Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 19 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sheffield, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks

Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com

I am incredulous that this hasn't already been posted... but it did only go up today and I can't find it posted on here so...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite...ban_column.asp

"So I'm going to ask the fans to compete for 60 minutes in a game just like I ask my players to do. Those that did that in the Buffalo game last year saw a tremendous comeback; that's what competitors have to do. You've got to play the game all the way through. You can't get frustrated just because something bad happens. You've got to turn and play the next play. "

As someone who stays up until 5.30am one or two nights every week to follow the nfl (and I have to go to work in the morning too) and never gives up on any Dolphins game even on the internet radio at 5am,I can't fathom fans giving up on games when you are actually AT the stadium. The first time I went to see a Dolphin game (at San Francisco) my friend's car broke down, I got to the game late, I missed the first quarter, when they went down 14-0, they lost 21-0 and never even threatened to score anything while I was there. I was still shouting for my team in 'enemy territory' till the end and even shouting for the players as they left the stadium. I can see you mentally giving up on the game a bit and being a bit less involved when its a really demoralising one, especially on TV and the radio, but leaving the stadium and stuff.. well.. I'll just never get it. Its not just a Dolphin thing either, it seems to happen to every team.

So yeh, I could agree more with Saban, as usual.

(Rest of the article is great also, even if you don't agree with this stuff, check it out ).
    Dolphin SUPPORTER in England...

Want to know the difference between a supporter and a fan? Read my thread:
    http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=153901
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Marion, N.C.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Right on.
    It's not just BB anymore. Go HEELS!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That was awesome.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know this may be an unpopular thing to say, but leave it to Nick Saban to have such a big ego as to think that the fans who pay his salary, also work for him.

Listen I see what he is saying and I see what ya'll are saying and yes, it does help the football team when the fans are supportive and do not boo the team, etc. Buffalo's a great example, if everyone starts booing mercilessly maybe we don't make that comeback.

But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win. Saban is forgetting who exactly is paying who, here.

If I like to shop at Wal-Mart, and am a big fan of the store, and I buy something defective, I'm still taking it straight back to the customer service counter and getting my refund. Would I listen to a Wal-Mart CEO try and tell me that if I like the store and like shopping there, please stop taking defective items back for refunds? Heck no.

So in short, fans do whatever it is they feel like doing. That's their god-given right. They pay money for a product. If they are unhappy with the product they can certainly voice their displeasure over it if they want...as long as they realize that simply voicing their displeasure makes turning that bad product into a good product just a little bit harder than if they cheered for the team unconditionally as if they were competing at the Special Olympics (where you're a winner as long as you just try hard).
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    At the End of the Day

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Staying till the end of that Buffalo game last year was a damn good decision for me. I still remember how the stadium got louder than I've ever heard it while being only 1/4 full at best.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Sec 145 Row 20 Seats5,6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    daytona beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy_Basara_UK
    I am incredulous that this hasn't already been posted... but it did only go up today and I can't find it posted on here so...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite...ban_column.asp

"So I'm going to ask the fans to compete for 60 minutes in a game just like I ask my players to do. Those that did that in the Buffalo game last year saw a tremendous comeback; that's what competitors have to do. You've got to play the game all the way through. You can't get frustrated just because something bad happens. You've got to turn and play the next play. "

As someone who stays up until 5.30am one or two nights every week to follow the nfl (and I have to go to work in the morning too) and never gives up on any Dolphins game even on the internet radio at 5am,I can't fathom fans giving up on games when you are actually AT the stadium. The first time I went to see a Dolphin game (at San Francisco) my friend's car broke down, I got to the game late, I missed the first quarter, when they went down 14-0, they lost 21-0 and never even threatened to score anything while I was there. I was still shouting for my team in 'enemy territory' till the end and even shouting for the players as they left the stadium. I can see you mentally giving up on the game a bit and being a bit less involved when its a really demoralising one, especially on TV and the radio, but leaving the stadium and stuff.. well.. I'll just never get it. Its not just a Dolphin thing either, it seems to happen to every team.

So yeh, I could agree more with Saban, as usual.

(Rest of the article is great also, even if you don't agree with this stuff, check it out ).
    The wife and I flew out to that game. Boy did that suck(Thank god for wine country). We have season tix and never leave before 0:00 cheering all the way. The thing that really pisses me off is when our fans boo our team for something. No excuse for that, I don't care what the circumstance.
    17-0
    J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm sorry....but if the Fins are down 24 points late in the 4th quarter, odds are, I'm outta there. And you CAN'T tell me I'm any less of a fan than anyone else...I've been giving my heart and soul to this team (and large amounts of money for that matter) for the greater part of last 23 years (I got into football at around 11 years old). I would never leave a tight ballgame in which we had a legit chance of coming back...But a game in which we're getting blown out??? I'm gone.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Sec 145 Row 20 Seats5,6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    daytona beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead
    But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win. Saban is forgetting who exactly is paying who, here.
    Tell that to the KC fans. I'm sure a W or two could be contributed to their help.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miamirick
    I'm sorry....but if the Fins are down 24 points late in the 4th quarter, odds are, I'm outta there. And you CAN'T tell me I'm any less of a fan than anyone else...I've been giving my heart and soul to this team (and large amounts of money for that matter) for the greater part of last 23 years (I got into football at around 11 years old). I would never leave a tight ballgame in which we had a legit chance of coming back...But a game in which we're getting blown out??? I'm gone.
    Exactly. Nobody should be getting down on you for that kind of thing. Instead, the team is really to blame. If the team is playing so poorly that getting out of the game a little early and trying to beat the traffic becomes more important to fans than watching every second of the game...that's on the team, not the fan who paid the money.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miamirick
    How could you be giving your heart and soul to a team but at the same time leave when times get rough? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
    Quote Quote