Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So much for "peaceful" NY protests...

1. -11
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vacaville, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by 13isgr81
    Thanks but there is not "flaw" in my argument... Because the point of it remains the same there are a$$holes in every group.... This is a classic case of indentifying the acts of the extremeists of a particular movement with the actual majority...

Its like me saying that ALL republicans hold the same separationist views as Trent Lott, or that because a few anit-abortionists bomb clinics that all anti-abortionists are murderous bombers... Its not true but its good propaganda... and a good way to rally the troops...
    Basically the way that I read it would have been similar to if a liberal/moderate had made a comment bout the 2002 GOP National Convention and made a comment like "So much for Caring Conservatives..."
    My Nomination for dumbest statement of the year.
    Said regarding the 10 commandments statue.

"This isn't about religeon! This is about acknowleging the allmighty god!"
    ~Some moron on talk radio out here.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Am I on speaker phone?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I can live with that
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thanks but there is not "flaw" in my argument... Because the point of it remains the same there are a$$holes in every group.... This is a classic case of indentifying the acts of the extremeists of a particular movement with the actual majority...

Its like me saying that ALL republicans hold the same separationist views as Trent Lott, or that because a few anit-abortionists bomb clinics that all anti-abortionists are murderous bombers... Its not true but its good propaganda... and a good way to rally the troops...

The point of my post was to refute the earlier contention that...unlike the SF protests, the NY protests have been peaceful. Of course the majority of protestors were peaceful, they always are. But even with a couple of hundred thousand protestors, there doesn't have to be a violent core. There have been any number of protests/demonstrations which had even more people than the NY protests which had nowhere NEAR the number of idiots this march did. In a nutshell, with almost a hundred people breaking the law, you just can't characterize this as a "peaceful" protest. Heck, I fully agree that every large group has a significant number of idiots...it's just a matter of whether those idiots choose to break the law.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Am I on speaker phone?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte
    Thanks / No Thanks
    But even with a couple of hundred thousand protestors, there doesn't have to be a violent core.
    Why do you assume that the relative handful of violent protestors represent the core....? I just want to ask you if you really believe that is a sound assumption....?

This is the one the thing that I hate about the 2 party system... All it does is divide people among those lines... Us or them, friend or foe.... We are all conditioned to assume and argue that the extremeists are the heart of either side, which I don't think is the case....

We discredit each other with terms like "Hate Monger" and "Bleeding Heart" which in truth only represent a the most extreme interpretation of each ideal...

My point is this... yea, dems and reps disagree on a lot of things... but do we always have assume the worst of each other and our respective motives because we don't view something the same way? How productive is that...?
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why do you assume that the relative handful of violent protestors represent the core....? I just want to ask you if you really believe that is a sound assumption....?

This is the one the thing that I hate about the 2 party system... All it does is divide people among those lines... Us or them, friend or foe.... We are all conditioned to assume and argue that the extremeists are the heart of either side, which I don't think is the case....

We discredit each other with terms like "Hate Monger" and "Bleeding Heart" which in truth only represent a the most extreme interpretation of each ideal...

My point is this... yea, dems and reps disagree on a lot of things... but do we always have assume the worst of each other and our respective motives because we don't view something the same way? How productive is that...?

You can call it a violent fringe(violent isn't exactly the right word...criminal is better), if you'd prefer...but either way, when you have an "element" which is like this, it's going to taint the group. Not EVERY Philadelphian is a jerk who would cheer an injury...but that's the rap they have because of some individuals. Maybe it's undeserved...but if they didn't want the image, they should do something about it. I can promise you, that while only 91 people took part in illegal activities, a much LARGER part of the crowd was cheering them on....and at the very least, the rest of the crowd did nothing to stop them. Look, the VAST majority of people who are against the war are good, solid people who love their country. But there's also an element within the anti-war movement that is at the very least against what America stands for, if not openly against America itself. There are also right wing elements who are against American ideals...and when people like them raise their ugly heads(Pat Robertson), I'll be there to shoot them down as well.
    Quote Quote