Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Had It Better: Our Parents or Us?

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Who Had It Better: Our Parents or Us?

Much adieu was made this week about the U.S. population crossing the 300 million mark on Tuesday, Oct. 17. The latest report from the U.S. Census Bureau sparked a flood of news articles on the population debate and not a few discussions on how our present standard of living has changed over the years.

One well-known publication made this statement in response to the census report: "[T]he typical family is doing a whole lot better than their grandparents were in 1967, the year the population first surpassed 200 million." This statement was made in a Forbes.com article which appeared recently on Internet news wires around the country. The article went on to tout the incredible level of economic prosperity our generation enjoys compared to the generation 40 years prior. It was entitled "The Average American: 1967 and Today" and was written to convince today's younger generation that they've never had it so good and should stop their grumbling and be happy about their economic lot. Problem was, the article was extremely superficial and just barely scratched the surface of all the major economic influences that determine whether our current standard of living is higher than that of our parents' and grandparents' generation. In other words, it was a propaganda piece in the truest sense.

The Forbes article recognized that there is currently a high level of dissatisfaction among Americans of all ages over their economic lot, principally those in the 25-35 year-old category. As one example, a recent poll found that 22% of U.S. respondents said they had little or nothing left over at the end of the month after paying their bills. Another poll in Parade Magazine found that 48% of Americans believe they're worse off than their parents were (a survey cited in the Forbes article). Also, a study by the GFK-Roper group revealed that 66% of Americans said that their personal situation in the "golden years" of 1950-1980 was better than it is today.

There is a general feeling among countless Americans today that our economic plight is a perilous one compared to that of previous generations. Indeed, as evidenced by the explosive growth in the psychic and fortune telling industry, a growing percentage of Americans are worried about what the future holds for them, especially as it pertains to their financial condition.

So along come our friends at Forbes to assure us that our take on our economic plight compared to that of our parents' is wrong - things aren't nearly as bad as they seem! After reading one blanket generalization after another I was left with a feeling that my intelligence had just been insulted by the folks at Forbes. Let me share with you some of the more outrageous assertions made in this article.

Forbes starts by noting that "Mr. And Mrs. Median's" annual income today is $46,326, which is 32% higher than that of 40 years ago "even when adjusted for inflation." The article also points out that average American household worth is $465,970, or 83% higher compared to 1965.

Right here is where the Forbes article made its first error. The assumption is that the average American is a homeowner. In fact, most Americans do not own their own homes in the true sense of the word. They either rent, or in the case of those with houses of their own, they have a long-term mortgage. Until the mortgage is paid off they can't truly claim ownership. Even if the value of their home has increased relative from when they first bought it, they don't realize a profit until they actually sell. Then there is the tendency for mortgage owners to take out loans against their mortgage, thereby going deeper into debt. This is an illusory measure of wealth since the money isn't truly theirs.

But along with home ownership comes greater financial responsibility. Forbes doesn't mention that property tax rates have increased manifold over the last 40 years. In some parts of the country, notably along the coast of the Southeastern U.S., property tax rates have risen in excess of 100% in just the last 3-4 years alone! This also doesn't take into account higher property insurance rates in light of extreme weather trends in recent years.

Forbes also talks about cheaper airline travel being one of the hallmarks of our generation compared to 40 years ago. I would disagree with this. If one factors into the equation the opportunity costs of having to wait those extra hours before actually boarding the plane (for baggage, security checks, etc.) not to mention the increase in destination times due to the decrease in direct flights, we're paying more for airline travel than our parents did, as well.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...htm&frame=true
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, In MY parents' time, the world was a lot better......compared to now.........before I was born....there were so mant good things.....perfect season, no violence, basically, the exact opposite of todays world.:wink:
    UCF GO KNIGHTS!!!!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Giants GM

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Alabama
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Considering my Dad has about 10-12 siblings and a rough childhood, id say We have it better.
    Made by YM305

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    live it up have no worries

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rose Garden/Safeco Field/Reser Stadium
    Thanks / No Thanks
    did my mom or dad post on fh?

nough said

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Dade County Goonz

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Money Is A Major Issue (M.I.A.M.I)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by culpepper2chambers

nough said
    great point

We're still Miami.
    5 NCAA National Championships
    Winningest Football Program 1983-2006
    22 1st Round Drafts Picks this Decade
    117 Division 1 Universities, only one known as The U
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    get your chief on...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northeastern NC
    Thanks / No Thanks

nough said

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    TX transplanted from FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

nough said
    :lurking:
    Is that you, Junior?
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Chairman of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderdale Lakes, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

nough said

Sig by feelthepain

"...not succumb, but over come...."

-Alonzo Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by KiNG
    Zo is a true warrior; he has his ring so to him, he's retiring on top as long as he knows he always gave it his 110% effort.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    2004 1-AA National Champs

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Drum, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My dads 78... aparently he had to walk uphill to school for 500 miles in 5 feet of snow without shoes or pants...

I think I have it better
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    I love Mindwarp

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Akron, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan01
    Well, In MY parents' time, the world was a lot better......compared to now.........before I was born....there were so mant good things.....perfect season, no violence, basically, the exact opposite of todays world.:wink:
    I hope you aren't that naive. Seriously.

And if the world was like that before you were born, perhaps you caused everything to go *** backwards. Maybe when you pass away we'll have another perfect season. Who wants to test the theory out right now?
    Quote Quote