Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Superconducting Turbojet

  1. -1
    ckb2001's Avatar
    scientist

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2002
    Posts:
    4,945
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Superconducting Turbojet

    Imagine how this - an all-electric aircraft using superconducting motors - would revolutionize air travel, military technology, etc.. Oh, and there's no pollutants emitted too (and it would be much quieter).

    http://www.physorg.com/news101391900.html

    "An all-electric aircraft could soon appear over the horizon thanks to high-flying scientific research published today in the Institute of Physics' journal, Superconductor Science and Technology. The new type of aircraft, currently on the drawing board, could be far more efficient than conventional aircraft, produce less greenhouse emissions, and be quieter.

    We could potentially build a superconducting motor and generator smaller than a gas turbine, which would make possible electric propulsion," says Masson. Electrical propulsion would not only decrease emissions but also reduce to a minimum the needs for maintenance as all hydraulic systems would be eliminated, he adds. The team has designed such systems with high fidelity models and optimization tools.

    Masson adds that the team is now looking for an industrial partner to build a prototype of the superconducting "turbofan". "The technology is there," he says, "it is a matter of finding a source of funding."
    ---------------------
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    Eshlemon's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    4,830
    vCash:
    1510
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Neat research, when can I get one for my car? <rhetorical question ckb>
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    Miamian's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2001
    Posts:
    6,838
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One of the posters raised the question that I would ask: speed. If they're using a turbofan, then it would be a propeller-type engine which travels considerably slower than a jet. It may not appeal to airlines.

    On another note, I'm a Florida State alumnus so it's nice to read that that's where the research was conducted.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    cnc66's Avatar
    wiley veteran bad spelur

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2005
    Posts:
    19,550
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    indian river country
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ambiant superconductivity would change everything
    18-1 Choke of the Century

    Click on VIP badge to Join
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Miamian's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2001
    Posts:
    6,838
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cnc66 View Post
    ambiant superconductivity would change everything
    I'm really deficient in natural/physical science Marty. Could you elaborate?
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    ckb2001's Avatar
    scientist

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2002
    Posts:
    4,945
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamian View Post
    One of the posters raised the question that I would ask: speed. If they're using a turbofan, then it would be a propeller-type engine which travels considerably slower than a jet. It may not appeal to airlines.

    On another note, I'm a Florida State alumnus so it's nice to read that that's where the research was conducted.
    I don't get the question really. Many military aircraft use turbojets and many commercial aircraft use turbofans (which is based on a turbojet - this isn't a traditional "propellor" aircraft). Speed shouldn't be slower than what it is now.

    I mean your F-16 and F-15 use turbojets engines.

    Oh, and the reason superconductivity is so important is because electricity traveling through any wire loses energy in the process. Superconductors would revolutionize our world because they could transmit energy without losing it (at least almost none is lost). The problem of course is creating superconductors that can operate at room temperature. Currently, you need to make them REALLY cold before they become superconducting.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    cnc66's Avatar
    wiley veteran bad spelur

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2005
    Posts:
    19,550
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    indian river country
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamian View Post
    I'm really deficient in natural/physical science Marty. Could you elaborate?

    this covers it pretty good;

    Quote Originally Posted by ckb2001
    Oh, and the reason superconductivity is so important is because electricity traveling through any wire loses energy in the process. Superconductors would revolutionize our world because they could transmit energy without losing it (at least almost none is lost). The problem of course is creating superconductors that can operate at room temperature. Currently, you need to make them REALLY cold before they become superconducting.
    everything would instantly become more efficient, electric motors can become very small and very powerful, also I think the heat generated by the motors is also reduced. More efficient low voltages too, batteries would became longer lasting.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Miamian's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2001
    Posts:
    6,838
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I see. I was looking at what one of the posters on that site had said.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    ckparrothead's Avatar
    Premium Member

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    47,177
    vCash:
    3095
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    2
    So is anyone making any inroads on room temperature superconductors? CKB? You seem to be the authority, lol.

    I hope you realize CKB that literally the only reason I click onto the PoFo is to see if you posted a new technology thread. You should have your own forum, lol.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Megatron's Avatar
    The POFO bully.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2004
    Posts:
    8,563
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Cybertron
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    So is anyone making any inroads on room temperature superconductors? CKB? You seem to be the authority, lol.

    I hope you realize CKB that literally the only reason I click onto the PoFo is to see if you posted a new technology thread. You should have your own forum, lol.
    You mean it's not for my sparkling wit and personality?
    Quote Quote  

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •