Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bills going conservative?

1. -1
    Bon vivant

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Illinois
    Thanks / No Thanks

Bills going conservative?

From TSN's War Room:

Word coming out of Buffalo is that the team is altering the wide-open system it used last season with quarterback Drew Bledsoe. The Bills are showing signs of being more conservative, hoping to rely on an improved defense and turning to a solid running game and play-action passes to control the clock.
    I suppose this makes sense, but when you have Drew Bledsoe, I question such a shift in philosophy. It's like us deciding to use the West Coast offense despite the presence of RW. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by DrAstroZoom; 07-14-2003 at 11:17 AM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Now completely imaginary

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Elsewhere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think it's a good idea. They're going to want to keep that defense off the field and not wear them out. And if they make this switch, I think their offense could be even MORE potent.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Maria & LauRen Aha!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CT
    Thanks / No Thanks
    my first thought is that the running game has not proven it will be effective in a more conservative offense as opposed to Drew's passing setting up the run (not vica-versa). And the D has not improved, yet they have not played a down even in PS
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    On an island
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They are probably doing this because they lost Peerless Price and Josh Reed won't exactly burn people with his speed, so they need to change it around to a system that is best for their players. However, their offense won't be as good because Henry was really helped by the fact that opposing defenses were always keying the pass.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Run to Daylight

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bad move by the Bills imo. Henry's will be exposed as a mediocre RB in such an offense. Moreover, youre taking the ball out of Bledsoe's hands, after he had his first good season in years.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by dolphan39
    my first thought is that the running game has not proven it will be effective in a more conservative offense as opposed to Drew's passing setting up the run (not vica-versa). And the D has not improved, yet they have not played a down even in PS
    I disagree. We relied on Drew's arm and although we were explossive at first, eventually teams caught up and it was downhill for the bills at the second half of the season. Bellichick exposed that.

The bills are headed to playing like we did against the fins at buffalo (no smack intended). We ran the ball first which opened up the passing lanes. I know the fins were prepared to defend the pass and in turn Henry was successful in that game. Teams will probably try to prepare for Henry this time around which is why the bills hired better blockers than Centers and Reimersma. I guess it's obvious that we'll be running the ball first and throwing second. Another move that tends to make that report true is letting Price go. Obviously we aren't going to pass much.

We also had to pass more last year because our D was horrible that we played catch up through the air. Hopefull , our D won't be giving up much points this year.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Run to Daylight

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by justafan

I disagree. We relied on Drew's arm and although we were explossive at first, eventually teams caught up and it was downhill for the bills at the second half of the season.
    Good point here. I hear what youre saying.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Bon vivant

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Illinois
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Justa ... how do you think Drew will deal with a reduced role?
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by iceblizzard69
    They are probably doing this because they lost Peerless Price and Josh Reed won't exactly burn people with his speed, so they need to change it around to a system that is best for their players. However, their offense won't be as good because Henry was really helped by the fact that opposing defenses were always keying the pass.
    Wrong , we hired Campbell (blocking TE) before we let Price go. It was already said before Price was let go that we were going to run more. On the contrary, this is why we let Price go. This is why we also hired Gary. Someone who can give Henry a rest every now and then.

Our most balanced offensive game last year was against a no. 3 D. We scored 38 points. (again no smack). Don't count Reed out. He's got better hands than Price and has proven to have better YAC especially since he's been catching the ball up the middle, in traffic.
    Last edited by Justasportsfan; 07-14-2003 at 11:50 AM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
    Justa ... how do you think Drew will deal with a reduced role?
    He was all for it when he came out and said they wanted a more smashmouth type of O. Especially since Henry is a punishing rb (so they say) or has been known to gain more yards after tackle.

Remember, Drew is out to prove he's not washed up. Personal achievements will not prove anything to the Pats but a sb ring will. That's all he's after.

I'll find that link.

It may be a reduced role but If we are successful at running the ball , defenses would have to stack up the front which would make his long, deep throws more dangerous. Against Miami , Moulds and Price didn't have a lot of receptions but their catches were deep and for a lot of yards.
    Quote Quote