Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: So... what is your religion about...

1. -1
    El rey de la Pachacha

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks

So... what is your religion about...

See we got all these posters that are christian. And for all of us that where raised in Christian (in my case catholic) enviroments we kinda know what are those beliefs. Some of us though have moved to different faiths after having grown dissappointed with the Christian faith.

And I am curious about what are the beliefs that other people from other faiths have. I think there was a similar thread back some time ago but just in case, since I remember posting something about Buddhism some time ago. Be it as it may I think it would be interesting to read more about Paganism, Judaism (I dated a girl that is a jew, thank god for being from a jewish family, and I learned a bit about it and it sounds like a deadly interesting religion).

I guess we should also open the door for any questions people might have and maybe even debate, since after all that is why we are here for.

Anyways I am a Zen Buddhist. Buddhism is a huge religion and as such it has very many different subdivisions inside of it. The two main ones are Mahayana and Theravada, the difference between the two is that Mahayana focuses on the Dharma (the teachings of the Buddha) while Theravada focuses more on the Buddha himself as a godlike figure, and on the gods and bodhidarmas that follow him.

Zen is a east asian brand of Buddhism. It does not focus on the philosophy and the metaphysical aspects of buddhism as much, and puts a strong (really strong) emphasis on the art of Zazen, which is seated meditation. Immitating the way Sakyamuni (Siddharta Gautama, Buddha) meditated under the Bodhi Tree to achieve enlightment.

As all buddhism we follow the eightfold path:

* Wisdom

1. Right view
    2. Right intention

* Ethical conduct
    3. Right speech
    4. Right action
    5. Right livelihood

* Mental discipline

6. Right effort
    7. Right mindfulness
    8. Right concentration
    and we believe the four noble truths:

1. The Nature of Dukkha: All life is suffering. This is the noble truth of "dukkha": the word "Dukkha" is usually translated as "suffering" in English. Birth is dukkha, aging is dukkha, sickness is dukkha, death is dukkha; union with what is displeasing is dukkha; separation from what is pleasing is dukkha; not to get what one wants is dukkha; to get what one does not want is dukkha; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are dukkha. This first Noble Truth reflects on the nature of suffering. It comments on types of suffering, identifying each type in turn. A more accurate simplification of this truth is "Life is full of suffering."
    2. The Origin of Dukkha (Samudaya): Suffering is caused by desire. This is the noble truth of the origin of dukkha: It is craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust; that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination. The second Noble Truth reflects on the sources of suffering (Dukkha.) Put very simply, it states that suffering results from expectations linked to our desires, and our attachment to those desires themselves.
    3. The Cessation of Dukkha (Nirodha): To eliminate suffering, eliminate desire. This is the noble truth of the cessation of dukkha: It is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, and non-reliance on it. The third Noble Truth reflects on the belief that suffering can be eliminated. It asserts that it can be done, and that it has been done.
    4. The Way Leading to the Cessation of Dukkha (Magga): To eliminate desire follow the Eightfold Path. This is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of Dukkha: It is the Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. [7][9]
    I posted that from wiki because I am a tad tired to go into it in my own words.

Anyways, you get my views now. I am interested in seeing yours.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    I love Mindwarp

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Akron, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have no religion, but I must say I like the idea of that eightfold path.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a land far, far away
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wow... I'm definately coming back to this thread when I have more time to devote to it, as there is really no simple explanation for what I consider my "religion" to be.... Great thread Quelonio!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So which one is the Dalai Llama (sp?) ? I have a two books by him, and I must say that I enjoy them both. Good stuff. I'm a bit more of a Gandhi guru (when it comes to folks of a different religion than mine, but the Dalai Llama is a good man.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Punk Exterminator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have a melting pot of beliefs.
    I refuse to be pigeon holed into anyone sect or follow anyone dogma.
    To lable me is to negate me.
    I refuse to be negated!!!
    I believe I can fly.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    I love Mindwarp

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Akron, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Den54 View Post
    I have a melting pot of beliefs.
    I refuse to be pigeon holed into anyone sect or follow anyone dogma.
    To lable me is to negate me.
    I refuse to be negated!!!
    What do you do if you get put on someone's ignore list then? :wink:
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Punk Exterminator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
    What do you do if you get put on someone's ignore list then? :wink:
    Thier loss.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Grand Cayman and Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Interesting thread, like wharfie I am going to come back, right now the center of my universe has escaped (two year old ran out front door). I was raised Catholic, went to an Anglican school, married in a Covenant Church, and occasionally attend for my wife's well being a Lutheran Church. However I don't believe in a God and haven't since I was 15, and as such don't haev a religion per se, though I have strong convictions on what is right or wrong and they tend to come from a Christian upbringing. Well cars are screeching so I had better get COU back inside the house.
    Support my Cause, 'Sleeping out to help Homeless Youth' by visiting www.firstgiving.com/paultyler and donating anything you can. I finished my three nights out in the snow! A couple pics, crappy blog and videos are on caymangolfer.spaces.live.com, check them out. It was a blast and makes me thankful I have a warm bed to live in everynight.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    2 fav teams, Dolphins and who's vs Jets

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Port Orchard WA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I also do not subscribe to any of the organized religions, there is too much evil in them. I do believe in a basic concept of good and evil, both being inherent in every one. The path you choose in life, whether you control the evil and do good or let it out and do bad determines where you get off this train at. If you make progress and your spirit grows, on to the next level.
    I am no mans judge and will not be judged by other men so religions designed by and for men don't impress me much. The main purpose of organized religion is to provide a crutch, something to lean on in hard times, a way of lessening your burdens and transcending the bonds of mortality. It speaks a basic drive, the need to belong to something greater than ourselves, to expand your existence and extend it beyond its earthly boundaries. It is a great crutch, easily manufactured.
    I prefer drugs.
    AND THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS:
    CHEATERS NEVER WIN!!!

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wish I could say but it's hard for me to understand it myself. I was raised Catholic and made the choice to go to church so I wasnt forced. I now have a lot of trouble w/ organized religion and the idea that what I believe is right and everyone else is going to hell.

Like I said before, it is hard for me to believe that a Christian is going to heaven because he's a believe but Ghandi is going to hell because he has a different set of beliefs. Deeds have to matter more than some Christians care to admit. If there is a God it just seems like he would care more about how you were as a human and how you treated other people than who you prayed to at night.

One day I feel like God exists and the next I feel like logically it just doesnt make sense. I go back and forth so it's hard for me to say I believe this. I see the Bible as a book of morales but not as a historical account of Gods words.

I support live and let live far too much to support organized religion which to me is very judgemental and hypocritical. I have no problem with religious people who have their beliefs but dont force it on others and judge everyone who doesnt believe everything they believe. The ones who know they are right, and thus act superior to everyone else, give all religious people a bad name and turn me off to organized religion more everyday. Who am I to say Catholics have it completely right and everyone else is wrong? If I were born in India I wouldnt have been raised a Catholic so a lot of time your religion is just a product of where you were born and your family. How do I know it is the one correct religion when I only know about it myself by chance?

Quote Quote