Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Wine Lovers Out There??

1. -1
    future of the funk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoDolphins HomerCam Wake 91

Any Wine Lovers Out There??

Any Wine Lovers Out There??.Im going to a wine tasting next week and have really only tried a few really cheap wines.I love wine but whats to look for?Ive had White Zifandel,and the Berenger cheap stuff.I want to get serious about my wine drinking.Help please.

2014 ladies lounge entry:ariel meredith
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    hate the stuff! Give me a beer!
    Time To Ski

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    future of the funk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NJFINSFAN1
    hate the stuff! Give me a beer!
    Well thank you sir.Check is in the mail.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    I'm on my comma

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dre3000
    Any Wine Lovers Out There??.Im going to a wine tasting next week and have really only tried a few really cheap wines.I love wine but whats to look for?Ive had White Zifandel,and the Berenger cheap stuff.I want to get serious about my wine drinking.Help please.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6...neshop17oa.jpg
    :eek: Whatever you do, don't tell anyone there about the white zinfandel; they consider it kool-aid for adults.

Zinfandels: big, bold flavors of berries, dark fruits; a good one will be complex, with flavors of leather, maybe tobacco and dark spices. Like a taste bomb, great with lamb, steaks, goat. You'll enjoy them if you like bold flavors.

Pinot Noirs: usually grown in Oregon or southern WA, very difficult to grow, a rare and wonderful specialty. I think some come from New Zealand too, if I remember The Wine Babe's show on them (Andrea Immer, the show is Simply Wine on fine living; she's the bomb when it comes to wine, and sexy as all hell too :groucho: ) A step down from the hugeness of the zins, but beautifully complex and rich.

Cabernets: made many, many ways in many, many places. Considered the finest wines by connoisseurs; they're mostly beyond my palate. The cheap ones are either bad, or too young, and the tannins will floor you. The older, better ones are expensive as all hell. Needless to say, I don't drink cabs.

Merlots: Kind of the ******* stepchild of the wine world; most wine enthusiasts will mock them because they're very drinkable, but mostly lack any character or complexity. Fun to drink when serving a large group whose wine expertise you don't think is exceptional.

All of the above are blends of different grapes to give each wine its character; now, Shiraz is a grape varietal that's bottled as shiraz; grown most anywhere, a lot of it comes from Australia and the west coast of the US. Big, hearty, less so than Zinfandel but more so than Cabs.

Then there's whites...I don't drink many whites, but some favorites:

Pinot Grigio: fruity, usually citrusy; not a lot of complexity, but the perfect wine for summer, very refreshing cold.

Chardonnay: the Cabernet of the white wines; usually tart, more astringent than other whites. again, the good ones cost a fortune, but you can luck out sometimes - just stay clear of the Californias - if you can afford them, they're more likely to be poor than good. But when they're good, man...they're amazing.

There's one wine that I enjoy, it's kind of an acquired taste: vinho verde from Portugal. Great for before dinner instead of cocktails. Another one is Lillet, from France; comes in both red and white, try the white first. A great aperitif - again, an acquired taste...and it's not at all expensive.

And if anyone ever offers you a taste of a Sauternes from France...be prepared for a very special treat my friend. Rare and difficult to produce, it's made from white grapes that have vine-ripened until they're almost raisins and acquire a particular kind of mold. A decent bottle of Sauternes will run $100, but it's something you have to experience at least once in life.

You know, there's a chain of stores on the WC called Trader Joe's...I've gotten the most amazing bargains on some really terrific wines there; I just got a case of some Spanish red table wine, and it is knock-your socks-off good - and it was $3.99 a bottle! Check them out if you live near one.

Mmmm...this conversation has whet my whistle!

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    I like boobs.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yuuuuuup.

My favorite out of the reds is a Pinot Noir and a chianti.

Those are usually the smoother red wines.

I'm not a big white wine fan.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    I'm on my comma

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDevil28
    Yuuuuuup.

My favorite out of the reds is a Pinot Noir and a chianti.

Those are usually the smoother red wines.

I'm not a big white wine fan.
    :eek: Oh, damn! I forgot the Italians!

Pretty much all the Italian reds are pretty good; the Montepulcianos and Amarones are amazing; and there's a sparkling wine made only in the vicinity of Venice called Prossecco...wonderful stuff, and a great (less expensive) alternative to champagne.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    future of the funk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NaboCane
    :eek: Whatever you do, don't tell anyone there about the white zinfandel; they consider it kool-aid for adults.

