Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Judge Orders Teen to Cancer Treatment

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks

Judge Orders Teen to Cancer Treatment

A judge ruled Friday that a 16-year-old boy fighting to use alternative treatment for his cancer must report to a hospital by Tuesday and accept treatment that doctors deem necessary, the family's attorney said.

The judge also found Starchild Abraham Cherrix's parents were neglectful for allowing him to pursue alternative treatment of a sugar-free, organic diet and herbal supplements supervised by a clinic in Mexico, lawyer John Stepanovich said.

Jay and Rose Cherrix of Chincoteague on Virginia's Eastern Shore must continue to share custody of their son with the Accomack County Department of Social Services, as the judge had previously ordered, Stepanovich said.

The parents were devastated by the new order and planned to appeal, the lawyer said.

Stepanovich said he will ask a higher court on Monday to stay enforcement of the order, which requires the parents to take Abraham to Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters in Norfolk and to give the oncologist their written legal consent to treat their son for Hodgkin's disease.

"I want to caution all parents of Virginia: Look out, because Social Services may be pounding on your door next when they disagree with the decision you've made about the health care of your child," Stepanovich said.
    |Breitbart.com|
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    You sit on a throne of lies!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This isn't much of a shock. When you make decisions that are so far out there that it's apparent you are risking the life or wellbeing of your child, the government should step in. To the extent that this is controversial, it is whether this treatment is something the child himself wishes to avoid. The policy there is inconsistent at best. We let young girls get abortions on their demand. It's just a problematic area of the law.

I've got so many lawyers lined up to see me, you'd think I had tobacco leaking out of my breast implants.
    - Jimmy James
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
    This isn't much of a shock. When you make decisions that are so far out there that it's apparent you are risking the life or wellbeing of your child, the government should step in. To the extent that this is controversial, it is whether this treatment is something the child himself wishes to avoid. The policy there is inconsistent at best. We let young girls get abortions on their demand. It's just a problematic area of the law.
    I've been following this case for a while as I am sure you have. I was not surprised by the court's decision. Its primary responsibility is to protect the minor child. Privacy and choice issues are secondary, IMO until the child has reached the age of majority.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    You sit on a throne of lies!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I can understand why there are arguments to the contrary, but I think I probably agree. I can also see how the closer the child is to majority, the more likely an exception will be made.

This is actualy the first I have heard of this particular case, though.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hopefully the child gets the treatment and lives. When parents follow advice of people other than doctors for their childrens medical problems they are risking their childs life. It does seem to fall into child endangerment territory to me. Grown adults have the right to refuse treatment but adults I suppose but children need some protection.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Steve McQueen went to Mexico to follow the same treatment program and it didn't work for him either.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -Winston Churchill

All things being equal, when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Dolphin, its whats for dinner

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Apex, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    alternative treatment is still treatment.

if the "alternative treatment" doesnt work, then you can say darwin had a hand in it.

that said, just because a "treatment" is the common treatment, doesnt mean that it will work, or that its the best way to fix the problem. The parents obviously felt the alternative was the better choice. I think they have a right to decide that.
    Bills fan for life.
    and yes, i know i can't spell worth a damn.

Samir: No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days.. Ah. Ah. Ah. I just kick this piece of **** out the window.
    -Office Space-
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfansince72
    Hopefully the child gets the treatment and lives. When parents follow advice of people other than doctors for their childrens medical problems they are risking their childs life. It does seem to fall into child endangerment territory to me. Grown adults have the right to refuse treatment but adults I suppose but children need some protection.
    Problem as I see it is that the medical community gets more credit than they deserve. My father, when diagnosed with prostate cancer was given no more than one month to live. He started an "alternative" treatment and lived for more than a year after some of the best oncologists in SoFlo had written him off.
    - "What do we mean by the defeat of the enemy? Simply the destruction of his forces, whether by death, injury, or any other means -- either completely or enough to make him stop fighting. . . . ."-Carl von Clausewitz-
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinPhan1227
    Problem as I see it is that the medical community gets more credit than they deserve. My father, when diagnosed with prostate cancer was given no more than one month to live. He started an "alternative" treatment and lived for more than a year after some of the best oncologists in SoFlo had written him off.
    Well Im not sure how advanced the kids situation is. If doctors told me I had a month to live I would try any experimental or alternative treatment available. If the doctors gave me a good shot with their treatment plans Id go with them. Doctors make mistakes, they arent god but I seriously doubt these parents know more than them and I seriously doubt judges would interfere just for the sake of interfering. Sounds like the Child has a shot and the parents and him are going with some pie in the sky alternative.
    Quote Quote