Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superconducting Turbojet

1. -1
    scientist

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Superconducting Turbojet

Imagine how this - an all-electric aircraft using superconducting motors - would revolutionize air travel, military technology, etc.. Oh, and there's no pollutants emitted too (and it would be much quieter).

http://www.physorg.com/news101391900.html

"An all-electric aircraft could soon appear over the horizon thanks to high-flying scientific research published today in the Institute of Physics' journal, Superconductor Science and Technology. The new type of aircraft, currently on the drawing board, could be far more efficient than conventional aircraft, produce less greenhouse emissions, and be quieter.

We could potentially build a superconducting motor and generator smaller than a gas turbine, which would make possible electric propulsion," says Masson. Electrical propulsion would not only decrease emissions but also reduce to a minimum the needs for maintenance as all hydraulic systems would be eliminated, he adds. The team has designed such systems with high fidelity models and optimization tools.

Masson adds that the team is now looking for an industrial partner to build a prototype of the superconducting "turbofan". "The technology is there," he says, "it is a matter of finding a source of funding."
    ---------------------
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Neat research, when can I get one for my car? <rhetorical question ckb>
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One of the posters raised the question that I would ask: speed. If they're using a turbofan, then it would be a propeller-type engine which travels considerably slower than a jet. It may not appeal to airlines.

On another note, I'm a Florida State alumnus so it's nice to read that that's where the research was conducted.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    wiley veteran bad spelur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    indian river country
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ambiant superconductivity would change everything
    18-1 Choke of the Century

Click on VIP badge to Join
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cnc66 View Post
    ambiant superconductivity would change everything
    I'm really deficient in natural/physical science Marty. Could you elaborate?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    scientist

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamian View Post
    One of the posters raised the question that I would ask: speed. If they're using a turbofan, then it would be a propeller-type engine which travels considerably slower than a jet. It may not appeal to airlines.

On another note, I'm a Florida State alumnus so it's nice to read that that's where the research was conducted.
    I don't get the question really. Many military aircraft use turbojets and many commercial aircraft use turbofans (which is based on a turbojet - this isn't a traditional "propellor" aircraft). Speed shouldn't be slower than what it is now.

I mean your F-16 and F-15 use turbojets engines.

Oh, and the reason superconductivity is so important is because electricity traveling through any wire loses energy in the process. Superconductors would revolutionize our world because they could transmit energy without losing it (at least almost none is lost). The problem of course is creating superconductors that can operate at room temperature. Currently, you need to make them REALLY cold before they become superconducting.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    wiley veteran bad spelur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    indian river country
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamian View Post
    I'm really deficient in natural/physical science Marty. Could you elaborate?

this covers it pretty good;

Quote Originally Posted by ckb2001
    Oh, and the reason superconductivity is so important is because electricity traveling through any wire loses energy in the process. Superconductors would revolutionize our world because they could transmit energy without losing it (at least almost none is lost). The problem of course is creating superconductors that can operate at room temperature. Currently, you need to make them REALLY cold before they become superconducting.
    everything would instantly become more efficient, electric motors can become very small and very powerful, also I think the heat generated by the motors is also reduced. More efficient low voltages too, batteries would became longer lasting.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I see. I was looking at what one of the posters on that site had said.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So is anyone making any inroads on room temperature superconductors? CKB? You seem to be the authority, lol.

I hope you realize CKB that literally the only reason I click onto the PoFo is to see if you posted a new technology thread. You should have your own forum, lol.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    The POFO bully.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cybertron
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    So is anyone making any inroads on room temperature superconductors? CKB? You seem to be the authority, lol.

I hope you realize CKB that literally the only reason I click onto the PoFo is to see if you posted a new technology thread. You should have your own forum, lol.
    You mean it's not for my sparkling wit and personality?
    Quote Quote