Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: too much money

1. -11
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I knew Id get crap for saying ZT should take a pay cut. Its like I just broke the Dolphin Fan 1st Commandment.
    But here's proof my dillusionites.
    SD let Junior Seau go after he turned 34 and had 12 straight pro-bowls. That team was awful at the time and the front office in SD was hated for it. But look where it got them, and look where it got the Miami Dolphins who picked up the guy. The two teams went in opposite directions cus one was looking toward the future, and another was looking at the past. Ill let you figure out who was who. ZT is playing well and Im not advocating him being cut by any means. But at age 34, I think a 3 million dollar pay cut to around 4 million would be a necessary thing to do.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Left So Fla, never the Fins...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cigar View Post
    Name an alternative? Are you kidding me?
    Hmm, let me think...........
    How bout ANYONE OFF THE STREET.
    Kickers are a dime a dozen. Sure we wont have the best kicker, but Mare has been playing as bad as Billy Cundiff. Id rather have some scrub and pay his salary to an every down player or FA. Naming an alternative is like saying,
    "Where are we gonna find a replacement for Eddie Jackson? HELP!! Our secondary is in trouble if we cant find a guy that can play our 5th cornerback."
    Take your pick; it doesn't really matter.
    This is an idiotic post...Kickers are NOT a dime a dozen. Mare is still the 4th or 5th best kicker of all time (accuracy-wise). If you base your statement off of last year, yeah...he was overpaid for his value, but that is not the way the real world works. Most players get paid for their overall body of work, not just the last year or two...so who do you really suggest ?? Wes Welker ???
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rehoboth Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Top dollar

Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor ($9.47 million) and kicker Olindo Mare ($2.32 million) were the NFL's highest-paid players at their respective positions in 2006. Zach Thomas ($7.29 million) ranked second among linebackers behind Baltimore's Ray Lewis ($8.43 million).

This is outrageous. Olindo Mare needs to take a significant pay cut, or get cut. Not even close to being an elite kicker anymore, let alone the best in the league. He is good at touchbacks, but much of that could be attributed to the soft balls he is kicking in the warmer weather. This is an extremely poor use of salary cap space.

Jason Taylor is the defensive player of the year, so he can have his money. I have a small issue with having a 34 year old ILB making that much money though. History has proven that aging veterans who get paid too much are bound to hurt you eventually. Thomas needs to take a few million off that #.
    That's what restructuring every year after year will help do. All it does is push more $$$ into the future and sooner or later ya gotta pay up.
    DD..................the #1 Delaware Dolfan !!!

Doing things you don't have to do today will help to determine where you'll be tomorrow when you can't do anything about it!
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Just Win, Baby

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Dolphins Homer
    Top dollar

Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor ($9.47 million) and kicker Olindo Mare ($2.32 million) were the NFL's highest-paid players at their respective positions in 2006. Zach Thomas ($7.29 million) ranked second among linebackers behind Baltimore's Ray Lewis ($8.43 million).

This is outrageous. Olindo Mare needs to take a significant pay cut, or get cut. Not even close to being an elite kicker anymore, let alone the best in the league. He is good at touchbacks, but much of that could be attributed to the soft balls he is kicking in the warmer weather. This is an extremely poor use of salary cap space.

Jason Taylor is the defensive player of the year, so he can have his money. I have a small issue with having a 34 year old ILB making that much money though. History has proven that aging veterans who get paid too much are bound to hurt you eventually. Thomas needs to take a few million off that #.
    zach and jt always restructure..... after every season..... so keep you pants on
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Westchester, Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott 1 View Post
    When you can actually name an alternative to mare I think everyone would be happy to listen, but all the cut Mare threads are getting old. Noone ever has a name. What do want to do draft Crosby with our second round pick?
    I don't. Zach and Jason aren't just perennial pro bowlers, they're sure to be hall of famers; their checks are going to be huge.
    You want a name? TD. Let the freagin mascot kick field goals for christ sake.

We can't afford Mare and he didn't earn his paycheck. If you haven't noticed(Vanderjagt SP?) kickers are streaky bunch and Mare is in the midst of a downward spiral.

Hey man, he was great for a while. What else can you ask for? What more do you expect? Cut his contract or him. He will be remembered and he will be missed. So be it.
    Quote Quote