Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New study shows marijuana may fight cancer

1. -11
    You could have had free beer, for shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They should just use Ricky as a guniea pig.
    Once Dmac is drafted a Dmac Jersey will spontaneously materialize in the closet of each and every Dolfan...

...and not that replica crap either...
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    aka FinSane

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    THC research is really still just in it's infancy of research for future medicinal benefits:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0801112156.htm

Ya...but how often do people get infected with Kaposi's virus? I never even heard of it. What provoked them to do this study anyway?
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DolFan31 View Post
    Ya...but how often do people get infected with Kaposi's virus? I never even heard of it. What provoked them to do this study anyway?
    It's not just the herpes virus, but fact a THC weakened immune system causes increased susceptibility to virus shows there is cautionary evidence regarding THC.

It was in the article and is part of ongoing cancer search:

According to Dr. Groopman, the study illustrates the complicated role marijuana and other cannabinoids play in human health. Numerous types of cells display cannabinoid receptors on their outer surfaces, which act as switches that control cellular processes. Dr. Groopman's laboratory had previously demonstrated that THC could have a protective effect against a certain form of invasive, drug-resistant lung cancer.

By altering the cytoskeleton, THC effectively opens the door for KSHV, allowing the virus to more easily enter and infect the cell. "We can take away that effect by using antagonists that block the two cannabinoid receptors, which adds evidence that THC is the culprit," Dr. Groopman said.

Once a cell is infected, the presence of THC may also promote the cellular events that turn it cancerous, the researchers say.
    Dr. Groopman should really just have stopped the cancer research after his previous initial demonstrations. Clearly now though his research is tainted because no way could he find any possible detriments to THC without being "provoked".
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Seattle WA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I watched the history of drugs and why they are illegal. It just makes me angry. Pot is pretty much illegal to help get rid of mexicans.
    “If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base.”
    by Dave Berry
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan Dupree View Post
    I watched the history of drugs and why they are illegal. It just makes me angry. Pot is pretty much illegal to help get rid of mexicans.

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan Dupree View Post
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan7 View Post
    All I could find was several different places telling similar stories to this. This thread was the first I've heard of this argument so I dont know nearly enough about it to support, or deny it.

uring the Great Depression of the 1930s, lawmakers in the Southwestern states including Texas were in a pickle. During the preceding decades of prosperity, Mexican immigrants were welcomed to the Southwest as a needed source of labor.
    By the time the Depression set in, however, this same immigrant population was now viewed with suspicion and fear, seen as a threat to remaining American jobs. The problem, of course, was what to do or, plainly, how to get rid of them. Pot was the key. Mexicans were known to grow and smoke pot, lawmakers reasoned; making pot illegal demonizing it, linking its use to violence would certainly help move those Mexicans back south across the border or, just as good, lock 'em up in jail. Either way, problem solved!
    http://www.november.org/stayinfo/bre...inOnDrugs.html

The anti-marihuana law of 1937 was largely the federal government's response to political pressure from enforcement agencies and other alarmed groups who feared the use and spread of marihuana by "Mexicans." Recent evidence also suggests that the Federal Bureau of Narcotics resisted the enforcement burden of the antimarihuana law until mounting pressure on the Treasury Department led to a departmental decision, probably in 1935, to appease this fear, mostly in the Southwest and West, by federal legislation.
    http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/.../mustomj1.html

2nd link has some pretty compelling stuff imo.

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    aka FinSane

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A lot of that is true, because cocaine was used as a PR scare tactic against poor blacks living ghetto in the early 20th century. Most of us are too young to think of our world being a very hateful, ignorant place with regaurds to people of color. But back then, all you had to say was "ok, marijuana is making these mexicans crazy and theyll rape your women!" Most people back then didnt even know what marijuana was. It wasnt until the 60s that marijuana was commonplace.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonShula84 View Post
    All I could find was several different places telling similar stories to this. This thread was the first I've heard of this argument so I dont know nearly enough about it to support, or deny it.

http://www.november.org/stayinfo/bre...inOnDrugs.html

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/.../mustomj1.html

2nd link has some pretty compelling stuff imo.
    And here I thought it was the competition of hemp against paper and man-made fibers.

By the early twentieth century, the advent of the steam engine and the diesel engine ended the reign of the sailing ship. The advent of iron and steel for cable and ships' hulls further eliminated natural fibers in marine use, although hemp had long since fallen out of favour in the sailing industry in prefernce to manilla hemp. The invention of artificial fibers in the late thirties by DuPont further put strain on the market.
    The decision of the United States Congress to pass the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act was based in part on testimony derived from articles in newspapers owned by William Randolph Hearst, who had significant financial interests in the timber industry, which manufactured his newsprint. The background material also included that from 1880 to 1933 the hemp grown in the United States had declined from 15,000 to 1,200 acres, and that the price of line hemp had dropped from $12.50 per pound in 1914 to $9.00 per pound in 1933.[14] [15] As a result of the act, the production and use of hemp discontinued.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan7 View Post
    Not to be argumentative but I guess it depends on the type of pot you are smoking. There are some blends that will knock you on your keester, and debilitates just as effectively as booze. Now I could be speaking from experience, but I don't know I can't remember.

Something along the lines of Maui Wowie?

Quote Quote