Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dutch government seeks to ban full-length veils

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dutch government seeks to ban full-length veils

Cabinet cites security grounds; Netherlands has one million Muslims.

This should be interesting to see what happens???

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15766750/
    Time To Ski

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    you are the nail

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    on shadowfax
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i'd like to see what happens in the US to a group of guys walking around with ski masks

besides, it demeans women. where do the women's groups stand on this? probably a conflict in the liberal mind of feminism and multiculturalism, though i think muliculturalism supercedes all
    special thanks to in flames for the avatar and sig

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What if someone wants to wear veils? Last time I checked wearing a ski mask isnt illegal. Wearing it into a bank would be but wearing one isnt.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    you are the nail

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    on shadowfax
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfansince72
    What if someone wants to wear veils? Last time I checked wearing a ski mask isnt illegal. Wearing it into a bank would be but wearing one isnt.
    i dont think it would matter the business.

the security argument is secondary to me, though
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    The Resident Hitman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Back when I was a youngster, me and some friends of mine were stupid enough to drive around wearing ski masks. We would turn our head slowly and stare at passing by vehichles to scare them, and it was pretty funny back then. That is, untill we were ambushed by about 4 cops drawing their weapons on us when we pulled up to the YMCA.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This may mark a serious turn in Dutch society. When I was there I spent an afternoon with a family. The father recounted a story that he was once arrested and placed in handcuffs because he stated that benefits should go to the Dutch before the foreign born.

Maybe the murder of that movie producer had an effect.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    El rey de la Pachacha

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynard
    i'd like to see what happens in the US to a group of guys walking around with ski masks

besides, it demeans women. where do the women's groups stand on this? probably a conflict in the liberal mind of feminism and multiculturalism, though i think muliculturalism supercedes all
    What if anyone forbade christians from wearing a cross anywhere? would you still be so angry at multiculturalism... this is goverment entering private life, whatever our ideals of what womanhood should or should not be, we should always respect private life. Easy as that.

(and yeah, the murder of that guy that was going for the prime ministry, or presidency, of Netherlands is probably sparkling all this things)

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    OK, over here in Afghanistan, the burqa is very commonly worn, but more and more women in the cities are switching to veils rather than the burqa, but out in the rural areas, you'll still see many women wearing the traditional face covering.

Now, myself personally I'm split on the issue of the burqa. In the Koran, there is a passage that reads words to the effect that a woman shall dress conservatively and not flaunt her looks nor be promiscuous....something to that meaning. (sorry guys, can't even quote the Bible let alone the Koran). Now, for women who wear the burqa for their OWN PERSONAL BELIEFS and do so because it is their choice, I personally have no problem with this whatsoever. It's the wives who are treated so subordinately who as young women were forced to wear it and whose husband that was chosen for them continues this enforcement that I have the problem with. But then again, we're talking about the religion and culture of another people.

Is the security risk in The Netherlands so high that banning the religious practice and customs of muslims really so necessary? Is this not by definition...fascism?

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -Winston Churchill

All things being equal, when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A_USA_DS
    OK, over here in Afghanistan, the burqa is very commonly worn, but more and more women in the cities are switching to veils rather than the burqa, but out in the rural areas, you'll still see many women wearing the traditional face covering.

Now, myself personally I'm split on the issue of the burqa. In the Koran, there is a passage that reads words to the effect that a woman shall dress conservatively and not flaunt her looks nor be promiscuous....something to that meaning. (sorry guys, can't even quote the Bible let alone the Koran). Now, for women who wear the burqa for their OWN PERSONAL BELIEFS and do so because it is their choice, I personally have no problem with this whatsoever. It's the wives who are treated so subordinately who as young women were forced to wear it and whose husband that was chosen for them continues this enforcement that I have the problem with. But then again, we're talking about the religion and culture of another people.

Is the security risk in The Netherlands so high that banning the religious practice and customs of muslims really so necessary? Is this not by definition...fascism?
    Essentially. But hey theyre Muslims, they arent human beings right? Theres so much Anti Muslim hatred in the World right now that a lot of people do not view them as Humans.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    wiley veteran bad spelur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    indian river country
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Essentially. But hey theyre Muslims, they arent human beings right? Theres so much Anti Muslim hatred in the World right now that a lot of people do not view them as Humans.
    I don't buy that...SOME folks are smart enough to ignore political correctness and profile threats. Besides... it wasn't Christians Jews Wiccans or Buddists that demand death to infidels...reap what you sow.
    18-1 Choke of the Century

Click on VIP badge to Join
    Quote Quote