Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merged: White House official gleeful for political gain over terrorist plot

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Merged: White House official gleeful for political gain over terrorist plot

http://americablog.blogspot.com/2006...eful-that.html

White House official gleeful that terrorists wanted to kill thousands of Americans on ten US airlines over the Atlantic </B>
    by John in DC - 8/10/2006 06:19:00 PM

"Weeks before September 11th, this is going to play big," said another White House official, who also spoke on condition of not being named, adding that some Democratic candidates won't "look as appealing" under the circumstances. - AFP, August 11, 2006
    Well that didn't take long. The Republicans never did meet a threat of mortal injury to thousands of American lives that they didn't welcome as a political windfall.

This is a scathing piece from Agence France-Presse, and a brilliant example of what real journalists do. They don't just parrot what the White House tells them, they actually investigate and report the facts. Our American brethren could learn a thing or two:
    US President George W. Bush seized on a foiled London airline bomb plot to hammer unnamed critics he accused of having all but forgotten the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Weighed down by the unpopular war in Iraq, Bush and his aides have tried to shift the national political debate from that conflict to the broader and more popular global war on terrorism ahead of November 7 congressional elections....

His remarks came a day after the White House orchestrated an exceptionally aggressive campaign to tar opposition Democrats as weak on terrorism, knowing what Democrats didn't: News of the plot could soon break....

Bush aides on Thursday fought the notion that they had exploited their knowledge of the coming British raid to hit Democrats, saying the trigger had been the defeat of Democratic Senator Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut by an anti-war political novice....

Snow said Bush first learned in detail about the plot on Friday, and received two detailed briefings on it on Saturday and Sunday, as well as had two conversations about it with British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

But a senior White House official said that the British government had not launched its raid until well after Cheney held a highly unusual conference call with reporters to attack the Democrats as weak against terrorism....
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You know, I watched Tony Snow's press conference Wednesday morning and literally stopped at the keyboard. He was going so far out of bounds in regard to the typical role of a press secretary, mentioning the Connecticut primary result and the supposed implications. I was thinking to myself, jeez no way a Scotty McClellan would have editorialized like that. Then a few hours later Cheney specifically uses the phrase "al Qaeda types" in regard to who Lieberman's defeat would supposedly encourage. Again, I sat there and tried to think of the last time a reference like that was made.

Frankly, I'm surprised we are learning the timeline today and not next February. There were some good questions at Thursday's press briefing. Turns out Bush approved the red alert status on Wednesday, before Cheney made his remarks about the Lieberman race.

Then look at how Snow stumbled around when asked about the previous day's theme, in regard to the timeline:

"Q Did you all know that this was going to break today, yesterday, when there was this massive response to the Connecticut primary, discussion of terrorism, al Qaeda?

MR. SNOW: I don't want to get into operational details. This was not -- however, it was not explicit -- let me put it this way, I don't want to encourage that line of thought. I don't think it's fully accurate, but I also don't want -- I know it's frustrating, but we really don't want to get too much into who knew what, where, when."
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    what a jackass... how damned transparent can this WH press secretary be?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This will play right into Republican hands, it will instantly become the theme of the November elections. This puts Iraq on the backpage for awhile, thats the best thing that can happen for the Pubs. The scared Soccor mom crowd probaly just jumped right back onto the Republican ticket.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfansince72
    This will play right into Republican hands, it will instantly become the theme of the November elections. This puts Iraq on the backpage for awhile, thats the best thing that can happen for the Pubs. The scared Soccor mom crowd probaly just jumped right back onto the Republican ticket.
    No! Give it a week. People will remember that we've improperly allocated resources to Iraq of all places and that they are currently in a civil war.

This admin as exhausted most of the good will that the entire world felt for us after 9/11 by electing to use the event as an excuse for carrying out their Neo Conservative agenda-an agenda that was already in place before the defining moment of 9/11.
    "It's the Ricky and Ronnie Show!":cpatch:
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This administration will also be getting the heat from the ACLU and Moveon.org types for any contribution they might have had in thwarting this terror plot by 1)looking at financial records or 2)intercepting phone calls.

How dare they try to offend the rights of anyone. Especially Islamo-facist terrorists who keep trying to kill thousands of innocent people.

Sure, our government is the enemy.:nono:
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    100% Homer. Don't like it? Get lost.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfansince72
    I agree.
    And of course while we do not want to tag yet another CT onto this administration's tail, timing is definitly weird.

If I would be a democrat and any of the Republicans would start using this prevented terror attack I would lambast them with the fact that our government was and is incompotent to put a dent into AQ, let OBL run around, using tremendous amounts of resources on Iraq instead of the war on terror and essentially opening Iraq up for terrorist. I would kill them on using the fear of terror to sway voters opinions. The Democrats must get aggressive.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Loyalty to my country always. Loyalty to my government when it deserves it.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    100% Homer. Don't like it? Get lost.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jguig
    This administration will also be getting the heat from the ACLU and Moveon.org types for any contribution they might have had in thwarting this terror plot by 1)looking at financial records or 2)intercepting phone calls.

How dare they try to offend the rights of anyone. Especially Islamo-facist terrorists who keep trying to kill thousands of innocent people.

They are not the only ones but they sure are part of the choir of enemies.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

What are you babbling about here?
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton
    Thanks / No Thanks

way to not talk about the thread...you tend to do that alot.
    Quote Quote