Quite frankly, I refuse to let any alert of any color affect me. What will happen will happen, what we are doing over there is the right thing to do. That to me is the bottom line.

You wan't to know how to win the war on terror?

You don't let the terror affect you, thats how.
    And that means we shouldn't hope for the best and prepare for the worst? Of course I'm gonna keep going to school but I'm sure as hell gonna make sure I don't forget that we could be hit anytime, anywhere, and that when it happens, I'm gonna do my best to stay alive and save as many people as I can.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vacaville, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by chicagodolphan
    And that means we shouldn't hope for the best and prepare for the worst? Of course I'm gonna keep going to school but I'm sure as hell gonna make sure I don't forget that we could be hit anytime, anywhere, and that when it happens, I'm gonna do my best to stay alive and save as many people as I can.
    If it happens, then I'll worry about it, untill then, I'll let those that are paid to protect us do their job and trust in them. I have a mortgage to worry about, worrying about a terrorist attack isn't going to do me any good and worrying about it is what they want us to do, I refuse to give them the satisfaction.

*edited to highlight the word "If"*
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Your in sad shape chicagodolphin...

You are just the kind of person the terrorist are hoping all of us become. I'm not trying to insult you, but how do you manage to walk without a backbone?

Steve
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Now completely imaginary

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Elsewhere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I live right near Central Command here in South Tampa. There are board members here who work at MacDill. And we are not afraid. Sure, I'm leery of a terrorist attack. The war heightens tensions. But they're going to try and attack us anyway, war or not.

The point is, you can't go around being afraid. You have to stand up for what you believe in. This nation is founded on liberty and democracy. The privelige of doing pretty much whatever we want (within law of course). And this country will not be held hostage. We are righteous and will not let evil men dictate our daily lives. This is why the terrorists hate us. Because we have free will and do not fear many things. They feel it is THEIR responsibility to play God and make us afraid.

If we do suffer an unfortunate attack, you can bet that this country will unite in the same way we did on 9/11. That is what the terrorists didn't count on. They cannot and will not bring this country down.

The threat is real. But so is our resolve.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Terror is for those who become terrified.I work at a chemical plant, and I'm not the least bit worried.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    On an island
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not worried either, and I live in Manhattan, which is the same island that the Twin Towers were on. Luckily, I am on Spring Break for 2 weeks, but after that I take the Bus or Subway to school, and those are two targets for terrorist attacks. However, I really don't think an attack will happen, and I live my house so early every morning anyway that the buses at that time are empty. The only time I worry about terrorism is on a bridge or tunnel, because I think they are going to target those for some weird reason.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    First and foremost, the alerts are NOT for you and I. They're for law enforcement officials, and they are used to advise them to take certain pre defined actions/precautions. None of which invlove a suspension of habeus corpus or any other civil liberties allowed in the Constitution. You'd need a Constitutional Ammendment for that, I'm pretty sure CNN would have reported if there was one. As for terrorist attacks being "certain" now that we're going to take out Iraq, I'd like to ask you what the difference is between Iraqi muslims and Afghani muslims? Or Iraqi muslims and Somali muslims, or Iraqi muslims circa 2003, and Iraqi muslims circa 1991? In fact, the probablity is that much FEWER numbers of innocent Muslim civilians will die in this war than died in those conflicts I mentioned. The US has commited to using 80-90% precission guided munitions in this conflict as compared to '91 when only 10% of munitions used were guided. Lastly, I'll ask the question that has been asked 300 times, and never answered...Considering that we were attacked by Al Queda with NO provocation, or killing of Muslims by American troops, why in the WOLRD would you feel safer by us NOT attacking? We're not making the world measurably safer from terrorism JUST by removing Saddam, but we certainly aren't making it any worse. What people like you fail to acknowledge is that we've BEEN in a state of war with Iraq since 1991. We've been putting our pilots and troops in harms way ON IRAQI SOIL since they invaded Kuwait. This is not a new war, this is a final resolution to a conflict that has lasted over a decade. You want peace? Great, FINISH THE DAMN WAR!
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Getting geeked for 2003!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've edited my post a few times now, I just dont feel like being mean. Must remember he's a fellow American but I at least got to say this:

Why am I not surprised at your fear?
    ''I think any special accomplishment is always preceded by some adversity,'' Wannstedt said. ``If you funnel that adversity in a positive way, it can make the difference.
    Quote Quote