Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Jesus was a liberal

  1. -11
    Sniper's Avatar
    Your friendly neighborhood Bills fan

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    588
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by WharfRat
    Snipe....

    Let's clarify something.

    While I do agree with a lot of W's policy's ... I don't agree with all of them...

    Church and State should be separate. Period. It says so in the constitution... which is why IMHO, people like Jesse Jackson should never be allowed to run for office..... If they have an affiliation with a church, they shouldn't be considered for public office. GWB may consider himself a religiously motivated man... but he's not a Pastor, Reverend, Priest or Rabbi.

    That said...I think Bush carries the religious factor just a little too far... Don't get me wrong, I think if kids want to pray in school, they should be allowed to.... and I don NOT think references to God should be removed from the National Anthem, etc... but there should be a happy medium...

    I also don't consider myself "conservative" as the definition applies.... certainly not liberal, although I do have some liberal views.... I suppose that makes me a "moderate"... who knows.... who cares...
    My point is.....


    what was my point anyway? Oh yes...

    Religion and politics don't mix.....:goof:
    Actually Wharf,

    This post really isn't meant for you. There are some people on here who claim acting in this manner is practicing communism. I maintain it is being Christian. That is really my intent. In fact, I don't consider Bush & Co., the Pat Robertsons, and the Jerry Fallwells of the world very Christian at all.
    Last edited by Sniper; 03-26-2003 at 11:34 PM.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -12
    Sniper's Avatar
    Your friendly neighborhood Bills fan

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    588
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by WharfRat


    I know...I know.... it was ambiguous....

    My point, however, is that the Dems have a rep for overspending, while the GOP is touted as being a little more "conservative" with their spending....

    all I was saying is that your post seems to punctuate that stereotype....
    Yes.. I agree

    I guess my post is also trying to make a point about what the word 'liberal' really means. It has such a bad rap lately when it is really a divinely inspired concept.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -13
    Adam the Quarterback

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2002
    Posts:
    3,534
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by Sniper
    Actually Wharf,

    This post really isn't meant for you. There are some people on here who claim acting in this manner is practicing communism. I maintain it is being Christian. That is really my intent. In fact, I don't consider Bush & Co., the Pat Robertsons, and the Jerry Fallwells of the world very Christian at all.
    It isn't very Christian to question and judge others faith. I also don't think Jesus would want to keep Saddam in power, but this is all speculation.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -14
    Sniper's Avatar
    Your friendly neighborhood Bills fan

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    588
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by booyeah_
    It isn't very Christian to question and judge others faith. I also don't think Jesus would want to keep Saddam in power, but this is all speculation.
    True.. but Christians can judge other's actions... Judging them from their actions and they don't seem to follow Christ's teachings as much as they claim to.

    As for keeping Saddam... I don't think Jesus would approve of a war to remove him. I also think Jesus wouldn't approve of these people who profit from war.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -15
    Dolfan984's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2001
    Posts:
    9,679
    vCash:
    1258
    Loc:
    Bay Area, California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Just because you're liberal means you want Saddam in power?


    Quote Quote  

  6. -16
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    17,876
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    In a land far, far away
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by Dolfan984
    Just because you're liberal means you want Saddam in power?
    who said that?
    Quote Quote  

  7. -17
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2001
    Posts:
    12,645
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    On an island
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by Sniper


    As for keeping Saddam... I don't think Jesus would approve of a war to remove him. I also think Jesus wouldn't approve of these people who profit from war.
    No one knows what Jesus would think of this war. You can speculate, but the only way to find out would be to talk to him, and since he is dead, that won't happen.

    I could seriously care less what Jesus would think about this war, and I don't care what the Pope thinks either.

    I don't think Bush is as religious as he acts. He hasn't done much about religious political issues (abortion) except for banning partial-birth abortion which was probably going to happen anyway. Also, Bush grew up in a house where his Dad was a different religion than his Mom, and in this situation there is a better chance that you won't be that religious. Also, Bush ignores what his church has to say about the war. He may believe in God, but he doesn't exactly read the Bible every day.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -18
    PhinPhan1227's Avatar
    Why is there a watermelon there?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2002
    Posts:
    15,647
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by Sniper
    Here's some synonyms of liberal:

    liberal, bounteous, bountiful, freehanded, generous, handsome, munificent, openhanded

    These adjectives mean willing or marked by a willingness to give unstintingly: a liberal backer of the arts; a bounteous feast; bountiful compliments; a freehanded host; a generous donation; a handsome offer; a munificent gift; fond and openhanded grandparents. See also synonyms at broad-minded.
    Both contemporary ideologies of Liberalism and Conservativism embrace generocity, the difference boils down to this...Conservatives think they should be able to be generous with their own money....Liberals think they should be able to be generous with everyone elses money.

    Jesus, was very Liberal, but there's a world of difference between the definition of Liberal and Conservative, and the actual practice of Liberalism and Conservativism as it exists today. In reality, given the current state of the US, I'd say that the GOP is more "liberal" than the DNC simply because it's the one who's trying to change much of the status quo here in the US(banning abortion, bringing prayer back to schools, cutting taxes...etc). I don't agree with many of those changes, but I would have to label tham as quite Liberal given that the DNC is trying to maintain more of the status quo.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -19
    Sniper's Avatar
    Your friendly neighborhood Bills fan

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    588
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
    Both contemporary ideologies of Liberalism and Conservativism embrace generocity, the difference boils down to this...Conservatives think they should be able to be generous with their own money....Liberals think they should be able to be generous with everyone elses money.

    Jesus, was very Liberal, but there's a world of difference between the definition of Liberal and Conservative, and the actual practice of Liberalism and Conservativism as it exists today. In reality, given the current state of the US, I'd say that the GOP is more "liberal" than the DNC simply because it's the one who's trying to change much of the status quo here in the US(banning abortion, bringing prayer back to schools, cutting taxes...etc). I don't agree with many of those changes, but I would have to label tham as quite Liberal given that the DNC is trying to maintain more of the status quo.
    I'm not going by the contemporary meaning of liberalism. Neoconservatives perverted the true meaning a long time ago just as they had perverted the meanings of other virtueous concepts.

    Neocons were certainly taking notes from Josef Goebbels, the infamous Nazi Propagandist. They know full well if you repeat something enough people will believe it.

    Greed is good
    War is Peace

    Quote Quote  

  10. -20
    PhinPhan1227's Avatar
    Why is there a watermelon there?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2002
    Posts:
    15,647
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great, now we're falling back on George Orwell. Both liberal and conservative have their good and bad connotations, many of which are richly deserved. I think that much of the "liberalism" of the 60's was noble and richly overdue...while other elements of that liberalism were self serving and caused many of the problems this country now faces. Likewise, much of the Conservativism of the 50's was demonstrative of the heart of "American values", while many other elements of it were holdovers to an era of hatred and injustice. Basically, I think it all comes down to this...this nation was founded by Liberal minded Conservatives. They were open to exacting change, but that change was within a framework of rather conservative ideals. It was that balance which created the greatest nation on earth. Quite honestly, if we could get all the hard right and left wingers in this country on a sinking boat, we'd all live much easier, happier lives.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 01:49 PM
  2. Trying to think like a liberal
    By zach13 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 01:31 AM
  3. you know you're a liberal if...
    By Wildbill3 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 04:53 PM
  4. Jesus, now I HAVE seen everything..
    By Dolphins99Fan in forum General NFL Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 07:18 PM
  5. What exactly is a liberal?
    By Jaydog57 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 06:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •