Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calif Bill Would Ban Spanking Young Children

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks

Calif Bill Would Ban Spanking Young Children

[Mercury News] The state Legislature is about to weigh in on a question that stirs impassioned debate among moms and dads: Should parents spank their children?

Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, D-Mountain View, wants to outlaw spanking children up to 3 years old. If she succeeds, California would become the first state in the nation to explicitly ban parents from smacking their kids.

Making a swat on the behind a misdemeanor might seem a bit much for some -- and the chances of the idea becoming law appear slim, at best -- but Lieber begs to differ.

“I think it's pretty hard to argue you need to beat a child 3 years old or younger,'' Lieber said. "Is it OK to whip a 1-year-old or a 6-month-old or a newborn?''

The bill, which is still being drafted, will be written broadly, she added, prohibiting ``any striking of a child, any corporal punishment, smacking, hitting, punching, any of that.'' Lieber said it would be a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail or a fine up to $1,000, although a legal expert advising her on the proposal said first-time offenders would probably only have to attend parenting classes.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Help save our Reefs ~ www.ReefCheck.org

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Geeeeez!

This country's system is becoming such a joke.
    Is this Bill being sponsored by Oprah?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seriously now

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Stop the madness. The government wants to come into the home and say how we should raise our children. That could only be the beginning should this type of crap not be snuffed out early. What's next, you can only bang your wife twice a week? I'm not saying spanking a three year old is good parenting, but the government need not go there.

Man, stuff like this really pisses me off.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Chicago Bears GM

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Personally I dont believe in spanking. It's sending the message that when your child does something wrong you physically abuse them. Ive never been spanked in my life and I turned out fine behavior wise, taking toys away or talking to your children is a better teacher than hitting them.

Do you want your kids not doing things because they fear you will hit them or because they know its wrong?

That said I still dont think it should be illegal
    * = Patsterisk
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seriously now

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex44 View Post
    Personally I dont believe in spanking. It's sending the message that when your child does something wrong you physically abuse them. Ive never been spanked in my life and I turned out fine behavior wise, taking toys away or talking to your children is a better teacher than hitting them.

Do you want your kids not doing things because they fear you will hit them or because they know its wrong?

Do you really think such a law will improve the fabric of America? It will do nothing substantive except give government the impetus to further intrude into American homes. The message must be sent loud and clear to politicians to stay out of the home.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Chicago Bears GM

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinman1 View Post
    Do you really think such a law will improve the fabric of America? It will do nothing substantive except give government the impetus to further intrude into American homes. The message must be sent loud and clear to politicians to stay out of the home.
    Well I did say it shouldnt be illegal.

Its up to a parent to decide the right way to parent, because its also based on your beliefs. To me this becoming a law would be just as bad as a law saying that you had to spank your kids.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seriously now

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well I did say it shouldnt be illegal.

Its up to a parent to decide the right way to parent, because its also based on your beliefs. To me this becoming a law would be just as bad as a law saying that you had to spank your kids.
    You're right, I misread your post. My bad.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Mad Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinman1 View Post
    Agree 100%
    Free Tibet

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Help save our Reefs ~ www.ReefCheck.org

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa
    Thanks / No Thanks

There are times when spanking is needed.
    I wasnt' spanked much as a kid but it made enough of an impression for me to know that there are consequences to doing wrong.

As kids get older and their mental capacities are greater you can debate with them more and take away certain things as a consequence but there are times when spanking is needed for a kid.

By the way I in no way feel damaged or in no way feel I was "physically abused".

Big difference between a spanking and "physical abuse" IMO.

Today's times are really messed up and they wonder why kids have such a hard time these days and why so many get lost. You can't even reprimand them without someone sticking their nose in your families business. It's ridiculous.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I cant see the benefit of spanking a kid who is 3 years old or younger.

Quote Quote