Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Hindu prayer in the Senate draws protesters

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Hindu prayer in the Senate draws protesters

Three protesters disrupted a prayer by a Hindu chaplain Thursday at the opening of a Senate hearing, calling it an abomination and shouting slogans about Jesus Christ.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/...eut/index.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    @ those idiots. Yeah I'm sure Jesus would be proud in the way they're representing him
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Punk Exterminator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Arm View Post
    @ those idiots. Yeah I'm sure Jesus would be proud in the way they're representing him
    100% agree.
    I believe I can fly.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Gone

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Personally, I don't think the Senate should start with a prayer from ANY religion.

That being said....did you expect any less?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a land far, far away
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Personally, I don't think the Senate should start with a prayer from ANY religion.

Agreed ... on both points....

but I also agree with Noodle Arm....

I think that if they had a problem with it, they should have shown enough respect to wait until the prayer was over... imagine the outcry if a prayer to Jesus was interrupted by Hindus shouting slogans for Kali or Gonesha....
    but then, I doubt any Hindu would do such a thing
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post

I agree with you 100% on both counts. I'm not a religious person at all, but I'll respect another persons beliefs and wouldn't "make a scene" and go against everything your religion stands for like these 3 idiots did.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Certified Jesus Freak

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hawaii
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
    Agreed ... on both points....

but I also agree with Noodle Arm....

I think that if they had a problem with it, they should have shown enough respect to wait until the prayer was over... imagine the outcry if a prayer to Jesus was interrupted by Hindus shouting slogans for Kali or Gonesha....
    but then, I doubt any Hindu would do such a thing
    I haven't posted for a long time. But, while I'm ashamed of the disruption that took place and of the Christians who would bring disgrace upon the Lord's name through these acts, I feel compelled to comment about your doubt that any Hindu would do such a thing:

http://www.christianpost.com/article...g_in_India.htm

The number of attacks against Christians by Hindu extremists has increased at an alarming rate through the first four months of 2007; a reported total of 113 incidents have been recorded since January 1, 2007.
    Compass Direct News reports these recent incidents:
    • A mob of around 50 Hindu extremists allegedly belonging to the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) surrounded a house church the night of April 22 and began shouting derogatory statements at worshippers. Dr. Sajan George, president of the Global Council of Indian Christians, said terrified believers at the church in Rajanukunte village, six miles from Bangalore in Karnataka state, shut the doors and phoned local police. Two policemen arrived and took two pastors identified only as Jayaseelan and Daniel of Holy Assembly Church to the police station. En route, a few activists began beating and insulting the pastors and four other believers who had accompanied them, as the police officers looked on. The pastors later were released after being charged.
    • A mob of 300 Hindu extremists belonging to the Hindu extremist Sangh Parivar and RSS demolished the Jeypore Evangelical Lutheran Church (JELC) building in front of the Orissa police and district administration and ransacked a pastor’s house on April 4 in Gunthaput village, Koraput district, in Orissa state. The hired attackers protested construction of a boundary wall around the building, claiming the land didn’t belong to the church. While wrecking the church, the extremists raised banners warning Christians that they would not allow any Christian worship center in their village.
    • Ten to 12 Hindu extremists on alleged orders from Sangh Parivar assaulted independent pastor Basanta Nayak, 21, of Sujeli village, Phulbani district, in Orissa state on March 27. The Global Council of Indian Christians said Nayak had organized a prayer and healing service in Sujeli with 175 people in attendance. Around 9 p.m., the Hindu extremists entered the service, walked up to Nayak and requested him to go with them to pray over a sick man who was too ill to attend. They took Nayak to a Hindu temple, where 10 more extremists were waiting with wooden clubs. One slapped Nayak and cursed Christianity, making false accusations of forcible conversions at the service, while others struck him with clubs.
    This is only the tip of the iceberg.
    IMHO, these acts do not represent true Hinduism anymore than the prayer protests represent true Christianity. IMHO, one's religious or secular belief system does not necessarily reflect the degree of one's personal level of maturity or stupidity.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a land far, far away
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansMojo View Post
    I haven't posted for a long time. But, while I'm ashamed of the disruption that took place and of the Christians who would bring disgrace upon the Lord's name through these acts, I feel compelled to comment about your doubt that any Hindu would do such a thing:

http://www.christianpost.com/article...g_in_India.htm

IMHO, these acts do not represent true Hinduism anymore than the prayer protests represent true Christianity. IMHO, one's religious or secular belief system does not necessarily reflect the degree of one's personal level of maturity or stupidity.

Wow... I stand corrected.
    After spending considerable time in India recently, among many Hindus.... I'm surprised by this to say the least. I saw nothing that would indicate any thing of the sort in the areas of the country I visited.
    Somehow the terms "Hindu" and "extremist" just don't sound right together...
    Anyway... I retract that portion of my post, but stand by the remainder.

Good to see you again Hans! :wink:
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Certified Jesus Freak

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hawaii
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
    Wow... I stand corrected.
    After spending considerable time in India recently, among many Hindus.... I'm surprised by this to say the least. I saw nothing that would indicate any thing of the sort in the areas of the country I visited.
    Somehow the terms "Hindu" and "extremist" just don't sound right together...
    Anyway... I retract that portion of my post, but stand by the remainder.

Good to see you again Hans! :wink:
    I'd love love love to spend some serious time in India. I'm jealous! We've spent time in Bali (lot's of Hindus there too) and the people there are some of the kindest people I've ever met. For example, just about every time we'd park the car, someone would place an offering of flowers on the car as a prayer for our protection. I don't believe in the Hindu religion, but I do appreciate the act of kindness. There is a lot of love in that culture and religion. Unfortunately, extremism and hatred is to be found just about everywhere these days.

Good to see you too man. I lurk around still. I just don't have enough time or energy to post much anymore. I'm with you guys in "spirit" though.
    Quote Quote