Zinfandels: big, bold flavors of berries, dark fruits; a good one will be complex, with flavors of leather, maybe tobacco and dark spices. Like a taste bomb, great with lamb, steaks, goat. You'll enjoy them if you like bold flavors.

Pinot Noirs: usually grown in Oregon or southern WA, very difficult to grow, a rare and wonderful specialty. I think some come from New Zealand too, if I remember The Wine Babe's show on them (Andrea Immer, the show is Simply Wine on fine living; she's the bomb when it comes to wine, and sexy as all hell too :groucho: ) A step down from the hugeness of the zins, but beautifully complex and rich.

Cabernets: made many, many ways in many, many places. Considered the finest wines by connoisseurs; they're mostly beyond my palate. The cheap ones are either bad, or too young, and the tannins will floor you. The older, better ones are expensive as all hell. Needless to say, I don't drink cabs.

Merlots: Kind of the ******* stepchild of the wine world; most wine enthusiasts will mock them because they're very drinkable, but mostly lack any character or complexity. Fun to drink when serving a large group whose wine expertise you don't think is exceptional.

All of the above are blends of different grapes to give each wine its character; now, Shiraz is a grape varietal that's bottled as shiraz; grown most anywhere, a lot of it comes from Australia and the west coast of the US. Big, hearty, less so than Zinfandel but more so than Cabs.

Then there's whites...I don't drink many whites, but some favorites:

Pinot Grigio: fruity, usually citrusy; not a lot of complexity, but the perfect wine for summer, very refreshing cold.

Chardonnay: the Cabernet of the white wines; usually tart, more astringent than other whites. again, the good ones cost a fortune, but you can luck out sometimes - just stay clear of the Californias - if you can afford them, they're more likely to be poor than good. But when they're good, man...they're amazing.

There's one wine that I enjoy, it's kind of an acquired taste: vinho verde from Portugal. Great for before dinner instead of cocktails. Another one is Lillet, from France; comes in both red and white, try the white first. A great aperitif - again, an acquired taste...and it's not at all expensive.

And if anyone ever offers you a taste of a Sauternes from France...be prepared for a very special treat my friend. Rare and difficult to produce, it's made from white grapes that have vine-ripened until they're almost raisins and acquire a particular kind of mold. A decent bottle of Sauternes will run $100, but it's something you have to experience at least once in life.

You know, there's a chain of stores on the WC called Trader Joe's...I've gotten the most amazing bargains on some really terrific wines there; I just got a case of some Spanish red table wine, and it is knock-your socks-off good - and it was $3.99 a bottle! Check them out if you live near one.

Mmmm...this conversation has whet my whistle!
    Ok I wont tell anybody about the Zifandel .Thanks for your help Nabo.This is exactly what I was looking for.I'll refer to this before we go to the tasting.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Ronnie23Brown

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dolphins Stadium/Montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I love Wine!!

Esp From France!! I think FRance hasthe best Wine IMO

sig by In_Flames
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    President LLB/Unicorn/Rainbow Club

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pompton Beach, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NaboCane
    :eek: Oh, damn! I forgot the Italians!

Pretty much all the Italian reds are pretty good; the Montepulcianos and Amarones are amazing; and there's a sparkling wine made only in the vicinity of Venice called Prossecco...wonderful stuff, and a great (less expensive) alternative to champagne.
    Don't forget the Brunellos.

Next to the Amarones, those two are the best wines on the planet, hands down. Think you are a vampire & it's blood. They have this velvety texture, and perfect tastes.

Best is, you pretty much can't go wrong with vineyards. If it is a Brunello or an Amarone you are set. Better get a sugar mamma though. Never seen one under $40. And most are in the $100 - $300 range.
    81 - 3AM + 24/7

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Get the ball to the PLAYMAKER!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kirkland, Wa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Here in Walla Walla we have some of the best wines in the us, and the world. Great Merlots, Cab Savs, Cab Francs, and Syrahs. Basically when you go tasting, you want to make sure your pallet is clean. Look at the appearance of the wine, color and clarity.
    Take not of the Smell, you can tell the different fruits, woods, and other fragrances. Swirl the glass to release the aromatics from the wine. Then try it to see how it coats your mouth.
    Theres alot to wine, but basically its fun to try. I love to go tasting.

heres a interestingsite to help out also
    http://www.tasting-wine.com/
    THANKS LIKE2GOD FOR THE SWEET SIG!!!

Quote Quote