Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Religion and politics hand-in-hand in 2008 race

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Religion and politics hand-in-hand in 2008 race

Lately it seems all the leading presidential candidates are discussing their religious and moral beliefs -- even when they'd rather not.

Indeed, seven years after George W. Bush won the presidency in part with a direct appeal to conservative religious voters -- even saying during a debate that Jesus Christ was his favorite philosopher -- the personal faith of candidates has become a very public part of the presidential campaign.

Democratic Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama have hired strategists to focus on reaching religious voters. Obama's campaign holds a weekly conference call with key supporters in early primary and caucus states whose role is to spread the candidate's message to religious leaders and opinionmakers and report their concerns to the campaign.

Democrats in general are targeting moderate Roman Catholics, mainline Protestants and even evangelicals, hoping to enlist enough voters for whom religious and moral issues are a priority to put together a winning coalition.

Next week, Clinton, Obama and former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards are scheduled to address liberal evangelicals at a forum on "faith, values and poverty."

Some top-tier Republican candidates, the natural heirs to conservative religious support, are finding the issue awkward to handle.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has been questioned so much about his Mormon faith -- 46 percent of those polled by Gallup in March had a negative opinion of the religion -- that he has taken to emphasizing that he is running for a secular office.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, a Catholic who says he gave serious consideration as a young man to becoming a priest, is fending off critics who say he should be denied the sacrament of communion because he supports abortion rights.

Religion has become such a common element of presidential politics that during the first televised debate among the 2008 Republican candidates, a reporter asked if any did not believe in evolution -- three Republicans raised their hands: Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo.

"To many Americans, religion is a very important part of their life and they are interested in how religiosity influences candidates," said John Green, a University of Akron political science professor and senior fellow at the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/....ap/index.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Gone

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    That's not sad, it's scary. I would be worried.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Gone

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamian View Post
    That's not sad, it's scary. I would be worried.
    Actually bro, I was trying to portray disgust, not sadness.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Actually bro, I was trying to portray disgust, not sadness.
    That too.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seriously now

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I actually think it's going the other way in that religion is becoming less of a factor. It may not seem that way because the candidates and media continually harp on it.

Religion in politics is poison. The religious right had it's chance, and showed themselves to be the idiots they are. I believe the majority of Americans have picked up on that, and if anything wearing your religion on your sleeve will hurt you in the upcoming election.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Memphis
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why do people feel the need to attach their morals on everyone else? I don't consider myself a Catholic or even really a Christian anymore. But the Christian message has had a big impact on my morals. Yet I don't expect or demand that everyone else share those same morals. I understand that we all have a different perspective on moral issues, which are issues that don't necessarily have a 'black and white' correct answer. I wish this wasn't such a important topic to people. I wish they would focus on more tangible and important issues.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    I like big drums and I cannot lie.......

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Whether we accept it or not. All societies have a moral code. Whether its it spoken or not its there.

Its impossible to have a totally nutral society and it survive. One way or another someone or some groups morals are being 'forced' on others.

Most political issues are belief driven. Its hard not to believe in something without a moral postion on a particular subject. In that regard I have no problem with poeple allowing their beliefs to guide their political pursuits.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    The Decider

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Not in Clearwater
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
    Whether we accept it or not. All societies have a moral code. Whether its it spoken or not its there.

Its impossible to have a totally nutral society and it survive. One way or another someone or some groups morals are being 'forced' on others.

Most political issues are belief driven. Its hard not to believe in something without a moral postion on a particular subject. In that regard I have no problem with poeple allowing their beliefs to guide their political pursuits.
    Well that doesnt really have much to do with politicians extolling the virtues of their religious faith. It's all about pandering to a group. Unless you actually think that by being Christian you are more inclined to follow moral codes that are outlined in law or the Bible. I dont know the statistics, but I would be willing to bet the farm that on avg there are proportionately many more Christians arrested for crimes than atheists.

And beleiving in something and standing for something do not go hand in hand in politics, come on bro!
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Gone

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ABrownLamp View Post
    Well that doesnt really have much to do with politicians extolling the virtues of their religious faith. It's all about pandering to a group. Unless you actually think that by being Christian you are more inclined to follow moral codes that are outlined in law or the Bible. I dont know the statistics, but I would be willing to bet the farm that on avg there are proportionately many more Christians arrested for crimes than atheists.

And beleiving in something and standing for something do not go hand in hand in politics, come on bro!
    Well said.
    Quote Quote