Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So much for "peaceful" NY protests...

1. -1
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks

So much for "peaceful" NY protests...

On a side note, is it just me, or are the female "Pro-War" demonstrators generally MUCH hotter than the female "Anti-War" demonstrators?

In City, Protests Heating Up
    Police weary of costly diversions

By Melanie Lefkowitz and Pete Bowles
    STAFF WRITERS

March 27, 2003

Tens of thousands of marchers through midtown. Demonstrators lying down in the streets. Protests every day in Union Square. A coalition of anti-war groups planning to crash the "Today" show.

As the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq moves into its second week, the local protest movement is gaining momentum and police are growing wearier of responding to each event. Yesterday, several groups announced their plans to hold a "Die-In" this morning in Rockefeller Center, representing war victims by lying down in intersections and hoping to snarl traffic and "disrupt business as usual" to broadcast their opposition to the war.

"We will make people aware of what is happening in Iraq and make them stop and think that people are dying as they go about their lives," said Cheree Dillon, a spokeswoman for the M27 Coalition, an umbrella organization for dozens of anti-war groups.

Activists employed a similar technique at last week's massive anti-war protests in San Francisco, which closed down streets and led to thousands of arrests.

As part of today's planned demonstration, Dillon said, hundreds of protesters will converge in front of the windows of NBC-TV's "Today" show. They don't plan to halt the show, she said, "but if that is one of the consequences, so be it."

Though Police Commissioner Ray Kelly did not want to discuss the specifics of what he expects to happen at the scattershot protests, he said the ongoing roll of demonstrations is taking its toll on an already swamped department.

"We have finite resources, so you have to juggle these things," he said. "We have to anticipate violence or prepare for violence."

Coverage of the massive anti-war march held Saturday cost the NYPD an estimated $1.2 million, Kelly said. That's in excess of the $5-million bill for Operation Atlas' first week, he said.

The vast majority of more than 125,000 marchers on Saturday demonstrated peacefully, but a small contingent clashed with police at the march's end in Washington Square Park. Kelly said nearly half of the 91 people arrested Saturday were from out of town, and he believes a handful of people were simply "bent on having a violent confrontation with police."

Whatever happens today or at any of the protests planned for every day this week, Kelly said, the police will be ready.

"We're prepared to respond; we have certainly a lot of experience in this area," he said. "I don't know if people are out to disrupt life in the city. This is more than a protest, more than free speech - we're talking about violating the law."
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a land far, far away
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Am I on speaker phone?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So much for "peaceful" NY protests...
    91 out of 125,000 protestors were arrested... thats less than 1%... ANY group contains at least 1% A$$holes...
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area, California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Actually, from the college courses I've taken, the liberals are MUCH MUCH hotter than the conservatives.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vacaville, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by 13isgr81
    91 out of 125,000 protestors were arrested... thats less than 1%... ANY group contains at least 1% A$$holes...
    Do you honestly believe that those were the only ones commiting violent acts?

I'm not saying it was a huge number, because I wasn't there (unlike the ones in SF) but I'm just pointing out the flaw in your argument, however.
    My Nomination for dumbest statement of the year.
    Said regarding the 10 commandments statue.

"This isn't about religeon! This is about acknowleging the allmighty god!"
    ~Some moron on talk radio out here.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vacaville, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: So much for "peaceful" NY protests...

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
    On a side note, is it just me, or are the female "Pro-War" demonstrators generally MUCH hotter than the female "Anti-War" demonstrators?
    Actually, from the college courses I've taken, the liberals are MUCH MUCH hotter than the conservatives.
    Can you both show pictures to back up both of your sides of this. :evil:
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Adam the Quarterback

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Re: So much for "peaceful" NY protests...

Originally posted by Barbarian
    Can you both show pictures to back up both of your sides of this. :evil:
    I agree. Show some evidence to back up your claim!
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Am I on speaker phone?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by Barbarian
    Do you honestly believe that those were the only ones commiting violent acts?

I'm not saying it was a huge number, because I wasn't there (unlike the ones in SF) but I'm just pointing out the flaw in your argument, however.

Thanks but there is not "flaw" in my argument... Because the point of it remains the same there are a$$holes in every group.... This is a classic case of indentifying the acts of the extremeists of a particular movement with the actual majority...

Its like me saying that ALL republicans hold the same separationist views as Trent Lott, or that because a few anit-abortionists bomb clinics that all anti-abortionists are murderous bombers... Its not true but its good propaganda... and a good way to rally the troops...
    Last edited by Penthos; 03-27-2003 at 04:46 PM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    See new link
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vacaville, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by 13isgr81
    Thanks but there is not "flaw" in my argument... Because the point of it remains the same there are a$$holes in every group.... This is a classic case of indentifying the acts of the extremeists of a particular movement with the actual majority...

Its like me saying that ALL republicans hold the same separationist views as Trent Lott, or that because a few anit-abortionists bomb clinics that all anti-abortionists are murderous bombers... Its not true but its good propaganda... and a good way to rally the troops...
    I don't think he said that "All" protesters were violent.

At least thats not what I read from his post.

If thats what you were getting from his posts, then yeah, your point is valid, but as I interpreted what he posted, yeah, it would be a flawed argument.

I guess it depends on how you interpret his origeonal post.
    Quote Quote