Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: UN troops face child abuse claims

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks

UN troops face child abuse claims

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6195830.stm

Children have been subjected to rape and prostitution by United Nations peacekeepers in Haiti and Liberia, a BBC investigation has found.

Girls have told of regular encounters with soldiers where sex is demanded in return for food or money.

A senior official with the organisation has accepted the claims are credible.

The UN has faced several scandals involving its troops in recent years, including a DR Congo paedophile ring and prostitute trafficking in Kosovo.

Under UN regulations, military personnel cannot be prosecuted in the country where they are serving, and it is up to the courts in their home countries to prosecute crimes committed.

The UN said it had firm knowledge of only two concrete examples of sex offenders being sent to jail, although it believed there could be others it did not know about.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let's hear it for the Piece Keepers!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Is there any more proof that Kofi Annan is a POS that needs to go? He's pledging 'zero tolerance', this is assuming a family member of his isn't involved. There should be firing squads for the people involved in this.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    El rey de la Pachacha

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So, when US soldiers do it it is just a group of rotten apples... when UN soldiers do it, it shows how the whole UN is corrupted.

Talk about double standards.

(I'm making a point here, not defending what the UN soldiers did, but if you are going to act in a way towards the members of your military who are doing things in a croocked way, you better be ready to treat everyone else in the same way)

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quelonio
    So, when US soldiers do it it is just a group of rotten apples... when UN soldiers do it, it shows how the whole UN is corrupted.

(I'm making a point here, not defending what the UN soldiers did, but if you are going to act in a way towards the members of your military who are doing things in a croocked way, you better be ready to treat everyone else in the same way)
    But here the corruption seems to be organized and tolerated by the UN. In the military when this type of behavior is found out people go to jail. The UN people that do this crap hide behind UN instituted laws and walk away scott free for the most part. People in the military caught raping or murdering spend the rest of their lives making small rocks out of big rocks.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks

Not for me. I had the same reaction when the US soldiers raped the young girl and killed her family. Their individual acts ruin the otherwise good reputation of all the other soldiers who do their duty with integrity and pride.

The UN on the other hand seems to have a long history of rape, especially in Africa. There seems to be an inherent flaw in the UN's system that doesn't strongly enough discourage the temptation to rape
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I thought that the UN is supposed to uphold such lofty ideals.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks

This has nothing to do with any perceived double standards regarding those who commit these crimes.

They may be military men but they are also humanitarian workers," Sarah Martin told the BBC.

"To prey upon the very populations that you are sent to protect is one of the worst forms of violation and betrayal that there is."
    This is about the UN's "culture of silence" regarding the crimes. These individuals represent the UN. The UN should know more than just 2 sex offenders have ever sent to jail and not "there could be others it did not know about".

Also, a side note on your "double standard". What if the US did not prosecute our "bad apples", what would be the world's reaction? The only double standard that I could see anyone applying, is where has the international outrage concerning the UN troops actions been? Perhaps I've just missed the front page outrage and other investigations besides this from the BBC over the years concerning the matter.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Soldiers are soldiers. I don't care who they work for. The job itself tends to attract a certain minority that feels the power of their position and the weight of their gun and decides to use them to carry out whatever fancies they have going on in their heads.

The job also attracts genuine patriots and idealists who want nothing more than to uphold justice.

It's like the priesthood.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon
    This has nothing to do with any perceived double standards regarding those who commit these crimes.

This is about the UN's "culture of silence" regarding the crimes. These individuals represent the UN. The UN should know more than just 2 sex offenders have ever sent to jail and not "there could be others it did not know about".

Also, a side note on your "double standard". What if the US did not prosecute our "bad apples", what would be the world's reaction? The only double standard that I could see anyone applying, is where has the international outrage concerning the UN troops actions been? Perhaps I've just missed the front page outrage and other investigations besides this from the BBC over the years concerning the matter.
    It's because, in the end, Costas Mandylor can get pinched for heroin possession (not really, sorry Costas), but nobody really cares.

But when Britney Spears lets the hoo-hoo out for some air, whoa boy we're all over it.

I think what the article is pointing out here is that the soldiers have to be tried by their home country. The UN is full of soldiers from small countries around the world. If those countries take a blind eye toward this kind of thing, even more than the US does, then that reflects poorly upon that country.

But in the end, who really cares about Costas Mandylor?
    Quote Quote