Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Commentary: Pats are still the beasts of the East

  1. -1
    lazareth's Avatar
    get your chief on...

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    6,300
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Northeastern NC
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Commentary: Pats are still the beasts of the East

    http://www.patriots.com/news/index.c...=19404&pcid=41

    If you listen to some in the media, there are rumblings the Patriots stranglehold on the AFC East may come to an end this season. Some have even suggested that the Miami Dolphins are the team to beat in the division. While there’s no doubt the Dolphins are headed in the right direction under Nick Saban, I’m going to steal a phrase from ESPN college football analyst Lee Corso and say, “Not so fast my friend.”
    Now we get to the team most people think will challenge the Patriots for AFC East supremacy: the Miami Dolphins. First let me say that I think Saban is an excellent coach. He took over the wasteland left by Dave Wannstedt and won nine games during his first season after beginning the year 3-7. A lot of New England fans like to point to the Dolphins weak schedule late in the year but the same thing can be said about the Patriots. The bottom line is the Dolphins were a much-improved team as the season went on last year and Saban deserves a lot of credit for the effort Miami showed on the field every week.
    Having said that, I still think the Dolphins are a year away from really pushing the Patriots in the AFC East. Sure, they went out and signed Daunte Culpepper and while that looks good on paper, I see two major problems with the signing.
    First – and I don’t care what anyone says – Culpepper isn’t going to play during the first month of the season. That means the Dolphins will have to face their difficult early season schedule with Joey Harrington behind center. Have fun with that.
    The other thing that bothers me about the Culpepper signing is I believe the team really wanted Drew Brees instead and ended up settling for Culpepper. There’s no question the former Vikings quarterback is talented but it’s hard to just discard his less than impressive career numbers when he’s not playing with Randy Moss. Culpepper is a definite upgrade over Gus Frerotte and he makes the Dolphins offense more dangerous but unfortunately for Miami fans, I don’t think they’ll get to see the full extent of his impact until 2007.
    Saban is doing a good job of rebuilding the Dolphins but much like Bill Parcells in Dallas, I think his first season was a bit of a fluke just because he was able to outcoach some people. Look for Miami to possibly take a step back this year before they really challenge New England next season. Make no mistake about it, the Dolphins are going to be a thorn in the Patriots side, it just won’t be this year.





    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    woolhoss's Avatar
    Beer League Softball Allstar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    139
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    WVU
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There is a huge problem with this article and it is summed up in two words. LEE CORSO. It might as well be an MLS column written by John Kruk
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    fishfan34's Avatar
    2008 AFC EASTERN DIVISION CHAMPIONS!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2004
    Posts:
    4,090
    vCash:
    1147
    Loc:
    I'm back in Florida BABY!
    Thanks / No Thanks
    First – and I don’t care what anyone says – Culpepper isn’t going to play during the first month of the season.
    Did Dr. James Andrews write this?

    Sure, it's a good speculation and he might even be right, but i'm tired of people putting this information out there as if it's gospel.

    Yeah, we might take a step back, but doubtful. I believe this team is building something that goes beyond just having skilled players that can make plays. They are building a chemistry and a belief in this system. They are following Nick word for word and Nick has their ear and together, I think there is a confidence and belief of being unstopable. Zach said it a couple of weeks ago, that before, they would point to game A or B and say, we can win this one or this one will be tough, but, I think now, each and every time they step on the field, they believe they are the better team and the better prepared team, and when you can do that, you've won half the battle on game day. Sometimes it's the mindset of the team, as much as it's the ability of it's players. So sure, it might be a year before we challenge them, I sure can wait one more year, but, I know that we should have beat them BOTH times we played them, and that was with a team that was in it's first year of the Saban system and a team that didn't have nearly the player personnel this years team does. From Culpepper to Beasley, to adding depth at WR and getting younger, faster, and more athletic in the secondary. Patriots fans can believe all they want that we're a year a way, and sure, we might be, but, Chowder heads, don't let your jaws hit the ground too hard if we're a year ahead of your schedule, and you find yourself looking upwards at us this season.

