Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free Agency: Fool's Gold

1. -1
    tonto_phin

Free Agency: Fool's Gold

Just look at the Washington Redskins, Pittsburg Steelers and the New England Patriots for the lessons

with all the cap room teams are going to have next year, the smart money is going to go after the lesser knowns and not overpay

remember Damien Woody?, we dodged a bullet there. there will be quite a few Woody's out there

we need to find Andre Goodman's equivalent at say G and LB

perhaps we could snag a RFA too, one who is tendered too low and upgrades us somewhere
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    *Drunk*

So, disclaimer........FAs are for gap-filling.

It all depends on position.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think you can still sign a player who can make a big impact in FA, remember when the Dolphins signed Keith Jackson? He played great for us and I think Tony Gonzalez would make a huge difference in the red zone. Deon Sanders helped the 49ers and Cowboys win some championships, Wilbur Marshall with the Redskins, Charles Haley with the Cowboys. To say you can only find reserve players and role players is a ridiculous statement to make.
    If you use your Mind, Body and Spirit together, you can accomplish anything. If you believe it, you can achieve it!
    Criss Angel
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Memphis
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah I agree that we shouldn't break the bank for any free agent unless he is very young and reguarded by everyone as an elite player. Considering those two things rarely ever come in the form of a free agent, I don't think we have to worry about that. We should use free agency to fill a need or two here and there and to add depth.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    tonto_phin
    To say you can only find reserve players and role players is a ridiculous statement to make.
    that's not what I said

my point was that smart buyers will be staying away from the big tickets

supply and demand, look into it
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Heheheheheheheh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i beleive the redskins buys there team in free agency...

and looking at the pats, steelers...they have had some pretty good drafts in the past and built there team through the draft..which is what i want us to do..but if we have a shot at a Briggs, Thomas, Clements, Samuel type i think we should give it a shot to sign them
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PHANTASTIC 13
    I think you can still sign a player who can make a big impact in FA, remember when the Dolphins signed Keith Jackson? He played great for us and I think Tony Gonzalez would make a huge difference in the red zone. Deon Sanders helped the 49ers and Cowboys win some championships, Wilbur Marshall with the Redskins, Charles Haley with the Cowboys. To say you can only find reserve players and role players is a ridiculous statement to make.
    Hmmm... Brees seems to be helping the Saints, too.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    tonto_phin
    nobody overpaid for Brees because he was injured, if he hadn't been injured he would have never been an FA

apples and oranges

Brees is a warrior and is the exception while the rule is the mercenary who played great in antcipation of a big payday

I keep trying to set expectations to a realistic level, but the instant gratification crowd stays in denial
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonto_phin
    nobody overpaid for Brees because he was injured, if he hadn't been injured he would have never been an FA

apples and oranges

Brees is a warrior and is the exception while the rule is the mercenary who played great in antcipation of a big payday

I keep trying to set expectations to a realistic level, but the instant gratification crowd stays in denial
    hard to deal with isn't it? NOBODY acknowledges that teams don't turn around on a dime. They pull out examples like lovie (who inherted a team that had sucked for a decade). We've hit rock bottom, and are on our upswing, but it takes TIME. We were contenders, we aren't anymore. It takes ONE man getting adequate time to build a good corp of players. Saban is that man, but he needs more than 2-3 years. It'll take 5-6.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It won't take 5-6 years if you know what you're doing. I feel Saban is the man for the coaching job but his GM skills are lacking. Sean Payton brought in 27, or was it 37, new players, had a great draft and suddenly the worst team in the NFL is now looking at a first round bye in one season. Not something you would expect, but Saban doesn't have 5-6 years. I'd give him another year or two before I ask him to hand back the GM duties.
    Quote Quote