Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Huffington Post: "Barack Obama's Dirty Politics"

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Huffington Post: "Barack Obama's Dirty Politics"

From Mr. Obama's webpage about global warming:

We need to take steps to stop catastrophic, manmade climate change. If we do not act, the consequences will be devastating for future generations, especially for the poorest global populations.
    Huffington Post Article:

So why did Obama introduce the "Coal-to-Liquid Fuel Promotion Act of 2007," a bill that would promote the use of coal, the dirtiest of all fossil fuels, as a transportation fuel and make global warming a lot worse?

[...]

When Obama introduced the coal-to-liquids bill back in January, he drew catcalls from environmentalists. Frank O'Donnell, the executive director of a Washington group called the Clean Air Watch, told Grist's Amanda Griscom Little: "Obama may be a climate crusader, but in this case he's marching in the wrong direction."

[...]

Environmentalists are appalled. Frances Bienecke, the president of the Natural Resources Defense Council, told me: "If you fill your Prius with liquid coal, it would be like driving a Hummer." She described the coal-to-liquids proposal, as now written, as "an ecological disaster."

[...]

I take no pleasure is saying that this will damage Obama. I read his autobiography, Dreams From My Father, a few months ago, and came away very impressed. I want to believe that he is a different kind of political leader.
    But by supporting a Big Coal boondoggle, Obama is not simply disappointing those voters who care about environmental issues.
    He is undermining his own claim to be above politics, to be the kind of leader who looks beyond narrow, parochial interests to do what's right for all Americans.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marc-g...i_b_50046.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    aka FinSane

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What an idiot.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    But isn't this just a case where Obama voted for it before he votes against it? I thought this was the new leadership style of the left.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's tough to balance the environment with decreasing our reliance on oil. I guess he feels that this is the lesser of two evils.
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote