Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious question about Christianity.

1. -1
    Chicago Bears GM

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

Serious question about Christianity.

This isn't meant to bash or start a huge arguement. I'm just really interested where the idea that marriage is one man and one woman. I was reading the bible ( I don't believe in God but it's always great to know what your argueing about) and these passages struck me as odd. (I know not ALL Christians believe its between one man and woman but most seem to)

Genesis: 29: Passages 23 through 28:

And it came to pass in the evening, that he took Leah his daughter, and brought her to him and
    he went in unto her. And Laban gave unto his daughter Leah, Zilpah his maid for an handmaid.
    And it came to pass, that in the morning it was Leah: and he said to Laban, 'What is this thou
    hast done unto me? did I not serve with thee for Rachel? wherefor then hast thou beguilded me?'
    And Leban said, 'It must not be so done in our country, to give the younger before the firstborn.
    Fulfill her week and we will give thee this also for the service which thou shalt serve with me
    for yet seven other years.' And Jacob did so, and fulfilled her week: and he gave him Rachel his
    daughter to wife also
    Genesis: 30: Passage 4:

And she gave him Bilhah her handmaid to wife: and Jacob went in unto her.
    Genesis: 30: Passage 9:

When Leah saw that she had left bearing, she took Zilpah her maid and gave her Jacob to wife
    Deut: 21: 15

If a man have two wives, one beloved and another hated and they have born him children; both
    the beloved and the hated, and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated.
    So as a serious question that I'm very interested to know the answer to, where does the belief in most Christians of marriage come from? In the bible there are multiple passages with men that have multiple wives. Then later it says 'The law of the Lord is perfect'. That really confused me. Have I not read far enough yet? Thank you for your time.
    * = Patsterisk
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Im no expert, but for your last quote I think Paul said in one of his letters that an elder or leader in the church should have only one wife. That may be why Christians today only believe in marrying one woman.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The New Testament is clear on the one wife issue.

In the Old Testament there are many examples of multiple wives. However, I wouldn't say the examples of polygamy are evidence of license from God.

Deut. 17:14-17 talks about that a King is not to multiply wives. I think this would give a greater example of God's intent for one man one wife. Having that law apply to kings is a big deal since multiple marriages were a big diplomatic tool.

The Deut 21 passage you quoted above I'll do a bit of research on. One commentary I looked up quickly mentioned that it may have to do with a divorce/death situation. They mentioned that a more proper translation would be "has had two wives".

I'll throw that out there, but I haven't done too much research on it.

I thought I'd throw in a serious answer to a serious question and hope that the thread stays that way.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    You could have had free beer, for shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think in the days of the old testament. the deal was that if your wide could not conecieve a child the guy have sex his another woman or something like that. I'm not sure.
    Once Dmac is drafted a Dmac Jersey will spontaneously materialize in the closet of each and every Dolfan...

...and not that replica crap either...
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Coconut Creek
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the original is better than the sequel
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Certified Jesus Freak

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hawaii
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you read much of the Bible, you will soon realize that it is filled with examples of even the “good” guys doing things that God never approved of. You will also discover in the Bible what God’s ideal is for many situations as well as encouragement to model your life after this ideal. In the beginning, before sin, God created Adam and then He gave to Adam his wife, which was Eve (not Eve, Jennifer, and etc.). This was apparently the ideal or God would have given Adam more than one wife. It certainly would have sped up the process to populate the world if He had. In fact, nowhere in the Bible is it recorded that man was to take more than one wife. Never was this even encouraged. But there are several places where it is specifically discouraged. In most cases that I can think of, when the Bible speaks of someone taking more than one wife, the Bible also details problems that went along with that choice. Since I don’t have the time to fully elaborate, here is an article that answers your question in more detail from a Biblical perspective. http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/4074.asp

Anyway, I apologize for taking the easy way out and posting an article rather than developing an answer for you myself. Now that I’m back in school full time, still working nearly full time, and still have the family responsibilities, I just don’t have much time for posting anymore.

Peace.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    you are the nail

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    on shadowfax
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansMojo View Post
    If you read much of the Bible, you will soon realize that it is filled with examples of even the “good” guys doing things that God never approved of. You will also discover in the Bible what God’s ideal is for many situations as well as encouragement to model your life after this ideal. In the beginning, before sin, God created Adam and then He gave to Adam his wife, which was Eve (not Eve, Jennifer, and etc.). This was apparently the ideal or God would have given Adam more than one wife. It certainly would have sped up the process to populate the world if He had. In fact, nowhere in the Bible is it recorded that man was to take more than one wife. Never was this even encouraged. But there are several places where it is specifically discouraged. In most cases that I can think of, when the Bible speaks of someone taking more than one wife, the Bible also details problems that went along with that choice. Since I don’t have the time to fully elaborate, here is an article that answers your question in more detail from a Biblical perspective. http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/4074.asp

Anyway, I apologize for taking the easy way out and posting an article rather than developing an answer for you myself. Now that I’m back in school full time, still working nearly full time, and still have the family responsibilities, I just don’t have much time for posting anymore.

Peace.
    dont think you absence hasnt been missed hansie,
    special thanks to in flames for the avatar and sig

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    El rey de la Pachacha

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansMojo View Post

Peace.
    You are missed... (i love this smilie)

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Certified Jesus Freak

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hawaii
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynard the Hammer View Post
    dont think you absence hasnt been missed hansie,
    Hey Maynard! :hug: Man, I miss hanging out with you guys. :cry: Good to see you have assumed a position of power around here (you being a hammer now and all). it's about time.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Certified Jesus Freak

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hawaii
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quelonio View Post
    You are missed... (i love this smilie)
    Hey Q. Miss you too man. Yeah, that is a good smilie!

Anyway, I'd stay and chat, but my wife is yelling at me to come to bed. Which is a good thing. Hope all is going well!
    Quote Quote