Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superconducting Turbojet

1. -11
    scientist

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    So is anyone making any inroads on room temperature superconductors? CKB? You seem to be the authority, lol.

I hope you realize CKB that literally the only reason I click onto the PoFo is to see if you posted a new technology thread. You should have your own forum, lol.
    Hey thanks ckparrothead. I come nowhere near you in football knowledge, but at least I have my own area of expertise And Celtkin once did say in a PM to me that he had given thought to the idea of a science forum. Personally, I don't think a science-only forum would be that good. But, a science and religion forum definitely!! Well, I do think that would be a great addition, but that's not up to me..

Anyway, here's a link on high-temperature superconductors:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-te...y_and_Progress

"the record is still held by a cuprate-perovskite material (Tc=138 K, that is −135 °C),"
    ----------------

That's obviously nowhere near where we need to be. We'll need it close to room temperature, or something more manageable like several degrees below zero.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    scientist

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    You mean it's not for my sparkling wit and personality?
    Just a few more weeks Mega.. and it's Transformers time!! I doubt the real Megatron will have sparkling wit and personality
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So is anyone making any inroads on room temperature superconductors? CKB? You seem to be the authority, lol.

I hope you realize CKB that literally the only reason I click onto the PoFo is to see if you posted a new technology thread. You should have your own forum, lol.
    This is why non-POFO threads belong in the Lounge. A lot of people never venture into POFO because of the nature of POFO and the in-fighting in there.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superconductivity is a phenomenon observed in several metals and ceramic materials. When these materials are cooled to temperatures ranging from near absolute zero (-459 degrees Fahrenheit, 0 degrees Kelvin, -273 degrees Celsius) to liquid nitrogen temperatures (-321 F, 77 K, -196 C), they have no electrical resistance. The temperature at which electrical resistance is zero is called the critical temperature (Tc) and varies with the individual material. For practical purposes, critical temperatures are achieved by cooling materials with either liquid helium or liquid nitrogen. The following table shows the critical temperatures of various superconductors:
    MaterialTypeTc(K)
    Zincmetal0.88
    Aluminummetal1.19
    Tinmetal3.72
    Mercurymetal4.15
    YBa2Cu3O7ceramic90
    TlBaCaCuOceramic125

Because these materials have no electrical resistance, meaning electrons can travel through them freely, they can carry large amounts of electrical current for long periods of time without losing energy as heat. Superconducting loops of wire have been shown to carry electrical currents for several years with no measurable loss. This property has implications for electrical power transmission, if transmission lines can be made of superconducting ceramics, and for electrical-storage device

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question610.htm

Obviously lowering the temperature to those levels is challenging.The research appears to be heading towards finding better superconducting materials and progress has been made in the ceramics field.

If that technology could be mastered it could solve many of the energy needs of the future.Exciting technology

Quote Quote  

5. -15
    The POFO bully.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cybertron
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckb2001 View Post
    Just a few more weeks Mega.. and it's Transformers time!! I doubt the real Megatron will have sparkling wit and personality
    What's not witty about destroying all humans? I think it's a laugh riot.:wink:
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckb2001 View Post
    Hey thanks ckparrothead. I come nowhere near you in football knowledge, but at least I have my own area of expertise And Celtkin once did say in a PM to me that he had given thought to the idea of a science forum. Personally, I don't think a science-only forum would be that good. But, a science and religion forum definitely!! Well, I do think that would be a great addition, but that's not up to me..

Anyway, here's a link on high-temperature superconductors:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-te...y_and_Progress

"the record is still held by a cuprate-perovskite material (Tc=138 K, that is −135 °C),"
    ----------------

That's obviously nowhere near where we need to be. We'll need it close to room temperature, or something more manageable like several degrees below zero.
    So what's the catch on the superconductor that Muller and whats his name found in 1986? Is it too expensive to make? Too rare a material?
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    scientist

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So what's the catch on the superconductor that Muller and whats his name found in 1986? Is it too expensive to make? Too rare a material?
    Cool you know about Muller and co. But, that was inventing a superconductor that worked at ~30K, so just 30 degrees Celsius above absolute zero, or -240 C!!

The problem with superconductors that operate at too cold a temperature is the cost of cooling them to that temperature. That requires lots of energy and makes them cost-inefficient. The materials themselves can if necessary be mass-produced (Muller's was a ceramic anyway) - it's the cooling that's the problem.
    Quote Quote