Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else concerned about our borders?

1. -11
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by t2thejz
    Troops do not belong at the border it is not their job
    Actually, the Consitution prohibits Federal troops to be used in that fashion.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
    Yea, i'm not to crazy on the wall idea either. It's an act of desperation, but these are desparate times. That's why I asked. Good points, I agree.

Good explanation as to why they hate us as well. I can buy into it, but I know our foreign policy has a lot to do with it too. I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with it but it factors. It's definately not a simple matter.

Now, I am in no way a doomsday type of guy but in the back of my mind I could see the Arab nations rising up and coming together to circle us in Iraq and start WWIII. I dont know where that came from, maybe because I was thinking about how our policy ticked them off in the first place. I'm not saying we should give in by any means.

Hell, I dont know what I'm saying now, ha. I just know this is getting to be a bigger situation than a lot of people including myself may have realized.
    FULLY agree that it's not a simple situation, and if I ever gave that impression, my apologies. And I also agree that there's a chance of further polarising the muslim nations against us. But the flip side of that is the fact that they were already aligning further and further away from us every year, so SOMETHING had to be done. I don't know if this will work, and it may certainly make things worse in the short term. But as Comrade Sniper would probably agree(at least from an ideological standpoint), the only way to TRULY change a peoples mindset is through education and example. Right now, they have NO examples of a true Arab democracy to work with(Turkey may be muslim, but they don't see each other as the same people). Maybe this will turn out to be a horrible mistake, but I still haven't heard what the alternative idea was? So far, it looked to me like our solution before this was to sit on our hands and "hope for the best"....
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Getting geeked for 2003!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
    FULLY agree that it's not a simple situation, and if I ever gave that impression, my apologies. And I also agree that there's a chance of further polarising the muslim nations against us. But the flip side of that is the fact that they were already aligning further and further away from us every year, so SOMETHING had to be done. I don't know if this will work, and it may certainly make things worse in the short term. But as Comrade Sniper would probably agree(at least from an ideological standpoint), the only way to TRULY change a peoples mindset is through education and example. Right now, they have NO examples of a true Arab democracy to work with(Turkey may be muslim, but they don't see each other as the same people). Maybe this will turn out to be a horrible mistake, but I still haven't heard what the alternative idea was? So far, it looked to me like our solution before this was to sit on our hands and "hope for the best"....

Did you not see the Dateline special on Quatar? Now there is an example of democracy, positive change,and Western influence. But yes, I agree whole-heartedly that the best way is via education and example. I just think we are setting ourselves up for dissappointment if we think Iraq is really going to comply and change.

Either way, it doesn't change that I AGREE with this war. I dont want that to be lost in the shuffle.
    ''I think any special accomplishment is always preceded by some adversity,'' Wannstedt said. ``If you funnel that adversity in a positive way, it can make the difference.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
    Did you not see the Dateline special on Quatar? Now there is an example of democracy, positive change,and Western influence. But yes, I agree whole-heartedly that the best way is via education and example. I just think we are setting ourselves up for dissappointment if we think Iraq is really going to comply and change.

Either way, it doesn't change that I AGREE with this war. I dont want that to be lost in the shuffle.

Qatar is great, but it's hardly an infuential nation in the Arab world, and as such is more ignored than seen as an example. What would make Iraq different is that it has the potential to become a real world power. Let the Arabs MAKE something to be proud of, and perhaps they'll have less reason to hate US.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
    Qatar is great, but it's hardly an infuential nation in the Arab world, and as such is more ignored than seen as an example. What would make Iraq different is that it has the potential to become a real world power. Let the Arabs MAKE something to be proud of, and perhaps they'll have less reason to hate US.
    Why is Qatar pronounced cutter? Damn that makes no sense to me!

Oliver...
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks

Closing our Borders

According to an article I read a few weeks ago in the Palm Beach Post, a poll was taken and the majority of those polled actually want our borders closed and for many of the reasons given by LC.

I agree, it's time to change the message at the base of the Staue of Liberty to 'NO VACANCY'.

It's no longer a 'melting pot' when the immigrants refuse to melt.

JS
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Adam the Quarterback

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm in favor for protecting our borders as best as humanly possible. I think the biggest reason why most politicans refuse to stop the problems on the border(McCain a rare exception), is because they want the minority vote. Hispanics/Latinos are the #1 minority in the country and if one political faciton/party were to support sending troops on the border, then that party would lose a lot of support. Sadly, some people play the politics game in the case of national security.:nono:

P.S. Isn't ironic that Mexico doesn't want us to protect our country/border but they send their military on their borders w/ other countries?
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Getting geeked for 2003!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by booyeah_
    I'm in favor for protecting our borders as best as humanly possible. I think the biggest reason why most politicans refuse to stop the problems on the border(McCain a rare exception), is because they want the minority vote. Hispanics/Latinos are the #1 minority in the country and if one political faciton/party were to support sending troops on the border, then that party would lose a lot of support. Sadly, some people play the politics game in the case of national security.:nono:

P.S. Isn't ironic that Mexico doesn't want us to protect our country/border but they send their military on their borders w/ other countries?

Blammo! That is the sound of the nail being hit on the head. I really didnt' want to go there beause I didn't think I would word it properly. You did, and you are correct sir!
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks

Very well put

I know it's not a popular subject here in SoFl and I hate to go there myself but even without the new security risks we face the fact is that our resources will not hold up forever and IMO we are at a point of saturation.

I've always enjoyed reading about history, it's been a hobby/interest of mine for many years. Something tells me our fore-fathers never envisioned having to 'press 1 for english'

JS
    Quote Quote  

10. -20

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think I can safely call myself truly moderate on this issue. I STRONGLY feel that English is THE language of this country, and that all persons who want to live here should have to learn it. By the same token, this country has ALWAYS had open borders, and has ALWAYS had problems because of it. Just go back to the major influxes of Irish, and Italian immigrants, and you can see that there were public outcries against them. Likewise the influxes of Asian immigrants. It's something we've always dealt with, but it's always made us a stronger country in the long run. I do agree that changes need to be made, but I think those changes need to take us back to the policies we had 30-40 years ago(NOT the eugenics part), when assimilation was stressed.
    Quote Quote