Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: New college playoff is just as bad if not worse than previous one

  1. -1
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    33,557
    vCash:
    39610
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1

    New college playoff is just as bad if not worse than previous one

    So you are telling me a week ago they had TCU as thier 3rd best team but somehow even though they blew out a weaker team but non the less dominated them they are suddenly the 6th best team.
    The whole committe is a fraud. One day we will have a real college football playoff but its damn sure not here. I still advocate a sixteen team playoff like lesser divisions.
    In any format teams will get left out but outside of Fl St and even including them you could make arguments that none of these teams has proven to be better than TCU or Baylor.
    Ohio St barely beat Penn St in overtime
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    PhinsPhan11's Avatar
    Phins & Philly Sports

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2009
    Posts:
    12,402
    vCash:
    13241
    Loc:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    So you are telling me a week ago they had TCU as thier 3rd best team but somehow even though they blew out a weaker team but non the less dominated them they are suddenly the 6th best team.
    The whole committe is a fraud. One day we will have a real college football playoff but its damn sure not here. I still advocate a sixteen team playoff like lesser divisions.
    In any format teams will get left out but outside of Fl St and even including them you could make arguments that none of these teams has proven to be better than TCU or Baylor.
    Ohio St barely beat Penn St in overtime
    I think 16 is a little too many. I think 8 is a good number. If you can't get into an 8 team playoff, you don't deserve to be in.

    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    Flip Tanneflop's Avatar
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    15,226
    vCash:
    15131
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    The solutions is simple. Instead of making it subjective, make it objective. Voting people into a playoff is silly in and of itself.

    There are around 120 FBS teams.

    Create 8 divisions of 10 teams each. Each team plays all 9 of the other teams in their division each season. Each team can play up to 3 games outside of their division each season. Teams can reserve these games for long standing rivalries outside of their division and/or throw in a cupcake kind of game as a warm up to start the season or a mid season break. Hell, a team can play 2 cupcake games if they so choose, because these games will not factor into the divisional standings.

    At the end of the season, the teams 9 game divisional record determines who the champion of the division is. The team with the best record in the division wins the championship. For tiebreakers, a scenario like the one the NFL uses for playoff seeding is used. There are no co-champions.

    The 8 divisional champions play in an 8 team playoff to determine a national champion. It really is that simple. No voting. The teams play each other. If you win your division, you have the opportunity to win a national title. Every team knows at the beginning of the season what they need to accomplish. The rules are fair for everyone.

    The other 40 teams are placed into 5 team subdivisions of each of the main divisions. Those teams play the other 4 teams in their subdivision, as well as 5 teams from another subdivision, and up to 3 games of their own choosing. At seasons end, each team who finishes first in their subdivision, gets to advance into the main division the next season. The team who finishes last in the main division each season, falls to the subdivision, being replaced by its respective winner.

    That is how it is done. Any system you set up in which teams are "voted" in, whether it be by a committee, a bunch of writers, or some computer formulas is going to leave things open for debate. If we had last year's system, FSU would have never gotten moved from #1 and everyone knows it. The game would be #2 Bama vs. #1 FSU for the title and Oregon fans would be pissed. This way is slightly better because we will wind up with Oregon vs Bama and those are probably the teams that deserve to play. The reality is that FSU's body of work demonstrates they are really about the 15th best team in the country, but they are in because they are undefeated.

    No matter how many teams you choose to take in some voting system, there will be controversy. If we went with 8 teams, who would be the 7th and 8th teams this year? Would they be 2 teams who are really deserving of the chance? If you ask me, Ole Miss is the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country, but they would not be playing even if you took 8 teams. TCU and Baylor would be in, but who would be 7 and 8? Mich St and Miss St I suppose, but wouldnt some other 2 loss team have a case to bitch if those 2 teams got in? It is all very stupid IMHO.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    normaldude's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2003
    Posts:
    1,464
    vCash:
    3990
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like the new college playoff system.

    The problem with the old BCS system was that there were sometimes 3 teams that could legitimately claim they were #1.

    For example, this year, Alabama, Oregon, Florida St all have a legit claim that they are #1.

    So the way I see it, whether TCU, Ohio State, or Baylor got the final playoff spot, they should just consider it a gift.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    33,557
    vCash:
    39610
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by normaldude View Post
    I like the new college playoff system.

    The problem with the old BCS system was that there were sometimes 3 teams that could legitimately claim they were #1.

    For example, this year, Alabama, Oregon, Florida St all have a legit claim that they are #1.

    So the way I see it, whether TCU, Ohio State, or Baylor got the final playoff spot, they should just consider it a gift.
    Why is Oregon or even Alabama truly any better than TCU or Baylor both teams lost.
    Alabama lost to a Mississipi team that was blown out by Arkansas. BArely beat Arkansas.

    Oregon lost to Arizona and struggled against lowely Wash St.

    TCU lost to Baylor on road. Struggled with W virginia and Kansas

    Baylor lost at West Virginia and only struggled with Texas Tech

    ohio St lost to 6-6 Va Tech by two touchdowns at home
    went to overtime to win versus 6-6 Penn St.
    Came close to losing to Minnesota

    Ohio St should not have leapfrogged them for beating a very average Wisconson team

    Not sure why people think 16 is too many . there are like 120 schools . Every other division does 16 teams. Not very complicated.
    I could deal with 8 but 4 teams is not enough.

    Solution basically put all teams in conferences of like 14 teams. Each conference will have their championship game then all conference champions move to 8 team playoff
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Sons of Shula's Avatar
    17-0, 347 wins

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2013
    Posts:
    3,326
    vCash:
    3031
    Loc:
    Milky Way
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo
    I'm not surprised in the least. It's all about money and which matchups will bring the most revenue. Nothing more to be said.

    To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable. Ludwig van Beethoven


    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    33,557
    vCash:
    39610
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sons of Shula View Post
    I'm not surprised in the least. It's all about money and which matchups will bring the most revenue. Nothing more to be said.

    I would give the Committe the benefit of the doubt but TCU was number 3 ahead of Fl St a week ago.
    Somehow Ohio ST and FL ST jump them.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    normaldude's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2003
    Posts:
    1,464
    vCash:
    3990
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Why is Oregon or even Alabama truly any better than TCU or Baylor both teams lost.
    I don't watch every college football game. But in the AP poll, Alabama, Oregon, Florida St were the only teams that got significant number of 1st place votes.

    http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1

    Among people who follow college football closely, there seems to be a consensus that those 3 teams are the only ones that could be considered #1.

    Under the old BCS system, one of those teams would have been left out, which was a huge problem.

    But under the new CFP system, all 3 will make it.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    33,557
    vCash:
    39610
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by normaldude View Post
    I don't watch every college football game. But in the AP poll, Alabama, Oregon, Florida St were the only teams that got significant number of 1st place votes.

    http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1

    Among people who follow college football closely, there seems to be a consensus that those 3 teams are the only ones that could be considered #1.

    Under the old BCS system, one of those teams would have been left out, which was a huge problem.

    But under the new CFP system, all 3 will make it.

    Ohio St jumping makes everything on this committee quite flawed. A week ago they were 6th now all of a sudden when none of the teams above them struggled they jump to three.
    We still have no playoff or true champion but oh well.
    TCU was ranked above Florida St by this committee. They blew out iowa St while FSU strugggled against Ga Tech.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    1,800
    vCash:
    4728
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I thought Brett McMurphy's tweet was spot on:

    If Baylor or TCU’s jerseys said Texas or Oklahoma, wouldn’t have been left out
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. College playoff system?
    By DisturbedShifty in forum College Sports Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 06:52 PM
  2. Barack Obama supports a college football playoff
    By Dovahkiin in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 02:31 AM
  3. House panel passes college football playoff bill.. (link)
    By normaldude in forum College Sports Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 04:43 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 02:45 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 04:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •