Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 19 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 189

Thread: Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com

  1. -1
    Remy_Basara_UK's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    54
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Sheffield, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com

    I am incredulous that this hasn't already been posted... but it did only go up today and I can't find it posted on here so...

    http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite...ban_column.asp

    "So I'm going to ask the fans to compete for 60 minutes in a game just like I ask my players to do. Those that did that in the Buffalo game last year saw a tremendous comeback; that's what competitors have to do. You've got to play the game all the way through. You can't get frustrated just because something bad happens. You've got to turn and play the next play. "

    As someone who stays up until 5.30am one or two nights every week to follow the nfl (and I have to go to work in the morning too) and never gives up on any Dolphins game even on the internet radio at 5am,I can't fathom fans giving up on games when you are actually AT the stadium. The first time I went to see a Dolphin game (at San Francisco) my friend's car broke down, I got to the game late, I missed the first quarter, when they went down 14-0, they lost 21-0 and never even threatened to score anything while I was there. I was still shouting for my team in 'enemy territory' till the end and even shouting for the players as they left the stadium. I can see you mentally giving up on the game a bit and being a bit less involved when its a really demoralising one, especially on TV and the radio, but leaving the stadium and stuff.. well.. I'll just never get it. Its not just a Dolphin thing either, it seems to happen to every team.

    So yeh, I could agree more with Saban, as usual.

    (Rest of the article is great also, even if you don't agree with this stuff, check it out ).
    Dolphin SUPPORTER in England...

    Want to know the difference between a supporter and a fan? Read my thread:
    http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=153901
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    G-Force's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    6,358
    vCash:
    1022
    Loc:
    Marion, N.C.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Right on.
    It's not just BB anymore. Go HEELS!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2004
    Posts:
    13,052
    vCash:
    2032
    Loc:
    192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That was awesome.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    ckparrothead's Avatar
    Premium Member

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    47,250
    vCash:
    3720
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    2
    I know this may be an unpopular thing to say, but leave it to Nick Saban to have such a big ego as to think that the fans who pay his salary, also work for him.

    Listen I see what he is saying and I see what ya'll are saying and yes, it does help the football team when the fans are supportive and do not boo the team, etc. Buffalo's a great example, if everyone starts booing mercilessly maybe we don't make that comeback.

    But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win. Saban is forgetting who exactly is paying who, here.

    If I like to shop at Wal-Mart, and am a big fan of the store, and I buy something defective, I'm still taking it straight back to the customer service counter and getting my refund. Would I listen to a Wal-Mart CEO try and tell me that if I like the store and like shopping there, please stop taking defective items back for refunds? Heck no.

    So in short, fans do whatever it is they feel like doing. That's their god-given right. They pay money for a product. If they are unhappy with the product they can certainly voice their displeasure over it if they want...as long as they realize that simply voicing their displeasure makes turning that bad product into a good product just a little bit harder than if they cheered for the team unconditionally as if they were competing at the Special Olympics (where you're a winner as long as you just try hard).
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Caps's Avatar
    At the End of the Day

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    3,210
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    305
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Staying till the end of that Buffalo game last year was a damn good decision for me. I still remember how the stadium got louder than I've ever heard it while being only 1/4 full at best.


    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    fins1's Avatar
    Sec 145 Row 20 Seats5,6

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2003
    Posts:
    1,405
    vCash:
    1817
    Loc:
    daytona beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy_Basara_UK
    I am incredulous that this hasn't already been posted... but it did only go up today and I can't find it posted on here so...

    http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite...ban_column.asp

    "So I'm going to ask the fans to compete for 60 minutes in a game just like I ask my players to do. Those that did that in the Buffalo game last year saw a tremendous comeback; that's what competitors have to do. You've got to play the game all the way through. You can't get frustrated just because something bad happens. You've got to turn and play the next play. "

    As someone who stays up until 5.30am one or two nights every week to follow the nfl (and I have to go to work in the morning too) and never gives up on any Dolphins game even on the internet radio at 5am,I can't fathom fans giving up on games when you are actually AT the stadium. The first time I went to see a Dolphin game (at San Francisco) my friend's car broke down, I got to the game late, I missed the first quarter, when they went down 14-0, they lost 21-0 and never even threatened to score anything while I was there. I was still shouting for my team in 'enemy territory' till the end and even shouting for the players as they left the stadium. I can see you mentally giving up on the game a bit and being a bit less involved when its a really demoralising one, especially on TV and the radio, but leaving the stadium and stuff.. well.. I'll just never get it. Its not just a Dolphin thing either, it seems to happen to every team.

    So yeh, I could agree more with Saban, as usual.

    (Rest of the article is great also, even if you don't agree with this stuff, check it out ).
    The wife and I flew out to that game. Boy did that suck(Thank god for wine country). We have season tix and never leave before 0:00 cheering all the way. The thing that really pisses me off is when our fans boo our team for something. No excuse for that, I don't care what the circumstance.
    17-0
    J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK


    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    miamirick's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2003
    Posts:
    690
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm sorry....but if the Fins are down 24 points late in the 4th quarter, odds are, I'm outta there. And you CAN'T tell me I'm any less of a fan than anyone else...I've been giving my heart and soul to this team (and large amounts of money for that matter) for the greater part of last 23 years (I got into football at around 11 years old). I would never leave a tight ballgame in which we had a legit chance of coming back...But a game in which we're getting blown out??? I'm gone.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    fins1's Avatar
    Sec 145 Row 20 Seats5,6

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2003
    Posts:
    1,405
    vCash:
    1817
    Loc:
    daytona beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead
    But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win. Saban is forgetting who exactly is paying who, here.
    Tell that to the KC fans. I'm sure a W or two could be contributed to their help.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    ckparrothead's Avatar
    Premium Member

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    47,250
    vCash:
    3720
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by miamirick
    I'm sorry....but if the Fins are down 24 points late in the 4th quarter, odds are, I'm outta there. And you CAN'T tell me I'm any less of a fan than anyone else...I've been giving my heart and soul to this team (and large amounts of money for that matter) for the greater part of last 23 years (I got into football at around 11 years old). I would never leave a tight ballgame in which we had a legit chance of coming back...But a game in which we're getting blown out??? I'm gone.
    Exactly. Nobody should be getting down on you for that kind of thing. Instead, the team is really to blame. If the team is playing so poorly that getting out of the game a little early and trying to beat the traffic becomes more important to fans than watching every second of the game...that's on the team, not the fan who paid the money.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2004
    Posts:
    13,052
    vCash:
    2032
    Loc:
    192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miamirick
    I'm sorry....but if the Fins are down 24 points late in the 4th quarter, odds are, I'm outta there. And you CAN'T tell me I'm any less of a fan than anyone else...I've been giving my heart and soul to this team (and large amounts of money for that matter) for the greater part of last 23 years (I got into football at around 11 years old). I would never leave a tight ballgame in which we had a legit chance of coming back...But a game in which we're getting blown out??? I'm gone.
    How could you be giving your heart and soul to a team but at the same time leave when times get rough? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Sparano column over on Miamidolphins.com
    By Fin-Fan-13 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 01:48 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 09:03 AM
  3. New Saban Column up on Dolphins site
    By lazareth in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-05-2006, 03:31 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-22-2003, 03:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •