Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Culpeppers cap hit if cut

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    des moines IA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Culpeppers cap hit if cut

Am I correct that if Culpepper doesn't come back from the knee or gets cut we take a negative 2.9 mil cap hit. I figured the ammoritized bonus (1.4) which is guaranteed times years left on contract(7) (1.4*7=9.8 in dead cap)and subtracted that from their cap hit(6.9)(6.9-9.8=-2.9). Is this correct.

If it is then it would seem we are semi commited to him for the next 2 yrs like it or not. Taking a neg. cap hit then adding the replacments salary just doesn't seem logical for a team as cap strapped as we are.

If these numbers are true I hope it isn't I sign of Signings from Mueller to come. Yeah Saban made the move to get him but I assume Meuller was handling the actual detailed contract info. yeah we got by for a mil last year but now are sitting with a lofty contract and no useful outs. Just seems he could have worked out something closer to Brees's which basically gave NO an easy out option after year 1.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    I'm your huckleberry

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't know if that's right or not, but I agree with you that we are stuck with Culpepper for a couple of years. Lemon seems almost sure to stay, and Harrington seems like a goner right now. I anticipate drafting a QB in the later rounds, as is Mueller's tendency

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1. Cleo Lemon
    2. Drew Stanton/Trent Edwards
    3.Marcus Vick
    If one of these guys works out, great! If not none of them cost very much and we will have freed ourselves of Saban's stupidity and if we have to or the opportunity presents itself, we can pursue another QB next year.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You want to keep Marcus Vick as a 3rd string?
    :nesucks: :billsbite

10/22/06: Green Bay Packers @ Miami Dolphins
    *First Dolphins Game*

Sup
    porter For Ricky in 2007
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area, California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachFins View Post
    You want to keep Marcus Vick as a 3rd string?
    Rather keep him as a 5th WR/4th QB

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adamcal187 View Post
    Am I correct that if Culpepper doesn't come back from the knee or gets cut we take a negative 2.9 mil cap hit. I figured the ammoritized bonus (1.4) which is guaranteed times years left on contract(7) (1.4*7=9.8 in dead cap)and subtracted that from their cap hit(6.9)(6.9-9.8=-2.9). Is this correct.

If it is then it would seem we are semi commited to him for the next 2 yrs like it or not. Taking a neg. cap hit then adding the replacments salary just doesn't seem logical for a team as cap strapped as we are.

If these numbers are true I hope it isn't I sign of Signings from Mueller to come. Yeah Saban made the move to get him but I assume Meuller was handling the actual detailed contract info. yeah we got by for a mil last year but now are sitting with a lofty contract and no useful outs. Just seems he could have worked out something closer to Brees's which basically gave NO an easy out option after year 1.
    There is $5.6 million that needs to be accounted for toward the cap regarding Culpepper's signing bonus last year and the Dolphins have two options when it comes to the cap if Culpepper gets cut.

1. Take the full $5.6 million toward the cap this year. All of this would be considered dead money, but it would free up an additional $1.3 toward the cap this year bc if Culpepper stays on the roster he counts for $6.9 million ($5.5 million in salary and $1.4 in signing bonus from last year) toward the cap. The advantage of taking the full hit this year is it would free up an additional $4.2 million in cap for the 2008 year.

2. Be charged $1.4 million against the cap this year thus lowering the cap by $5.5 million dollars this year, but Miami would have no choice but to be charged the remaining $4.2 million against the cap in 2008.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As Miami wants to build for the future, I say cut him and take the hit. The success of the Dolphins offense will come on the arm of a young QB from the draft be it this year or next not Duante in my opinion.
    Likes: Miami Dolphins. Dislikes: Buffalo Bills, NY Jets, New England Patriots for as long as I live.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rehoboth Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoFinFan View Post
    There is $5.6 million that needs to be accounted for toward the cap regarding Culpepper's signing bonus last year and the Dolphins have two options when it comes to the cap if Culpepper gets cut.

1. Take the full $5.6 million toward the cap this year. All of this would be considered dead money, but it would free up an additional $1.3 toward the cap this year bc if Culpepper stays on the roster he counts for $6.9 million ($5.5 million in salary and $1.4 in signing bonus from last year) toward the cap. The advantage of taking the full hit this year is it would free up an additional $4.2 million in cap for the 2008 year.

2. Be charged $1.4 million against the cap this year thus lowering the cap by $5.5 million dollars this year, but Miami would have no choice but to be charged the remaining $4.2 million against the cap in 2008.
    Wouldn't that be 4.2 instead of 5.6? The new rule went into effect last year that only allows you to spread out bonus $$ over 4 yrs max regardless the overall length on contract? I believe that's how it is. If that is the case, one year has passed already and with 3 yrs left at 1.4 amortized, that adds up to 4.2. Is that right or is my thinking screwed up?
    DD..................the #1 Delaware Dolfan !!!

Doing things you don't have to do today will help to determine where you'll be tomorrow when you can't do anything about it!
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Ga (via Melb., Fl.)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Boy, if he does get cut. We would have wasted two second round picks on basically nothing! Culpepper and Spielman's AJ Feeley.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    WA State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I can't believe anyone could actually think that Cpep could realistically be cut. It simply isn't happening.
    The beautiful blonde to the left is my new wife. I'm the luckiest man alive as of December 15th, 2007!
    Quote Quote