Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Happy 100th birthday, John Wayne - RIP

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks

Happy 100th birthday, John Wayne - RIP

This is the 100th anniversary of John Wayne's birth...one of my all time favorite actors.

If anyone is interested, there is a John Wayne marathon on the AMC channel.

John Wayne (May 26, 1907 – June 11, 1979), born Marion Robert Morrison[1] and later changed to Marion Michael Morrison, popularly known as the "Duke," was an iconic, Academy Award-winning, American film actor. He epitomized rugged individualistic masculinity, and has become an enduring American icon. He is famous for his distinctive voice, walk and height.

In 1999, the American Film Institute named Wayne thirteenth among the Greatest Male Stars of All Time. A Harris Poll released in 2007 placed Wayne third among America's favorite film stars, the only deceased star on the list and the only one who has appeared on the poll every year.

His career began in silent movies in the 1920s and he was a major star from the 1940s to the 1970s. He is closely associated with Westerns and World War II epics, but he also made a wide range of films from various genres, biographies, romantic comedies, police dramas, and more.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Here's some interesting facts from Wikipedia
    Wayne's family moved to Palmdale, California, and then Glendale, California, in 1911. It was local firemen at the firehouse that was on his way to school in Glendale who started calling him "Little Duke" because he never went anywhere without his huge Airedale Terrier dog, "Big Duke."[2][3] He preferred "Duke" to "Marion," and the name stuck for the rest of his life.
    Wayne applied to the U.S. Naval Academy, but was not accepted.
    He instead attended the University of Southern California (USC), majoring in pre-law. He was a member of the Trojan Knights and joined the Sigma Chi fraternity. Wayne also played on the USC football team under legendary coach Howard Jones. An injury curtailed his athletic career; Wayne would later note he was too terrified of Jones' reaction to reveal the actual cause of his injury, which was bodysurfing at the infamous “Wedge” off Balboa Pier in Newport Beach. He lost his athletic scholarship and without funds had to leave school
    Wayne's strong anti-communist politics led to a particularly unnerving situation. Information from Soviet archives, reported in 2003, indicates that Joseph Stalin ordered Wayne's assassination, but died before the murder could be accomplished. His successor, Krushchev, reportedly told Wayne during a 1958 visit to the United States that he had personally rescinded the order
    In 1964, Wayne was diagnosed with lung cancer, and underwent surgery to remove his entire left lung and four ribs. Despite rumors that the cancer was caused by filming The Conqueror in Utah where the U.S. government had tested nuclear weapons (following which a surprising percentage of the cast and crew developed cancer), Wayne himself believed his five-pack-a-day cigarette habit was the cause.
    In an interview with Playboy, he made infamous remarks. One attempted to justify genocide against Native Americans, the second claimed that African Americans were not smart enough to run the government therefore why supremacy was justified in his eyes.
    He requested his tombstone read "Feo, Fuerte y Formal," a Spanish epitaph meaning he was ugly, strong, and had dignity.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    R.I.P. John Wayne

My favorite movie of his is Operation: Pacific
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    wiley veteran bad spelur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    indian river country
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have been watching it all morning...

I have never seen the Wake of Red Witch before... different. Sands of Iwo was the second one and is one of my favorites.. I might record the Quiet Man tonight.
    18-1 Choke of the Century

Click on VIP badge to Join
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Canton Ohio
    Thanks / No Thanks
    John Wayne was the man, I have over 20 of his movies on DVD and always looking for one I don't, It hard to pick just one of this movies as my favorite, But one of my must favorite is Big Jake
    What You Lack In Talent Makeup For It With Effort !!!
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    wiley veteran bad spelur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    indian river country
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HofCityFan View Post
    John Wayne was the man, I have over 20 of his movies on DVD and always looking for one I don't, It hard to pick just one of this movies as my favorite, But one of my must favorite is Big Jake
    if it is just one... that is it for me too.

The Shepard of the hills is on now, another one I have never seen.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cnc66 View Post
    if it is just one... that is it for me too.

The Shepard of the hills is on now, another one I have never seen.
    Good stuff...this is the second "new" one for me already today.
    Quote Quote