Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MERGED: School Bans Girl for Wearing Chastity Ring

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks

MERGED: School Bans Girl for Wearing Chastity Ring

A teenage girl who was banned by her school from wearing a "purity ring" is taking her case to the High Court.

Lydia Playfoot, 16, is a member of a Christian group called the Silver Ring Thing and one of a number of students at the Millais School in Horsham, West Sussex, who wears a silver ring engraved with a Biblical reference — "1 Thes 434," a reference to St. Paul's Letter to the Thessalonians — as a sign of their belief in abstinence from sex until marriage.

She claims that her secondary school is breaching her human rights by preventing her from wearing the ring, while allowing Muslim and Sikh students to wear headscarfs and religious bangles.

The school denies her claims, arguing that the purity ring is not an integral part of the Christian faith, and contravenes its uniform policy.

Playfoot will argue that her right to express her religious beliefs under Article Nine of the Human Rights Act has been breached by the ban.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,286395,00.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Gone

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Had this been about her wearing a cross around her neck, I'd be on her side. The ring isn't an integral part of her faith, and if it violates the school dress code then the school is within their rights to not allow it.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs shall be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of public safety, for the protection of public order, health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.
    I don't know bro. Given the wording of the UK Human Rights Act, it may be difficult for the school to prove that banning her from wearing a ring was "necessary in a democratic society in the interests of public safety, for the protection of public order, health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others"
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    I love Mindwarp

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Akron, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Who decides what's an integral part of one's faith though? I mean walking around without wearing a cross around your neck, as an example that Pagan points out, doesn't make you less of a christian or something. I agree with the school banning it, if it goes against the dress code.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Gone

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtkin View Post
    I don't know bro. Given the wording of the UK Human Rights Act, it may be difficult for the school to prove that banning her from wearing a ring was "necessary in a democratic society in the interests of public safety, for the protection of public order, health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others"
    I understand, but a dress code is a dress code. If it's a private school, they have the right not to allow it, unless it's like a Hindu's turban.

I mean, banning a shirt saying "Hitler wasn't ALL bad" isn't necessary in a democratic society in the interests of public safety, for the protection of public order, health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others either...but you wouldn't be able to wear one to school. :wink:
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Teen Girl Banned From School for Chastity Ring Heads to Court

A teenage girl who was banned by her school from wearing a "purity ring" is taking her case to the High Court.

Lydia Playfoot, 16, is a member of a Christian group called the Silver Ring Thing and one of a number of students at the Millais School in Horsham, West Sussex, who wears a silver ring engraved with a Biblical reference — "1 Thes 434," a reference to St. Paul's Letter to the Thessalonians — as a sign of their belief in abstinence from sex until marriage.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...tml&frame=true
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    You could have had free beer, for shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't see what the big deal is, Its just a ring.
    Once Dmac is drafted a Dmac Jersey will spontaneously materialize in the closet of each and every Dolfan...

...and not that replica crap either...
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    I love Mindwarp

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Akron, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike13 View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is, Its just a ring.
    Exactly, so it shouldn't be an issue to not wear it to school.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't see the big deal, this is about a dress code. The dress code allows for exceptions in cases where the article is integral to the faith. This purity ring thing is not. There has to be some kind of historical context for whether an article qualifies as something that is integral to the faith, you can't just go making stuff up as you go along...like all the sudden she and some others decide that they can't wear button up shirts and jackets anymore they have to wear a t-shirt that says "God is #1" on it because they deem it to be integral to their faith...where in reality it's just a fad.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Had this been about her wearing a cross around her neck, I'd be on her side. The ring isn't an integral part of her faith, and if it violates the school dress code then the school is within their rights to not allow it.

Consider what you're saying though. By your definition, it's ok for other people to decide what YOUR religious expression can and cannot be. Just because you consider the cross to be the only valid expression of christianity doesn't mean others feel the same way. How would you feel if someone arbitrarily decided that the pentagram was the only valid expression of paganism?

It's dangerous for other people to decide what is and isn't an integral part of any persons religion. Of course, we can't allow people to violate laws in expression of their religion(Rastafarians and pot smoking for example), but short of that, we need to allow some leeway.

Oh, and comparing a t-shirt which everyone could read and everyone would be offended by to a ring...just a BIT extreme Pagan.
    - "What do we mean by the defeat of the enemy? Simply the destruction of his forces, whether by death, injury, or any other means -- either completely or enough to make him stop fighting. . . . ."-Carl von Clausewitz-
    Quote Quote