Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Just wanted to share

1. -1
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Just wanted to share

SAQQARA, Egypt - The arrest of tomb robbers led archaeologists to the graves of three royal dentists, protected by a curse and hidden in the desert sands for thousands of years in the shadow of Egypt's most ancient pyramid, officials announced Sunday.
    The thieves launched their own dig one summer night two months ago but were apprehended, Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told reporters.
    That led archaeologists to the three tombs, one of which included an inscription warning that anyone who violated the sanctity of the grave would be eaten by a crocodile and a snake, Hawass said.
    A towering, painted profile of the chief dentist stares down at passers-by from the wall opposite the inscription.
    The tombs date back more than 4,000 years to the 5th Dynasty and were meant to honor a chief dentist and two others who treated the pharaohs and their families, Hawass said.
    Their location near the Step Pyramid of King Djoser — believed to be Egypt's oldest pyramid — indicate the respect accorded dentists by Egypt's ancient kings, who "cared about the treatment of their teeth," Hawass said.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061023/...gypt_new_tombs

Just wanted to share this guys. I was right there in Saqqara when the excavation work was going on. I was no more than 100 feet from where archeologists were working.

Just thought it to be pretty neat...being there less than 2 weeks ago and then seeing this story.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -Winston Churchill

All things being equal, when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wonder what the ancient Egyptian translation of "that's not pain, it's just pressure", is?
    - "What do we mean by the defeat of the enemy? Simply the destruction of his forces, whether by death, injury, or any other means -- either completely or enough to make him stop fighting. . . . ."-Carl von Clausewitz-
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinPhan1227
    I wonder what the ancient Egyptian translation of "that's not pain, it's just pressure", is?
    Go to this website and you can find out!

http://www.quizland.com/hiero.htm
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    just a little cattywampus

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    cool article... thanks for the info. the pyramids are somewhere i would like to visit. always interesting to read about the Valley of the Pharoahs (isnt that what they call it?).
    (William H. Bonney, aka Billy the Kid): If a man has 3 or 4 pals, well, then he's got himself a tribe. And there ain't nothing stronger than that.

Rest In Peace Scott Knight, 1968-2007... Pals.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonPhan
    cool article... thanks for the info. the pyramids are somewhere i would like to visit. always interesting to read about the Valley of the Pharoahs (isnt that what they call it?).
    Actually it's Valley of the Kings, which is in Luxor. Don't know if you care to know, but when I was in Egypt my trip consisted of:

3 nights in Cairo: The Egyptian National Museum, The Pyramids of Giza, The Museum in Memphis and the Step Pyramid of Zoser in Saqqara.
    1 day in Alexandria: The Alexandria Museum, The Catacombs, Pompey's Pillar and the Roman Ampitheater. overnight train to Aswan.
    1 day in Aswan; The Unfinished Oblisque, The Temple of Philae, Aswan High Damn, depart on riverboat overnight
    Morning in Kom Obo; The Temple of Sorbek, depart on riverboat
    Afternoon in Edfu: Temple of Horis, depart on riverboat overnight
    1 Day in Luxor; Statues of Memmon, Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, the Temple of Queen Hapchetsupt, The Temple of Karnak (feature in the Spy Who Loved Me, Death on the Nile) and the Temple of Luxor.
    3 days in Hurghada, resort on the Red Sea...free time
    travel to Cairo for transfer to airport.

If you're interested, let me know. I can put you in direct contact with the agency that did my package...12 days, 11 nights for $645 per person...plus airfare and a few other amenities. But I got the "BIG package". Egypt is VERY cheap. If you're daring or have the skills, you can book your own trip via the internet and save agency fees in doing so.

I'd recommend it to anyone if you ever had the chance.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    just a little cattywampus

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A_USA_DS
    Actually it's Valley of the Kings, which is in Luxor. Don't know if you care to know, but when I was in Egypt my trip consisted of:

3 nights in Cairo: The Egyptian National Museum, The Pyramids of Giza, The Museum in Memphis and the Step Pyramid of Zoser in Saqqara.
    1 day in Alexandria: The Alexandria Museum, The Catacombs, Pompey's Pillar and the Roman Ampitheater. overnight train to Aswan.
    1 day in Aswan; The Unfinished Oblisque, The Temple of Philae, Aswan High Damn, depart on riverboat overnight
    Morning in Kom Obo; The Temple of Sorbek, depart on riverboat
    Afternoon in Edfu: Temple of Horis, depart on riverboat overnight
    1 Day in Luxor; Statues of Memmon, Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, the Temple of Queen Hapchetsupt, The Temple of Karnak (feature in the Spy Who Loved Me, Death on the Nile) and the Temple of Luxor.
    3 days in Hurghada, resort on the Red Sea...free time
    travel to Cairo for transfer to airport.

If you're interested, let me know. I can put you in direct contact with the agency that did my package...12 days, 11 nights for $645 per person...plus airfare and a few other amenities. But I got the "BIG package". Egypt is VERY cheap. If you're daring or have the skills, you can book your own trip via the internet and save agency fees in doing so.

I'd recommend it to anyone if you ever had the chance.

wow. just wow... mustve been an incredible journey. i cant wait til my children (ages 6, 3, and 7 months) are old enough for my wife and i to go and take them (or leave them behind with their grandparents with no guilt).
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My brother went to see the big pyramids in Giza,,,,I guess they are called the Pyramids of Cheops? I hope to get there some day.
    Quote Quote