Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Todd McShay of ESPN, puts out his latest mock...

1. -1
    Enter at your own risk...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks / No Thanks

Todd McShay of ESPN, puts out his latest mock...

Im sure if you are in insider on espn.com you can take a look at the entire thing, but on Sports Center they only showed the top ten...I dont remember the entire thing, but it had us taking Alan Branch (whom I would be extremely disapointed with along with any other defensive player not named Landry), but the interesting thing to me was the top 5...

Oak-Jamarcus Russell
    Det-Brady Quinn
    Cle-Adrian Peterson
    Tam-Calvin Johnson
    Ari-Joe Thomas

Yesterday, I was watching some Sports Center and Micheal Smith came on (started a thread about it earlier and this is kind of similar) and said the while the Browns are still high on Adrian Peterson the signing of Jamal Lewis takes some pressure off the Browns landing Adrain, and with all the holes Cleveland needs to fill they are strongly considering moving down...I was thinking if we would trade some picks or players (Chambers, Booker, Culpepper, ect) we would then be in position to choose between the best two prospects to come out of college in years (meaning Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas)...These two guys are as close to sure things to come out of college in many years...

Now, my entire life i have always been against moving up to draft players and considered any team that did so suckers. (im still pissed about loosing that third to the Vikings to move up one spot when we took Vernon Carey)...But man the thought of having to choose between Calvin or Joe Thomas seems like a very good problem to have...Although I am still in favor of keeping our picks and standing pat at number 9 the thought is very tempting...
    Say No to 1st Round RBs!

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vienna, Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    yea i dont get these people who want Alan Branch....Manny Wright, Rod Wright, Fred Evans, now Kevin Vickerson...is that not enough???? we have MUCH MORE higher things to worry about.

ps...we should make a "put a picture of ur girlfriend on ur avatar" bandwagon
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You guiys would not be happy if we took Branch? You've gotta be kidding me...Yhis guy is a monster in the middle...Rod Wright will probably play more End than DT...Manny Wright and Fred Evans are more likely to play DT too....The only real NT we have is Traylor and he's old.....Don't get me wrong cos I like the 3 young guys we have but to play a 3-4 you need a big guy in the middle and in today's NFL 300 is not that bnig anymore when you have 320lbs guards coming at you....with Branch our front 7 would probably be the best out there or close to it.

Roth,Branch,Holliday,JT,Crowder,Zach and Porter!!

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    just a little cattywampus

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangFinFan View Post

are you kidding me, my wife would freak! j/k
    (William H. Bonney, aka Billy the Kid): If a man has 3 or 4 pals, well, then he's got himself a tribe. And there ain't nothing stronger than that.

Rest In Peace Scott Knight, 1968-2007... Pals.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    You guiys would not be happy if we took Branch? You've gotta be kidding me...Yhis guy is a monster in the middle...Rod Wright will probably play more End than DT...Manny Wright and Fred Evans are more likely to play DT too....The only real NT we have is Traylor and he's old.....Don't get me wrong cos I like the 3 young guys we have but to play a 3-4 you need a big guy in the middle and in today's NFL 300 is not that bnig anymore when you have 320lbs guards coming at you....with Branch our front 7 would probably be the best out there or close to it.

Ozzy rules!!

DT is a tough position to analyze in the draft. Many good DT's are taken in the later rounds and many 1st rd picks are underachievers (Dan Wilkinson for example). If Quinn is gone before the 9th pick, the only other guy I would pick would be Landry. If not, I would rather see us trade down.
    I don't think Stanton will last into the 2nd rd.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vienna, Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i wouldnt be UPSET if we took Branch...i just think we have more needs than that. Evans is a big guy...Wright played in his 1st year and was impressive...Evans is 6'4, and weighs about 310 i think...hes pretty big id say. Manny Wright is also a monster, weighing at 329 and is 6'6. Rod Wright is also about 6'5, 305 pounds. but i think when Manny comes back, cuz im sure he will...he will make a great nose tackle
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Grand Cayman and Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonPhan View Post
    are you kidding me, my wife would freak! j/k
    I was thinking the same thing too
    Support my Cause, 'Sleeping out to help Homeless Youth' by visiting www.firstgiving.com/paultyler and donating anything you can. I finished my three nights out in the snow! A couple pics, crappy blog and videos are on caymangolfer.spaces.live.com, check them out. It was a blast and makes me thankful I have a warm bed to live in everynight.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Enter at your own risk...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Ozzy rules!!

My GF is going into modeling and is starting her own website...If that ever gets kicking ill put that in my sig...

But to get back on topic...Yes, I understand a good NT is pivotal when running a 3-4, and i think Alan Branch can be a very good fit for years to come...The problem is we have much bigger needs...Our offensive line has been ripped apart this offseason, and anyone who watched the Dolphins last year knows that the problem wasnt the defense...We just signed Traylor back, who when healthy fills the NT position perfectly. Listening to Dom Capers PC a couple days ago he said that he expects big things from Fred Evans and made it clear he is going to get some playing time at NT in the 3-4 this upcoming season...Manny Wright also can play both NT and DT...So it to me it seems like we have some young guys developing in that position and if we indeed arent happy with these guys I would like to see us take a NT in the later rounds to develope...Also when you look at guys who have been great NT over the years they havent been the early round picks...Guys like Gilbert Brown, Tony Serigusa, Grady Jackson, Keith Traylor all these guys where found later in the draft and became successful...In the first couple rounds i think we need to go offense...I really wouldnt mind or be suprised if we took Oline with our first three picks, Cam said it himself "it all starts up front"...And seeing the price it takes to sign big name free agent offensive line man, its clear we have to improve the oline through the draft...

So, maybe I over exagerated when I said i would be "disapointed" with Alan Branch...I would be ok if FO thinks he is best player available, but I still think the offensive side of the ball needs too much work to be spending such a high draft pick on a NT, whose talent will probally be equalled or surpassed by someone we could take in rounds 3-7....
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangFinFan View Post
    yea i dont get these people who want Alan Branch....Manny Wright, Rod Wright, Fred Evans, now Kevin Vickerson...is that not enough???? we have MUCH MORE higher things to worry about.

yea and traylor is back for a year or 2. why get another NT? dude evne if they become SUBPAR we can get another one the following year instead we can survive with ok NT's this year.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vienna, Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if u ask me...Traylor could last awhile. he still mauls people...hes still healthy. hes only 36 i believe...heh, im sure he could go another 4-5 years.
    Quote Quote