    It's better to remain silent and appear a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
    "Mark Twain"
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    lazareth's Avatar
    get your chief on...

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    6,300
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Northeastern NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woolhoss
    There is a huge problem with this article and it is summed up in two words. LEE CORSO. It might as well be an MLS column written by John Kruk
    :dunno: a link to it just showed up on my radar screen (any news article with miami dolphins in it is forwarded to my inbox) and thought i'd pass it on...

    ...its not like i actually went to the patsy's website on purpose
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    SuperMarksBros.'s Avatar
    Formerly Fiedler for MVP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2001
    Posts:
    6,485
    vCash:
    2531
    Loc:
    A van down by the river
    Thanks / No Thanks
    whil i believe the pats are kings of the east until someone knocks them off, the article was written by a patriots fan(corso didnt write it, the guy just quoted him).


    "Ryan Tannehill out-Brady'ed Brady"- DanPatrick
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    GoonBoss's Avatar
    Finheaven Templar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    18,383
    vCash:
    8217
    Loc:
    Goatsville, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think it may well be likely true, overall...Lee Corso notwithstanding.

    I think the first year's draft will be makeing the real impact, and,
    then, the second years draft will just be matureing by the third year.

    I'll take the SB this year.....I mean, sure....

    But at the same time I think it's unreasonable to expect a SB
    this year.

    Until the Pats are knocked off, they rule.

    Bill B. is still a heck of a coach last time I checked.


    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    lazareth's Avatar
    get your chief on...

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    6,300
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Northeastern NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfan34
    Did Dr. James Andrews write this?

    Sure, it's a good speculation and he might even be right, but i'm tired of people putting this information out there as if it's gospel.
    i hope by 'people' you meant the writer

    Quote Originally Posted by fishfan34
    Yeah, we might take a step back, but doubtful. I believe this team is building something that goes beyond just having skilled players that can make plays. They are building a chemistry and a belief in this system. They are following Nick word for word and Nick has their ear and together, I think there is a confidence and belief of being unstopable. Zach said it a couple of weeks ago, that before, they would point to game A or B and say, we can win this one or this one will be tough, but, I think now, each and every time they step on the field, they believe they are the better team and the better prepared team, and when you can do that, you've won half the battle on game day. Sometimes it's the mindset of the team, as much as it's the ability of it's players. So sure, it might be a year before we challenge them, I sure can wait one more year, but, I know that we should have beat them BOTH times we played them, and that was with a team that was in it's first year of the Saban system and a team that didn't have nearly the player personnel this years team does. From Culpepper to Beasley, to adding depth at WR and getting younger, faster, and more athletic in the secondary. Patriots fans can believe all they want that we're a year a way, and sure, we might be, but, Chowder heads, don't let your jaws hit the ground too hard if we're a year ahead of your schedule, and you find yourself looking upwards at us this season.
    amen!
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    woolhoss's Avatar
    Beer League Softball Allstar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    139
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    WVU
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Still. anything with Lee Corso's name in or on it I throw away. Being as he hates us WVU Mountaineers like we knocked up his daughter and left her in a trailer park.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    CitizenSnips's Avatar
    Ready for Henne.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    6,921
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    sounds like a fight for the division. I wouldn't want it any other way.


    "Having moneys not everything, not having it is"
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    biggfish72's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2006
    Posts:
    280
    vCash:
    1184
    Loc:
    Nor.Cali
    Thanks / No Thanks
    AFC EAST CHAMP"S ,until he put's on da pat's UNI'& paly some ball, 4get dat bull s.ht,nick has this team in da right direction
    DOMINATION & DEVASTATEION 72.:bling:
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Boston still beasts of the East (and theyre enjoying it)
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 07:59 PM
  2. The Beasts Of The East: Final Defense
    By FinAtic8480 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 12:33 AM
  3. Please Read - Beasts of the East
    By finswin56 in forum Beasts of the AFC East
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 08:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •