Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CIA to air its dirty laundry

1. -1
    I'm your huckleberry

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks

CIA to air its dirty laundry

"The CIA will declassify hundreds of pages of long-secret records detailing some of the intelligence agency's worst illegal abuses -- the so-called "family jewels" documenting a quarter-century of overseas assassination attempts, domestic spying, kidnapping and infiltration of leftist groups from the 1950s to the 1970s, CIA Director Michael V. Hayden said yesterday.

The documents, to be publicly released next week, also include accounts of break-ins and theft, the agency's opening of private mail to and from China and the Soviet Union, wiretaps and surveillance of journalists, and a series of "unwitting" tests on U.S. civilians, including the use of drugs."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19360920/

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't expect others to follow suit.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    aka FinSane

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its about time, 50 years too late. unfourtantely theres a lot more(still) going on than theyll be willing to tell us.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DolFan31 View Post
    Its about time, 50 years too late. unfourtantely theres a lot more(still) going on than theyll be willing to tell us.

Do you REALLY believe the general public has the right or the desire to know what are and have been historically covert ops?

Seriously, there are some things you just cant broadcast to the world and keep things safe and secure. There has to be some level of trust you impart in the government, less you think anarchy is the only way, because thats what you would have.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    aka FinSane

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Do you REALLY believe the general public has the right or the desire to know what are and have been historically covert ops?

Seriously, there are some things you just cant broadcast to the world and keep things safe and secure. There has to be some level of trust you impart in the government, less you think anarchy is the only way, because thats what you would have.

Yes, I do. Unless its something to do with our troops or real security(like location/position of our troops, strategic moves, intelligence, ect.), then I do want to know what my tax dollars are paying for. I do not think we should have been in Cuba trying to use terrorism to take out Castro, nor do I think we should have been in Nicaragua, Grenada, Panama, Haiti, Guatemala, Chile, Columbia, and everywhere else our good ol CIA has been involved with heavily, and you see the results. Are those countries(and our own) better off today as a result of our CIA's covert and overt operations? THOSE are questions we should be asking, not whether or not do we have the right to know or not to know. I want to know that the CIA is conducting mind controlling experiments(MK Ultra), or using unsuspecting black people to test diseases on(Tuskegee experiments), or collaborating with murderous Nazis during and after World War 2(Operation Paper Clip). I guess we should just keep quiet and enjoy the feeling of having my head buried under sand.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Looking forward to this actually. Especially the stuff on the Black Panthers and other groups of the late 60s.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    I'm your huckleberry

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    some highlights from msnbc..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19438161/

The CIA conducted surveillance on numerous journalists, including Brit Hume, now an anchor for Fox News. Hume was working for investigative columnist Jack Anderson when he, Anderson and other Anderson associates were put under surveillance in 1972 after Anderson published a column, considered inside the agency as highly damaging, reporting that the CIA was “tilting” toward Pakistan in its Middle East operations.
    From 1963 to 1973, the CIA authorized and funded “behavioral modification” research on Americans without their consent. The research primarily involved observation of their reactions in public, but some of it involved reactions to undisclosed drugs, the documents report.
    The CIA plotted the assassinations of Cuban President Fidel Castro; Patrice Lumumba, the democratically elected president of the Democratic Republic of the Congo; and Rafael Trujillo, the Dominican dictator.
    link to full report= http://www.foia.cia.gov/browse_docs_...&showPage=0001

Some have been saying it's a history of a different time and a different type of agency, but it really does make you wonder about how things are run today.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    I'm your huckleberry

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DolFan31 View Post
    Yes, I do. Unless its something to do with our troops or real security(like location/position of our troops, strategic moves, intelligence, ect.), then I do want to know what my tax dollars are paying for. I do not think we should have been in Cuba trying to use terrorism to take out Castro, nor do I think we should have been in Nicaragua, Grenada, Panama, Haiti, Guatemala, Chile, Columbia, and everywhere else our good ol CIA has been involved with heavily, and you see the results. Are those countries(and our own) better off today as a result of our CIA's covert and overt operations? THOSE are questions we should be asking, not whether or not do we have the right to know or not to know. I want to know that the CIA is conducting mind controlling experiments(MK Ultra), or using unsuspecting black people to test diseases on(Tuskegee experiments), or collaborating with murderous Nazis during and after World War 2(Operation Paper Clip). I guess we should just keep quiet and enjoy the feeling of having my head buried under sand.
    well said. Sometimes I wonder if some people just won't be happy until we have a full-blown police state.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    aka FinSane

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocoloco View Post
    well said. Sometimes I wonder if some people just won't be happy until we have a full-blown police state.
    Were pretty close to it.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't you think that you guys are exaggerating, maybe just a little bit?
    Quote Quote