Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimum wage hike could hurt some

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Minimum wage hike could hurt some

For the first time in a decade some of the lowest paid workers in America are getting a raise.

The minimum wage is going up on Tuesday, and they'll start making $5.85 an hour - an increase of 70 cents.

But the increase may not add up for everyone.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...tml&frame=true
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    You sit on a throne of lies!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If a cut in hours (but not benefits) is the only consequence some people face because of this, big freaking deal. I think we're going to see more than that, particularly in places where the economy isn't so strong. I'm okay with somebody benefitting from a 35 hour week instead of a 40 hour one (or 17.5 hours instead of 20) instead of benefitting by getting a bump in money. Actually, a decrease in hours at the same overall take home pay could even be better for those who might want to better themselves by taking courses or getting other training.

I've got so many lawyers lined up to see me, you'd think I had tobacco leaking out of my breast implants.
    - Jimmy James
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Raising the minimum wage has many ill effects on the economy as a whole. There are critics of this stance whose knee-jerk reaction is to imply or overtly state that only people who don't care about poor people would criticize such a move. However, simple economics reveals that there are repercussions of raising the minimum wage. Businesses cut back hours and positions. Other businesses will raise their prices to pass on the extra cost. People on fixed incomes suffer.

It would be far wiser to make an investment in the education of the lower scale workers. Give them skills so they can compete if they really want to. There are no hand outs for skilled jobs. People need to pursue training and education. The government and society would be better served by addressing these issues first rather than increasing the minimum wage thereby eventually hurting more people than it helps.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Although I am against the minimum wage 90% of the time, with the rising costs of living I think this may be a time that warrants an exception. Generally speaking raising the minimum wage is harmful but when an inbalance between the lowest wages and the cost of living gets too extreme it may be ok. I think we may be nearing that time if not already there
    Better than Chris Long and Vernon Gholston
    PHILLIP MERLING
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    I love Mindwarp

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Akron, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I can't recall if it passed, but the last time around for state issues, Ohio tried to raise our minimum wage to something around $7.25. Most of the people I talked to at work didn't think it was the best idea for various reasons. I'll have to check on the exact numbers and if it passed.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    I love Mindwarp

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Akron, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ok, the Ohio one is 6.85, but gets adjusted automatically annually with the consumer price index.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    100% Homer. Don't like it? Get lost.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Funny how everybody screams for their own raises yet others don't deserve it.

Let me summarize: according to some posters here the economy is great and we have so much more money in our pockets. So what is it to everybody if they have to pay 10 cents more for a crappy McDonalds burger? Oh gee whiz..that will break the bank.

This whole we have to increase prices is a bunch of garbage. Even a 99c burger at McD or BK has a profit margin of roughly 70cents. The dam thing cost only 29 cents to buy and make.

I wonder what you all would say if your bosses would come back for the last 20 years and tell you "no raise for you" and when you look for an alternate job you won't make anymore money, same money, year in, year out.

Some people just don't have the money to get a better education or are not smart enough for higher education, yet they all provide valuable services to each of you.

What a greedy, selfish world we live in.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Loyalty to my country always. Loyalty to my government when it deserves it.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FFiB View Post
    Funny how everybody screams for their own raises yet others don't deserve it.

Let me summarize: according to some posters here the economy is great and we have so much more money in our pockets. So what is it to everybody if they have to pay 10 cents more for a crappy McDonalds burger? Oh gee whiz..that will break the bank.

This whole we have to increase prices is a bunch of garbage. Even a 99c burger at McD or BK has a profit margin of roughly 70cents. The dam thing cost only 29 cents to buy and make.

I wonder what you all would say if your bosses would come back for the last 20 years and tell you "no raise for you" and when you look for an alternate job you won't make anymore money, same money, year in, year out.

Some people just don't have the money to get a better education or are not smart enough for higher education, yet they all provide valuable services to each of you.

What a greedy, selfish world we live in.
    It is pretty amazing how people will claim how glorous the economy is, how wonderful tax cuts are and how great everything is then turn around and predict doom and gloom because poor people are getting 30 extra dollars a week to feed their families. Wow hope we can all live with the increase at McD's and Walmart.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Memphis
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't you guys know, Conservatives give more to charity. O'Reilly has made it clear that they are more concerned about poor people's well-being. So when they say they oppose the wage increase, that must mean they are doing it with the best intentions of poor people in mind. We are probably just misguided. Surely it has nothing to do with greed. Greed? I wasn't even aware that existed in a great Capitalist society such as ours. :wink:
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    aka FinSane

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    On one hand, this does hurt small businesses, because they will have to pay their lower level employers more, even the ones who dont deserve it. On the other hand, try living at $5.85 an hour. I bet you would have to move back in with your parents.
    Quote Quote