Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Did we refer to Bin Laden's terrorist group as "Al Qaeda" during the USS Cole attack?

1. -1
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Did we refer to Bin Laden's terrorist group as "Al Qaeda" during the USS Cole attack?

I had watched a documentary that stated the US actually used the term Al Qaeda only after the 9/11 attacks, and that the group itself didnt even refer to itself as Al Qaeda until after the US started using the term for them..

Im just wondering, has the term been documented as being used prior to 9/11 by Bin Laden and his organization?
    FIRE FAILBIN

**If the Dolphins make the playoffs, this sig will become HIRE PHILWIN**
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good question. I don't remember that we did.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rehoboth Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I really can't say that I remember them being called such until 9-11.
    DD..................the #1 Delaware Dolfan !!!

Doing things you don't have to do today will help to determine where you'll be tomorrow when you can't do anything about it!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Mad Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The government did, although the media might not have. We know that the government used the term "Al-Qida" in several memos including one from Richard Clarke early in 2001
    Free Tibet

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its the same with Hezbollah. They claim that they werent founded until 1985 yet the U.S. blames them for the barracks attack in 1982. I havent been able to find a 1983 or 84 reference to hezbollah though that doesnt preclude that there werent any
    Better than Chris Long and Vernon Gholston
    PHILLIP MERLING
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    100% Homer. Don't like it? Get lost.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin
    I had watched a documentary that stated the US actually used the term Al Qaeda only after the 9/11 attacks, and that the group itself didnt even refer to itself as Al Qaeda until after the US started using the term for them..

Im just wondering, has the term been documented as being used prior to 9/11 by Bin Laden and his organization?
    The Clinton administration forwarded AQ as a serious and a high priority threat.

Al; Qaeda was well known to everybody..even under this name.

PS: the first time I heard of AQ was in 199?..dam..1993 (?) in Somalia. When the marines were slaughtered.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Loyalty to my country always. Loyalty to my government when it deserves it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    100% Homer. Don't like it? Get lost.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adamprez2003
    Its the same with Hezbollah. They claim that they werent founded until 1985 yet the U.S. blames them for the barracks attack in 1982. I havent been able to find a 1983 or 84 reference to hezbollah though that doesnt preclude that there werent any
    Hezbollah was formed to combat the Israeli occupation following the 1982 invasion of Lebanon and opposes the Israeli state.[4] It was officially founded on the 16th of February, 1985 when Sheik Ibrahim al-Amin declared the group's manifesto.
    1983 and 1984:

Hezbollah was accused by the US government of being responsible for the April 1983 bombing of the U.S. Embassy in Beirut that killed 63; of being behind the 1983 Beirut barracks bombing, a suicide truck bombing that killed 241 U.S. marines in their barracks in Beirut in October 1983; of bombing the replacement U.S. Embassy in East Beirut on September 20, 1984, killing 20 Lebanese and two U.S. soldiers; and of carrying out the 1985 hijacking of TWA Flight 847 en route from Athens to Rome. These accusations are denied by Hezbollah
    also
    1983–1984: 5 acts against the US and France,
    1982–1985: 11 acts against Israel
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hezbollah
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FFiB
    thx great stuff. answered some questions. still wonder were they called hezbollah in 82 or were they several different groups that only later merged into what we now call hezbollah

Scholars differ as to when Hezbollah came to be a distinct entity. Some organizations list the official formation of the group as early as 1982 [15] whereas Diaz and Newman maintain that Hezbollah remained an amalgamation of various violent Shi’a extremists until as late as 1985[16]. Regardless of when the name came into official use, a number of Shi’a groups were slowly assimilated into the organization, such as Islamic Jihad, Organization of the Oppressed on Earth and the Revolutionary Justice Organization.[citation needed] These designations are considered to be synonymous with Hezbollah by the US,[17] Israel[18] and Canada.[19]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hezbollah
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ive been searching but havent found anything definitive.. Closest I found was a Feb 2001 article from Time which mentioned the organization as named Al Qaeda

Al-Fadl sat in a New York City courtroom last week telling the world the intimate details he has been revealing to U.S. investigators over the years, about how bin Laden's Jihadist organization, called al Qaeda (the Base), works and how its terror conspiracies evolve.
    From A Traitor's Tale
    By Johanna McGeary
    Feb. 19, 2001

http://www.time.com/time/archive/col...error,00.shtml

I couldnt read the other articles listed in their entirety so I dont know if it was mentioned.
    Quote Quote