Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What has Saban really done?

1. -1
    Phinfan since 1982

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks

What has Saban really done?

I know he started off with a strapped salary cap and we all should have known this before we reserved our superbowl seats. We know that we have some high priced veterans on the team that take a big portion of the salary cap.

1) The question is, how much has Saban contributed to fixing these problems?

2) What specifically has he actually done?

The word on the street and around the forum is that he is working towards fixing these problems. If that is true, despite our current sucky-ness, isn't fixing our cap situation about the best we can hope for at this point?
    "Fiction can be fun, but I find the reference section a bit more enlightening." Ace Ventura
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Finheaven QB

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The only thing that really sticks out to me is that we seem to be heading to a better cap situation. Other than that, Saban doesn't really own any bragging rights yet.

I think Saban made the mistake in his first season to think that he could just plug some holes and we'd be a playoff contender. And, in his defense, I can see how he might have thought that initially. We were one year removed from a 10-6 season with basically the same personnel.
    After the mediocre success at the end of last season, Saban probably fell in the same trap the fans did: thinking the Dolphins were better than they actually are. This years draft was by no means good and free agency turned out to be pretty bad. We went backward on the offensive line and our secondary, which was already somewhat of a liability, was also weakened.

I'm not ready to throw Saban to the wolves just yet. But I'm not anxious to sling compliments at him either. This team has more "Saban" players on it now that it does "Wanny" players, yet people still blame this teams problems on Wannstedt and Spielman. IMO, with the way free agency is, it doesn't take that long to purge a roster and rebuild. There are numerous cases to back this up. Look how quickly bad teams can be playoff caliber these days. People also blame some past trades (of our draft picks) for hurting us. And there is validity to that. But, one, it hasn't hurt us to the degree of making us a 1-6 team at this point. AND Saban has traded a few picks himself that haven't exactly been hits.

Anyway, I wish I could say that it's too early to judge. But it isn't. Saban has done a mediocre job at very best as we stand right now.

SCall13, Jr.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    90 % Saban Players
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Aja!!

What Saban has done, he has screw us up to the bone!! We have so many mercenaries in this team(?) that we could be call the Miami Corsaries or Pirates.

Ps the don't care about the DOLPHINS!! they only care about there paycheck
    Aleta
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    what saban has done is turn the dolphins into the laughing stock of the nfl. almost every personnel decision can be questioned and both drafts can also be questioned. to put it mildly, saban has been awful.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    saban is a great leader he just needs great followers. to a man you ask these guys: are you willing to run thru a wall for nick and to a man...
    Like Nick says: it's not about wins and losses, it's about the plan!
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Phantom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zonk4ever
    saban is a great leader he just needs great followers. to a man you ask these guys: are you willing to run thru a wall for nick and to a man...
    Like Nick says: it's not about wins and losses, it's about the plan!
    Maybe he should stop teaching them to run through walls and start teaching them football, because they "Don't Get It".
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    U made the pudding but forgot the proof.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The worst thing that could have happened to Saban was those six straight wins last year. It set up unreal expectations from the fans, front office and players. He was feeling the heat this offseason and it was unwarranted since this team was nowhere near as good as people thought. EVERYBODY is guilty of believing the hype (just look at how many sports writers had us pegged to go to the dance this year).

Having said that our weaknesses last year are still our weaknesses this year. The lack of any improvement in the secondary and Offensive line play can be laid squarely on his shoulders. We brought in a platoon of other teams cast offs to plug the secondary only to find out that we are not actually smarter than the other teams coaching staff and those players were cast off for a reason.

It is arguable that we have actually downgraded at the QB position which was inconceivable last season... Keep in mind that yes Drew Brees is playing the hell out of the position in New Orleans and Saban did try his best to land him before settling for Culpepper but close is only good in horseshoes and hand grenades. There were some bad personnel decisions (yes the cap dictated some) but in the end I dont think anyone can argue that this coaching staff is getting the most out of these players. I worry most about the evaluation of talent on this staff... It was a very poor draft last year and this year we appear to have a lock on a top 5 pick... Those are the kinds of picks that are supposed to turn franchises around... Stay tuned.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    From the land of legends

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Somerset, England
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He has brought us two decent QB's, when we had none!
    Dolphins Til I Die

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedolphin54
    He has brought us two decent QB's, when we had none!
    Keyword there is decent. Gus was "decent", he did a good job managing the game for them late in the season. I don't think it would have hurt to bring him back as the starter for one more year. As far as Duante goes, I personally don't think he'll ever be the MVP candidate he was 2yrs ago.
    Likes: Miami Dolphins. Dislikes: Buffalo Bills, NY Jets, New England Patriots for as long as I live.
    Quote Quote