Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Yep...Halliburton shouldn't rebuild Iraq...

1. -1
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks

Yep...Halliburton shouldn't rebuild Iraq...

...we should leave it to the French!!!

France Seeks Big Role in Post-War Iraq
    Tue Mar 25, 4:11 PM ET

By KIM HOUSEGO, Associated Press Writer

PARIS - Worried it could be shut out of business deals in postwar Iraq (news - web sites), France is drawing up plans to win French companies access to lucrative oil and reconstruction contracts, officials said Tuesday.

The government is determined that French companies will be part of rebuilding Iraq, despite President Jacques Chirac's vigorous opposition to the war, a Finance Ministry official said.

Gilles Munier, an executive board member of the French-Iraq Association for Economic Cooperation, said business leaders and government representatives were studying how to gain a foothold in postwar Iraq.

He said a meeting between France's most powerful business federation, government leaders and the French-Iraq Association for Economic Cooperation was scheduled for April 3.

The Finance Ministry official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed discussions were underway with business leaders about Iraq.

Some French are concerned that a U.S.-led administration in Iraq will favor companies from the United States and other pro-war countries while penalizing companies from France and other war opponents.

The Bush administration awarded a $4.8 million contract Monday to a Seattle-based company to rebuild Iraq's only deep-water port. Washington is expected to announce similar deals soon.

Officials in Paris say French firms' experience in working in Iraq would be an advantage.

French companies — many with ties to Baghdad stretching back decades — have established themselves as the largest suppliers of goods to Iraq since a U.N. trade embargo was partially lifted in 1996.

In 2001, France exported $705 million worth of goods to Iraq within the framework of the United Nations (news - web sites)' now-frozen oil-for-food program. Communications equipment maker Alcatel clinched a $75 million contract to upgrade Baghdad's phone network, and Renault sold $75 million worth of tractors and farming vehicles to Iraq.

French oil giant TotalFinaElf probably has the biggest stake. It spent six years in the 1990s doing preparatory work on two giant oil fields and has signed two tentative agreements with Saddam to develop them.

Munier said he believes American companies will have difficulties in Iraq because of widespread anger against the U.S.-led bombing campaign.

"I don't see how American executives can work when their lives will be at risk," he said. "There will be such hatred toward Americans."

Munier criticized French companies for negotiating with American companies for a piece of their businesses in Iraq, saying that such "collaboration" would damage the image of French business among Iraqis.

Differences over how to run Iraq after the war have put added strain on already tense relations between the United States and several European countries.

France opposes any U.S. reconstruction plan that would sideline United Nations development agencies, multilateral organizations and non-governmental aid groups.

Chirac has warned that France would vote against any U.N. Security Council resolution that would give "the American and British belligerents the right to administer Iraq."
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    On an island
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We all know France or French companies will have absolutely no role in the rebuilding of Iraq, they shouldn't be allowed to profit after protesting and being against the war.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a land far, far away
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How typical.... they just want to get in there after the shooting stops, so they can retrive all the weapons that say "made in Paris" the Iraqis are using.....

That way...perhaps they can resell them to N Korea, or the Palestinians.....
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Am I on speaker phone?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Of course France was against the War... They sold all their weapons to Iraq and had nothing left to fight with.... Not that they would fight anyway if they did have weapons...

...And I don't understand why Iraq would want to buy weapons from France in the first place. I mean here is a country who's last claim to Military fame is when General Lafayette came over and helped bail us out of the Revolution... I know in tough times you take what you can get..., but France? What the hell do they know about weapons?...uhh... Ok.... let me re-phrase that... What does France know about making or using weapons...? I mean if the Iraqis planned on attacking us with rockets of rudeness and a barrage of female body hair I would understand... But let's face it, buying weapons from France is like getting sexual advice from Mother Teresa...

Oh, and if France is so AGAINST WAR and violence, then what the f#@k are they selling weapons to a brutal dictator for?

I hope all the hipocrisy on France's behalf backfires and gets aired for the world to see... And hopefuly the French people run that pompas ass Chirac (who is using the UN to execute his own country's agenda) out of office while telling him not to let the baguette hit him in the croissant on the way out...
    Last edited by Penthos; 03-26-2003 at 02:33 PM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    On an island
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by WharfRat
    How typical.... they just want to get in there after the shooting stops, so they can retrive all the weapons that say "made in Paris" the Iraqis are using.....

That way...perhaps they can resell them to N Korea, or the Palestinians.....
    The USA gives the Palestinians weapons too.....
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Am I on speaker phone?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by iceblizzard69
    The USA gives the Palestinians weapons too.....
    Good and true point Ice, the US has sold arms, and lots of em to plenty of countries.... But at least were not selling weapons on one hand and then claiming to be "above" war on the other...

On a side note, the US gives/sells weapons to both Palestine and Isreal, which they will only use on one another, or us... I think this is pretty Ironic considering we so dearly "want peace" between these 2 "Nations".
    Quote Quote