Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: GINN - I hate this quote

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Monrovia
    Thanks / No Thanks

GINN - I hate this quote

"He's allowed to have playbooks and that kind of stuff," Cameron said. "He's coming here as a returner first. He'll need to do a lot of studying for that. And then a receiver and he'll learn. Like I said, we've been through this with other guys."

I am not a regular poster, but this makes my blood boil. I have to admit, I was not thrilled w/ the Ginn pick @ #9, but it grew on me. I know I did not want Quinn at #9. I was hoping Levi Brown dropped to us and when he didn’t I was hoping for Patrick Willis to come our way. But, by no means do you draft a returner at #9 and pay him #9 money! At #9, you need a guy that can come in and start at their drafted position, especially on a team that has not made the playoffs in years! I know this subject has been brought up a million timnes but I just could not keep quiet after the head coach stated that we drafted a kick returner at #9.

Here’s to hoping I am wrong about this and that his ability to give us the field position needed makes the difference in our games!
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    ROLL!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    yea, i read that earlier, kinda ticked me off too, im with you though

its like he's preparing us not to see him do well as a WR
    :beer1:
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    I'm the Man in the Box

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OG54 View Post
    "He's allowed to have playbooks and that kind of stuff," Cameron said. "He's coming here as a returner first. He'll need to do a lot of studying for that. And then a receiver and he'll learn. Like I said, we've been through this with other guys."

I am not a regular poster, but this makes my blood boil. I have to admit, I was not thrilled w/ the Ginn pick @ #9, but it grew on me. I know I did not want Quinn at #9. I was hoping Levi Brown dropped to us and when he didn’t I was hoping for Patrick Willis to come our way. But, by no means do you draft a returner at #9 and pay him #9 money! At #9, you need a guy that can come in and start at their drafted position, especially on a team that has not made the playoffs in years! I know this subject has been brought up a million timnes but I just could not keep quiet after the head coach stated that we drafted a kick returner at #9.

Here’s to hoping I am wrong about this and that his ability to give us the field position needed makes the difference in our games!
    Do me a favor. Please TRY to list 10 WR's in the last 10 years who were difference makers at WR their rookie years(1000 yards receiving)... when you get stuck at 6 put up a post that you overeacted because WR's take 2-3 years to blossom, and because ginn can come in right now and make an impact at returning while he's learning it's a Double ++....
    Formerly HDjetta6316
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    I'm the Man in the Box

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FINatic 13 View Post
    yea, i read that earlier, kinda ticked me off too, im with you though

its like he's preparing us not to see him do well as a WR
    Thats becasue few WR rarely do anything their rookie year....It's the second longest learning curve in the game behind QB...
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Monrovia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Benny,

I am not arguing the point of whether or not he will be good in 2-3 years. My point is that u don't spend a #9 on a returner and even if u do, u don't tell your fans that's what u did. u tell them he will compete for a WR spot and make him beat out Booker, CC or DH.

i by no means am overreacting. i have waited over a month to speak up.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    King of the Wild Frontier

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyVW View Post
    Do me a favor. Please TRY to list 10 WR's in the last 10 years who were difference makers at WR their rookie years(1000 yards receiving)... when you get stuck at 6 put up a post that you overeacted because WR's take 2-3 years to blossom, and because ginn can come in right now and make an impact at returning while he's learning it's a Double ++....
    Agreed. And as Cameron himself said, he's been through it before with other guys, so I think we should trust his judgment until proven wrong.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks

I think you're reading too much into this..Ginn will be a ST person first as he learn his duties as a WR, Cam knows first year WR's don't do as well, as I'm sure we'll see Ginn in a lot of WR packages as the season goes by..but field position is a key element in football. Ginn is a WR on this team, and he will play that position, but he will start out starting as a ST player first, and backup WR until he learns the ins and outs of the position.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    With stolen wings and evil ways

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, he's got to start somewhere. I mean, he'll be counted on to produce in our return game immediately, whereas we're going to get him up to snuff on being a legitmate reciever in our offense. These things take time, he won't be able to go out there and run every pattern we have on day one - no rookie can. We're going to do everything we can to get the ball into his hands as soon as he's ready for it. In the meantime, we'll figure out ways to use him. Good, solid developmental plan.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He will be used as a returner this year.Obviously he was not drafted just to be a returner.His wide receiver skills will have to be developed.

Having said that I think he will be used in gadget or decoy plays to spread the
    field.Hopefully he can stretch that intial role into something more.

I concur with those that wish Cam would stop referring to him as a returner.Its a poor choice of words IMO.

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    King of the Wild Frontier

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Benny,

I am not arguing the point of whether or not he will be good in 2-3 years. My point is that u don't spend a #9 on a returner and even if u do, u don't tell your fans that's what u did. u tell them he will compete for a WR spot and make him beat out Booker, CC or DH.

i by no means am overreacting. i have waited over a month to speak up.
    Yeah, you are. They didn't spend a #9 pick on a kick returner. They spent it on a playmaker. Cameron was just being realistic with the fans. Ginn is fairly raw, but has upside. He will eventually be given the shot to beat out those wide receivers, but probably isn't ready yet.

You spend a top 10 pick on a player that will pay dividends for the next 10 years, not just this year. If he's as special as they think he is, a one year learning curve isn't going to kill us anymore than having a franchise QB learn on the job.
    Quote Quote